Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett

Remove this Banner Ad

Should fight the bullet and cancel the sport.

Look at women's footy. Injury galore
We aren’t just talking about general injury’s, even long term stuff.
It’s CTE specifically because we are only really starting to learn about it and it isn’t just living with discomfort when someone is older or risks that can be taken into account

These brain conditions are changing the way these peoples brains work with terrible long term outcomes… just look at Tuck and Frawley, Both deaths have strong links to them being affected by CTE later in life and resulting in mental health issues that led to their deaths

It’s CTE specifically because we are only really starting to learn about it and it isn’t just living with discomfort when someone is older or risks that can be taken into account

These brain conditions are changing the way these peoples brains work with terrible long term outcomes… just look at Tuck and Frawley, Both deaths have strong links to them being affected by CTE later in life

People die playing footy from normal incidents that changing rules can't fix.

Safer just to end the sport

It’s based on new rules/interpretations brought in this year, AFL trying to protect themselves from future litigation surrounding CTE and concussion
Yeah, but is contact to the head more common than it was? I seem to remember plenty of ‘hip and shoulders’ where the contact was exactly that.

Is it that bumping is less common these days and players aren’t expecting it. Whereas, in the past both players went with ‘hip and shoulders’ and the head was safe.

I dunno. Seems these days pretty much all bumps result in a hit to the head.

Yeah, but is contact to the head more common than it was? I seem to remember plenty of ‘hip and shoulders’ where the contact was exactly that.

Is it that bumping is less common these days and players aren’t expecting it. Whereas, in the past both players went with ‘hip and shoulders’ and the head was safe.

I dunno. Seems these days pretty much all bumps result in a hit to the head.
Think it’s about the same in terms of % resulting in head contact it’s just that now the afl are actively trying to reduce the chance of it happening where before they didn’t really care because it was seen as a footy act and didn’t understand the long term risks associated with it

Match Review campaigner is a joke. 2 basically identical incidents with 2 different outcomes and 2 different suspension results - except not the way you'd expect.

Incident 1 - Marlion Pickett bumps Dylan Moore from the side and lays a shepherd to protect a teammate that has the ball. Majority of contact is made shoulder to shoulder, with a glance of the head at the end. Moore passes the concussion test and plays out the rest of the match with no issue.

Incident 2 - Jake Kolodjashnij bumps Jack Higgins from the side and lays a shepherd to protect a teammate that has the ball. Majority of contact is made to the head. Higgins fails the concussion test, is subbed out, and will miss a week of footy.

One incident got a 1 week suspension, the other got nothing. This is coming from the sporting body that says the head is sacrosanct and that the result is more important than the intent. In what world does Pickett get a suspension but Kolodjashnij get nothing...

Last edited:
Match Review campaigner is a joke. 2 basically identical incidents with 2 different outcomes and 2 different suspension results - except not the way you'd expect.

Incident 1 - Marlion Pickett bumps Dylan Moore from the side and lays a shepherd to protect a teammate that has the ball. Majority of contact is made shoulder to shoulder, with a glance of the head at the end. Moore passes the concussion test and plays out the rest of the match with no issue.

Incident 2 - Jake Kolodjashnij bumps Jack Higgins from the side and lays a shepherd to protect a teammate that has the ball. Majority of contact is made to the head. Higgins fails the concussion test, is subbed out, and will miss two weeks of footy.

One incident got a 1 week suspension, the other got nothing. This is coming from the sporting body that says the head is sacrosanct and that the result is more important than the intent. In what world does Pickett get a suspension but Kolodjashnij get nothing...
In the world where Geesook‘s twin brother signs off on the MRP findings. It’s a disgrace and the conflict of interest is obvious. In the corporate world Brad would be banned from any decisions to do with Geesook but not at AFL house. Gilligan is running a fing circus.

In the world where Geesook‘s twin brother signs off on the MRP findings. It’s a disgrace and the conflict of interest is obvious. In the corporate world Brad would be banned from any decisions to do with Geesook but not at AFL house. Gilligan is running a fing circus.
Couple this with the complete lack of media attention on Kolodjashnij. Slobbo spent 2 days on AFL 360 ranting about how Lynch should've been suspended, and both he and Gerard were united in Pickett's suspension being upheld. Yet not one second devoted to an almost identical incident with a significantly worse outcome.

A break away league needs to happen ASAP, the AFL has been setup to social condition the population into thinking constant rule changes and other social woke agendas are normal. Brain wash the masses and have them all comply to the new world. AFL is a perfect platform to do this as there as so many people invested in the message.

These brain conditions are changing the way these peoples brains work with terrible long term outcomes… just look at Tuck and Frawley, Both deaths have strong links to them being affected by CTE later in life and resulting in mental health issues that led to their deaths
I think we can all agree that CTE is a terrible thing.

In response, the AFL has been to try and do everything possible to show that it is reducing the risk of head trauma. They penalise and suspend players for overly aggressive spoils and sling tackles. They clearly want the shepherd/bump/hip & shoulder out of the game and the latest rule change (potential to cause injury) is just another step in this direction.

Don't be surprised when a player gets a 1 week suspension for rough conduct when he executes a perfect hip & shoulder, but a concussion is caused by whiplash and/or head hitting a third player or the ground. They will shortly thereafter write a new rule about the hip & shoulder, reclassify it as a "shoulder charge" and outlaw it. In the same way that a perfect tackle is now illegal, so goes the bump.

I've laid a few bumps in my time. Most of them were fair and in the spirit of the game. Most of my opponents were braced and ready for impact. If you catch a guy when he's open and not braced it can be brutal. I've given and received a few of those. It doesn't worry me, but I don't necessarily want my kids exposed to that part of the game. It's why Mums let their kids play soccer (where, ironically, CTE is a bigger risk) and not AFL or Rugby.

I think we can all agree that CTE is a terrible thing.

In response, the AFL has been to try and do everything possible to show that it is reducing the risk of head trauma. They penalise and suspend players for overly aggressive spoils and sling tackles. They clearly want the shepherd/bump/hip & shoulder out of the game and the latest rule change (potential to cause injury) is just another step in this direction.

Don't be surprised when a player gets a 1 week suspension for rough conduct when he executes a perfect hip & shoulder, but a concussion is caused by whiplash and/or head hitting a third player or the ground. They will shortly thereafter write a new rule about the hip & shoulder, reclassify it as a "shoulder charge" and outlaw it. In the same way that a perfect tackle is now illegal, so goes the bump.

I've laid a few bumps in my time. Most of them were fair and in the spirit of the game. Most of my opponents were braced and ready for impact. If you catch a guy when he's open and not braced it can be brutal. I've given and received a few of those. It doesn't worry me, but I don't necessarily want my kids exposed to that part of the game. It's why Mums let their kids play soccer (where, ironically, CTE is a bigger risk) and not AFL or Rugby.
The thing is Kolodjashnij did exactly that on the weekend, caused a concussion to Jack Higgins who will miss an extra week of footy - yet there was no penalty. I am happy for harsher penalties for dangerous head-high actions, however the inconsistency in rulings is ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incident 2 - Jake Kolodjashnij bumps Jack Higgins from the side and lays a shepherd to protect a teammate that has the ball. Majority of contact is made to the head. Higgins fails the concussion test, is subbed out, and will miss two weeks of footy.

exactly

brad scott doing favours for his geelol mafia bro

The thing is Kolodjashnij did exactly that on the weekend, caused a concussion to Jack Higgins who will miss an extra week of footy - yet there was no penalty. I am happy for harsher penalties for dangerous head-high actions, however the inconsistency in rulings is ridiculous.

That's what gets me the most. Geelong do it with serious results and nothing to see. Richmond does it with nothing results and let's nail him.

Cause the message then becomes it is more important what jumper the player is wearing than what they do.

what justification did they use to let him off?

A break away league needs to happen ASAP, the AFL has been setup to social condition the population into thinking constant rule changes and other social woke agendas are normal. Brain wash the masses and have them all comply to the new world. AFL is a perfect platform to do this as there as so many people invested in the message.

If AFL head office under Gilligan was a political party they would have been voted out in a landslide years ago.

Based on the findings of the Tribunal, Anthony Albanese is a monty to win this week, as Scott Morrison has to miss Saturday's big clash as his tackle on the poor little school kid yesterday had the "potential to cause serious injury".

Was about to put that video up myself Nobby.

Good on you Eddie.

It was a textbook bump ,still shaking my head how he copped a week and this case was trial by media again.

Last edited:
Was about to put that video up myself Nobby.

Good on you Eddie.

It was a textbook bump ,still shaking my head how he copped a week and this case was trial by media again.

First time I saw the Sydney one. Wow. Total accident, was pushed into it and then clashed heads. There wasn’t even a bump, he didn’t have time to choose to do anything. Ffs the poor bugger had no options.
Game is stuffed.

Eddie nailed it, I'm sure it's already been mentioned here, but by using the logic to rub out Marlion, you should have also rubbed out the guy who fell on Higgins and knocked him out.

damn eddie going nuts there and he's 100% right

also i hadn't watched that Swans one, how the * did he get done lol WTF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back