Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Not necessarily. Vegetable protein has a different amino acid mix to animal protein. It's possible to have not enough of the right AAs to build the muscle you need.

My point is that any protein nutrition profile can be attained via non meat sources.

Dec 31, 2015
Santiago, Chile
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not necessarily. Vegetable protein has a different amino acid mix to animal protein. It's possible to have not enough of the right AAs to build the muscle you need.

That is based on science that is 40 years out of date. Scientists used to think that the body did not store amino acid building blocks and so you had to eat "complete protein" meals (cue a wave of diet books). They have since found that the body keeps what it has till it gets what it doesn't.

End result is that it is almost impossible to not get enough protein with a varied plant based diet.

Obviously an athlete will fine tune which nutrients they consume and in which amounts.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
That is based on science that is 40 years out of date. Scientists used to think that the body did not store amino acid building blocks and so you had to eat "complete protein" meals (cue a wave of diet books). They have since found that the body keeps what it has till it gets what it doesn't.

End result is that it is almost impossible to not get enough protein with a varied plant based diet.

Indeed. It's possible now to live your entire life ingesting a healthy diet of nutritional shakes.

Obviously an athlete will fine tune which nutrients they consume and in which amounts.
Oh, ok. It's like 30 years since I studied physiology and biochemistry :eek:

If he’s full vegan does that mean he can’t wear leather boots?

Lots of vegans don't wear leather. My wife is one. She was always vego but went full on vegan a few years ago. Stopped using dairy, honey and animal products in clothing. Started buying vegan boots - made out of microfibre or something.

Plant based diets - even ones with amounts meat and animal product in them - are probably the healthiest dietary regimes around.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Lots of vegans don't wear leather. My wife is one. She was always vego but went full on vegan a few years ago. Stopped using dairy, honey and animal products in clothing. Started buying vegan boots - made out of microfibre or something.

Lets be honest, its an easy thing to do.

I'll just Simpkin around this one mate.:D

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Veganism is a bit like a religion, or like a veganism spectrum. You have your moderate vegans who are ok with leather and maybe eggs or a bit of dairy, right up radical nut jobs storming restaurants

Where does she draw the line?

Well she keeps pets, mostly insects. Especially these things:

F4QYO0NFPQLJZKV.LARGE.jpg

Some of them are native and local and get released regularly into the environment.

Pets are a no-no among hardcore vegans.

There seems to be two sides to veganism - the really puritanical, religious side and the practical side. Some people are full on about it others not so much. My missus hates the smell of meat or cooking meat but doesn't whinge when I cook a steak that's brown on the outside and has an inch of raw meat in the middle, so she's nowhere near as bad as some. I get the thing about the exploitative nature of modern farming and of animals in general, and the idea that they are as sentient as humans really. Its a bit of a conceit to think they aren't. I don't object to looking them in the eye before I kill and eat them tho. Like the tool song says life feeds on life.

Vegans have industries devoted to them now. Once upon a time the market wasn't there but it is now, and you have to ask what the effects of industrialised farming and production of vegetable protein are on the world as well. How much habitat is destroyed to produce soy beans is one example. Another is the destruction of local farming communities as large agribusinesses take over huge tracts of land to provide soy products for the west and growing Asian middle class. Or the loss of production of local food sources, grains, vegetables etc etc as they are replaced by global crops such as soy beans.

*en soy beans.:D

Edited to change a word from real to really...

Last edited:
One thing about veganism that I like is that it stems from people thinking about what they eat and their impact on the world. Its an attempt to consider the consequences of their actions both on the world around them and their own health.

If more humans (including me no doubt) did this with their choices then the world would probably be a bit less ****ed up.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well she keeps pets, mostly insects. Especially these things:

F4QYO0NFPQLJZKV.LARGE.jpg

Some of them are native and local and get released regularly into the environment.

Pets are a no-no among hardcore vegans.

There seems to be two sides to veganism - the real puritanical, religious side and the practical side. Some people are full on about it others not so much. My missus hates the smell of meat or cooking meat but doesn't whinge when I cook a steak that's brown on the outside and has an inch of raw meat in the middle, so she's nowhere near as bad as some. I get the thing about the exploitative nature of modern farming and of animals in general, and the idea that they are as sentient as humans really. Its a bit of a conceit to think they aren't. I don't object to looking them in the eye before I kill and eat them tho. Like the tool song says life feeds on life.

Vegans have industries devoted to them now. Once upon a time the market wasn't there but it is now, and you have to ask what the effects of industrialised farming and production of vegetable protein are on the world as well. How much habitat is destroyed to produce soy beans is one example. Another is the destruction of local farming communities as large agribusinesses take over huge tracts of land to provide soy products for the west and growing Asian middle class. Or the loss of production of local food sources, grains, vegetables etc etc as they are replaced by global crops such as soy beans.

****en soy beans.:D

Nice :thumbsu: I wasn’t trying to take the piss, I find the vegan thing interesting. I do kind of get it because I love animals and hate the way they’re treated in a lot of farms. They just taste so bloody good though. I try to be conscious of where my food comes from. I have a similar mindset to you about killing and eating an animal. People need to respect where that meat has come from.

Yeah * soy beans

Back