Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Ironically, many insects are an excellent source of protein.

You eat her "stickas" (stick insects) and I suspect at least one vegan would turn cannibal real quick.

There are these weird brown beetles beatles from South America that plague around here at times. They are pretty similar to Christmas beatles. But they swarm in the 10s or 100s of thousands. There is a bit of movement dedicated to eating them developing. They are okay as a Satay but its hard to get past the idea of eating bugs.

Veganism is probably an inevitable worldwide outcome. The health aspects and cost benefits can't be denied. Give it another 100 years or so.

I was saying to a mate the other day that I’m a few generations they could be looking back on us in disbelief that we killed and ate animals.

Not sure about the health benefits though. I had some high cholesterol issues about a year ago and I jokingly said to the doctor “you’re not going to expect me to go vegan are you?”
She replied, very strongly “god no. Don’t let anyone trick you into thinking vegans have a healthy diet. They have to take all kinds of supplements to make up for the deficiencies of their diet.”

Veganism is probably an inevitable worldwide outcome. The health aspects and cost benefits can't be denied. Give it another 100 years or so.

Yeah realistically I think that's true. Vegetarianism for sure.

We live on a 300 acre beef farm. We only rent it, don't own it. Its some of the best soil I've ever seen. We could grow enough avocado's here to feed most of the world (maybe not but significantly more people than the cows feed) if we filled the place with avo trees. The food we grow is unreal and along this ridge line people grow weed and the buds are huge. Its the same all round the area cos of the soil.

The previous owner told me he stopped vegetable production because it wasn't financially viable for a farmer in Australia in the 90s. Other people have since told me he used to have truckloads of produce come from this place back in the day. Soon none of the beef that now comes from here will stay in Australia. The prices in Asia will make it worthwhile exporting the lot. i expect when that day comes the attitude to cattle farming in Australia will change significantly.

Lots of vegans don't wear leather. My wife is one. She was always vego but went full on vegan a few years ago. Stopped using dairy, honey and animal products in clothing. Started buying vegan boots - made out of microfibre or something.

#nimbinarealife

I'm imagining Benny Brown reading this thread nodding in agreement over the last page or so.

I was saying to a mate the other day that I’m a few generations they could be looking back on us in disbelief that we killed and ate animals.

Not sure about the health benefits though. I had some high cholesterol issues about a year ago and I jokingly said to the doctor “you’re not going to expect me to go vegan are you?”
She replied, very strongly “god no. Don’t let anyone trick you into thinking vegans have a healthy diet. They have to take all kinds of supplements to make up for the deficiencies of their diet.”

Cholesterol and diet is a very misunderstood correlation. Your genetics play the biggest role in that factor.

I'd give your doctor the arse if I was you.

Without mass population control of the animals we currently do eat we'll likely be eradicated ourselves by then.

#planetoftheapes

It is genetic for me. She said that. She just recommended I cut back on the booze because my diet is pretty good.

I doubt the booze is a significant cholesterol factor. Get off any excess weight and get on some statins.

Better yet, go and get a calcium analysis done on your chest cavity. It's the best analysis going is non invasive and takes about 10 minutes to get done. I recommended it to a mate of mine and it could have very well saved his life after a diagnosis revealed he was in the danger zone.

I doubt the booze is a significant cholesterol factor. Get off any excess weight and get on some statins.

Better yet, go and get a calcium analysis done on your chest cavity. It's the best analysis going is non invasive and takes about 10 minutes to get done. I recommended it to a mate of mine and it could have very well saved his life after a diagnosis revealed he was in the danger zone.

Whilst I’m not in the shape I used to be when I was traing, I’m still in ok Knick. I probably should get back into a bit of training. I do bugger all these days

Whilst I’m not in the shape I used to be when I was traing, I’m still in ok Knick. I probably should get back into a bit of training. I do bugger all these days

Again, not a huge issue with cholesterol, but getting the weight down helps associated issues. Get the calcium test if you have elevated cholesterol mate. My cholesterol was tracking at 4.9, did the calcium test and was rated in the moderate range (no need for any invasive therapies), my doc put me on a mild statin for 3 months, lost some weight, bingo cholesterol down to 2.9 & B.P. of a 20 year old (112/70, was 135ish/88ish).

Last edited:
Well the strongest man in the world is also juiced right up.

This makes a hell of a lot more difference than the source of a persons protein. I highly doubt he has a healthy diet regardless of the origin of his food. His kidneys would be getting smashed with that level of protein intake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vegans have industries devoted to them now. Once upon a time the market wasn't there but it is now, and you have to ask what the effects of industrialised farming and production of vegetable protein are on the world as well. How much habitat is destroyed to produce soy beans is one example. Another is the destruction of local farming communities as large agribusinesses take over huge tracts of land to provide soy products for the west and growing Asian middle class. Or the loss of production of local food sources, grains, vegetables etc etc as they are replaced by global crops such as soy beans.

****en soy beans.:D

Myth. Most soy bean crops are grown for feeding to livestock.

It would be interesting to see his diet/meal plan.
I wonder what it takes to fuel one of the best forwards in the game with no meat?

It will be come cheaper to make meat than grow it.

By definition lab grown meat will be vegan.

People could be vegan and eat bacon.

Myth. Most soy bean crops are grown for feeding to livestock.

Well that doesn't make it okay.

Corn is similar too. Rice in parts of the world. I was just having a go at soy beans to see who bit. Large scale farming of any sort seems more efficient and is in terms of producing a product cheaply if you live in a city miles away and own shares in the argi business but you get more nutritional value out a small mixed farm, even a subsistence level one, than the equivalent area of monoculture crop. Rant rant rant...

#nimbinarealife

I'm imagining Benny Brown reading this thread nodding in agreement over the last page or so.

He actually strikes me as the sort of person who would be happier about this sort of conversation happening on the BF thread about him than if we were just banging on about the 10 or 15 goals we all want him to kick on the weekend.

He'd be all over it if he was involved.

Some great reading these last couple pages. I've been vegan for close to 15 years now, and before that, vegetarian for a decade or so. The only supplement I'm rigorous about on a daily basis is B12. Just cannot get it from plants. The food part is pretty easy/straightforward, once you get into the groove of it.

Silverback gorillas are a vegan species. Would not pick a fight with one of those guys!

Ferbs, like your wife, I don't wear leather, and I do my utmost best to try and avoid products that have been tested on animals. But no one is perfect, and all you can do is the best you can do. I hate the "vegan police" types, and most fellow vegans make me cringe with their judgement. That's not what it's about. It's just about trying to go through this life being informed about the mark you are making on the planet and trying to make the kindest choices you can.

I have no "beef" (haha- ohh dear..) with people who hunt an animal in the wild, kill it quickly, and then eat it. That is the food chain. But the cruelty involved in factory farming and slaughterhouses, and the carbon footprint created on our planet by the meat industry are unforgiveable.

It's a very complex subject, but it seems to be becoming less and less divisive as time goes by, which is encouraging.

It's one of a very, very long list of the things I love about BBB though.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back