Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Was a little surprised when his name was called out but have really warmed to this selection.

A lot of posters seem akin to Mills & Boon readers on this site, dreaming of meeting mysterious strangers and getting far more excited by the written word than the reality in front of them.

If Ben had been an unsighted kid from the WAFL colts with an exciting sounding phantom draft profile people would've gizzed themselves over him. But instead he was under our noses ponying up playing against men and doing pretty damn well for his age/development. Showing some pretty impressive traits for his size.

You've got a 2 metre tall kid who can take ridiculous contested marks at full extension. Is catlike off the deck and moves so quickly for his size albeit a little ungainly as he gets used to his frame. Plays with vigour and excitement and looks like he wants to be out there. Thumping set shot too. Bit of Majak about him but with a lifetime of playing the game behind him.

This isn't a typical beanpole project player. We're not wondering if he's up to leaving home, living a balanced professional lifestyle, adjusting to a new environment or has the fortitude to attack a senior game of footy. He's proved that already. And he's 20 ffs. People are pointing out weaknesses in his game - he's on par with Mabon in age and noone expected him to be a complete package in the VFL this year.

If you're going to make a speculative pick I reckon a rucksized forward with a great mindset and some nice athleticism is a good punt.

Nice post KC, and all good points.

Did Brown attend a combine at all?

I'm swear I read it reported that he tested amazingly well. Freakishly.
I know a bloke from a WAFL club who gets the results. See if he can let me know.
Thanks mate. That'd be great.

Remember he has done this the hard way, no soft way through playing against kids and with hype driving their chances.

Did well in at TFL level (men), took a risk to move to step up to Melb and play for Werribee (men)....and performed well enough to be drafted by those watching him every week.

Bloody good effort regardless whether he makes it or not, and plenty of others mightn't either in higher picks, but he has definitely earned the opportunity.

Did Brown attend a combine at all?

Yes. The numbers are the percentile.

Skinfolds: 96
Handspan: 83
Arm length: 86
Standing vertical Leap: 44
Right leg running jump: 92
Left leg running jump: 74
5m sprint: 83
10m sprint: 76
20m sprint: 65
Agility: 91
Beep Test: 56
Repeat Sprint: 36
3k Time Trial: 74

Is that percentile in his position (tested against other tall forwards and rucks) or in the whole draft pool?

If it's the whole pool, then that's ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NM had a white and a brown, still have a Black and now have another Brown.

Needs a Green.

Great jump on the lead, big strong hands at the end of some long arms, quick off the mark and agile. Not bad for a 199cm full forward.

Needs to work on the tank to be a serious ruck option.

Not a big watcher of the twos so no opinion of value from me. But I am concerned at the general lack of love for Mr Brown on BF. Hope this is an inspired choice that will make some people on here embarassed somewhere down the track. Hopefully.

Great jump on the lead, big strong hands at the end of some long arms, quick off the mark and agile. Not bad for a 199cm full forward.

Needs to work on the tank to be a serious ruck option.

Would love to see some other 200cm players and their results from previous years, but I reckon those results are crazy. 91% for agility at 200cm doesn't make sense.

Would love to see some other 200cm players and their results from previous years, but I reckon those results are crazy. 91% for agility at 200cm doesn't make sense.
92% running jump off preferred leg after 76% 10 meter sprint with 86% arm length for a 200cm player = hard to spoil.

92% running jump off preferred leg after 76% 10 meter sprint with 86% arm length for a 200cm player = hard to spoil.

Yep. I think we've found the answer to "What did Bryce see in him?" - a 20yo Drew Petrie

Yep. I think we've found the answer to "What did Bryce see in him?" - a 20yo Drew Petrie
He is very raw though. I don't expect much from him next year. He and Daw make for interesting, and competing, prospects.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back