50 Giant Games - Giles to be first past the post

Remove this Banner Ad

It's good to see Kennedy make it. Everyone always talks about all our high draft picks, but it's worth remembering that every club had three or four chances to take Kennedy in the 2010 draft and then the rookie draft that followed - nobody but nobody wanted him. So he came to us in 2011 for the NEAFL season and now he is easily sitting in our best 22 and performs solidly week in week out.

Great to see him hit this milestone.

He's also one of the nicest kids you'd ever like to meet. One of my favourites at the club.

At 18, Adam Kennedy’s AFL dream was drifting further away. He’d spoken to several AFL clubs but the Western Jets midfielder had been overlooked in both the 2010 National and Rookie drafts.
“Getting overlooked in that draft when I was an 18-year-old, I was pretty disappointed,” Kennedy said. “I’d sort of had given myself a chance and other people told me I might be a 50-50 chance of maybe getting rookied.
“I spoke to a few clubs and obviously as a kid wanting to play AFL you sort of dare to dream and unfortunately it didn’t happen for me that year so I was fairly gutted I must admit.”
But 12 months later, Kennedy’s disappointment turned to elation in his living room in Melton as he sat with his parents Tony and Kaye and was told he would be pre-listed to join the GIANTS.

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-07-18/daring-to-dream#sthash.x2SrxN0v.dpuf

It's good to see Kennedy make it. Everyone always talks about all our high draft picks, but it's worth remembering that every club had three or four chances to take Kennedy in the 2010 draft and then the rookie draft that followed - nobody but nobody wanted him. So he came to us in 2011 for the NEAFL season and now he is easily sitting in our best 22 and performs solidly week in week out.

Great to see him hit this milestone.

He's also one of the nicest kids you'd ever like to meet. One of my favourites at the club.
Spot on.
Known Adam since he was a kid and I'm so rapt for him because as you say he's just a champion fella.
Great family.
I watched him right through his under 18 career and thought he'd done enough and was glad he found his way to the Giants eventually.
Then it was just hoping he'd get a crack and when he got 30 touches or thereabouts on debut against Sydney in the inaugural game it was just fantastic.
So then I just hoped he could do ok and get another contract.
Now, all bias aside I reckon he'd be one of the first picked and if I were list management at Richmond I'd be going for him in a big way.
He's got 200 games written all over him.
He's highly skilled,quick and super courageous.
He was such a small kid but he's filled out and grown nicely.
So thrilled he brings his 50 up at the G against my Tigers and I'll be there to see it.
You've got a gem I reckon . One whose sparkle is hidden amongst the many other gems you have.
Well done Kenners and may you play many many more.

So we end the year with Shiel being the final guy to join the 50 games club:

Most Giants games so far:
Callan Ward (61), Devon Smith (58), Adam Treloar (57), Tom Scully, (55), Adam Kennedy (54),
Toby Greene (52), Jonathan Giles, Jeremy Cameron, (51), Dylan Shiel (49), Tom Bugg (48),
Phil Davis (46), Curtly Hampton, (45), Stephen Coniglio, Adam Tomlinson (44), Tim Mohr (43),
Rhys Palmer (40), Will Hoskin-Elliot (38), Lachie Whitfield (30), Jon Patton (29),
Nick Haynes, Jacob Townsend, (27), Sam Frost (21), Nathan Wilson, Zac Williams (18),
Josh Kelly, Lachie Plowman (17), Matt Buntine (15), Aidan Corr (14).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back