Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

The entire team was a liability.

Oh and Brown was dropped, after his missus miscarried one of their twins.

Yeah I definitely think a lot of supporters don't really give this the consideration it deserves. He was already in bad form and I can only imagine how this would have effected him mentally. I don't know if you're saying that the club was in the wrong for dropping him, but surely could have used some time away from the game during this time.

In any case, the decision to trade him was made. He was great for us for four odd years and who really cares how well he goes at this point as it is unlikely that we will be contending while he is still active. Can't see how it will come back to bite us.

Yeah I definitely think a lot of supporters don't really give this the consideration it deserves. He was already in bad form and I can only imagine how this would have effected him mentally. I don't know if you're saying that the club was in the wrong for dropping him, but surely could have used some time away from the game during this time.

In any case, the decision to trade him was made. He was great for us for four odd years and who really cares how well he goes at this point as it is unlikely that we will be contending while he is still active. Can't see how it will come back to bite us.
Eh. I'm still uneasy about how that particular incident played out. Shaw was criticised by the media for it, and probably rightfully so. Why he felt the need to omit/drop him rather than "managed" or have him out for personal reasons... It was odd. He might have already been planning to drop Brown but fair dinkum it was handled badly.

Hadn't actually thought about that incident for a while, but people were making weird comments about him never being dropped when for something like 3 seasons in a row he cracked 60, with nary a proper pre-season preceding any of them, and then last year when everything was s**t he was actually dropped.

For the most part I'm with the Ziebuill and you on this one, what's done is done and I'd rather enjoy Stephenson's future than cry/gloat over where Brown's career has gone. But sometimes you remember something and arc up a little. Other than his last year he was a very good, if flawed, player.

The entire team was a liability.

Oh and Brown was dropped, after his missus miscarried one of their twins.

It's a real grey area there, he was dropped for form. And I hate to sound insensitive about the "miscarriage" but if you read the reports at the time it was a vanishing twin they never saw on an ultrasound and one she said she knew existed through a dream and the level of nausea she was having. I've been through a mid term miscarriage, I'm not going to judge somebody for thinking what they want to think and I'm sure that it had an emotional toll on them but it also happened a game or so before he did his knee so the effect of that incident was negligible on his overall season.

It's a real grey area there, he was dropped for form. And I hate to sound insensitive about the "miscarriage" but if you read the reports at the time it was a vanishing twin they never saw on an ultrasound and one she said she knew existed through a dream and the level of nausea she was having. I've been through a mid term miscarriage, I'm not going to judge somebody for thinking what they want to think and I'm sure that it had an emotional toll on them but it also happened a game or so before he did his knee so the effect of that incident was negligible on his overall season.
I always wondered about that. I can't say I know much about pregnancy so just assumed that there was some evidence in the ultrasound that there had been a second child, because otherwise it always sounded strange to me.

And yes, there was certainly a reason to drop him for form. While the media arguably ran too hard with the story, it also felt like an own goal and with all the stories floating about I can't help but wonder if in retrospect that was an omen of things to come.

Good spot for them to be in. Tom McDonald is one of the best performed in the comp, Jackson is young and playing very well, Brown and Weideman, who would've been number 1 and 2 at the start of the year, banging the door down in the VFL.
There was no shortage on here declaring Tom Mc Donald a shitman who there was no way we should take.
Humble pie often tastes like a s**t sandwich.

I always wondered about that. I can't say I know much about pregnancy so just assumed that there was some evidence in the ultrasound that there had been a second child, because otherwise it always sounded strange to me.

And yes, there was certainly a reason to drop him for form. While the media arguably ran too hard with the story, it also felt like an own goal and with all the stories floating about I can't help but wonder if in retrospect that was an omen of things to come.

I'm basing it purely off her instagram announcement, I remember it standing out that she was making a point of being moved around the country meant they couldn't get the first ultrasound done and by the time it was done there was only one baby. In the case of confirmed vanishing twins one is generally identified in the first ultrasound and then it vanishes. I always feel cruel talking about it in that regard, she believes there was a second one and she's allowed to feel what she likes but nothing she said indicated it was medically confirmed.

I hated that he got dropped that week though because that became the narrative, that we were heartless but he was due no matter what for a spell. Doing his knee pretty much on return was then the terrible post script to his time at North.

Nek minnit
d1ed0a99360d44e1b4c2d971a2c2765c.jpg

How'd that work out for them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BBB and Fraser Rosman for Stepho and Atu. Though we were robbed blind for Benny, I would do this trade 10 times out of 10 again considering it lands us Jaidyn.

He'd be a walk up start to our side.

He would, but in his current form added to the lingering knee doubt, he'd have been as ineffective as he was last year.

We had an out and out gun who peaked when he kicked 10 against Port in round 22 of 2019. He's been seriously down since then, and you now wonder if he'll ever get back to what he was.

Yeah BBB wouldn't get a game behind Big Tommy Campbell and Nick Souva Larkey! Couple of goal kicking machines right there

Not sure anyone is actually saying that. We're just saying he's not a loss in his current form.

Strange that you felt the need to post this bitchy whine here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back