50 Years of the Saints - Countdown to NAB 1, 2017.

50 Years of the Saints - Countdown to NAB 1, 2017. (10 Days to go)

StKilda-logo-1995.gif
Hawthorn-logo-1997.gif

Round 16, 1997
Date: 19th July, 1997.
Crowd: 43,181

After a hard fought loss to Adelaide at Football Park in Round 15, the 5th placed Saints were back at Waverley for today's Saturday afternoon encounter with their 8th placed rivals Hawthorn. St.Kilda were looking to get back onto the winners list and move into the top four again, sitting just outside on percentage.

Hawthorn had lost badly to Richmond the week before, and were hoping to remain inside the eight today.

After a tight first half, the Saints stormed out of the blocks in the 3rd quarter, piling on 9 goals 3 behinds to Hawthorn's 2 behinds to take a 79 point lead into the final change. On the back of Brownlow medal favourite Robert Harvey's 40 possessions and young gun Joel Smith's 23 and 3 goals, St.Kilda's lead would never be relinquished, with the Saints running out 79 point winners.

Here is the 9 goal third quarter in it's entirety.​

GOALS:
St.Kilda: Loewe 4, Everitt 4, Heatley 4, Smith 3, Jones 2, Lappin, Thompson, Winmar
Hawthorn: Graham 3, Rawlings 2, Treleven, Scott, Taylor, Salmon

DISPOSALS:
St.Kilda: Harvey 40, Smith 23, Brown 22, Burke 22, Loewe 22
Hawthorn: Treleven 28, Crawford 27, Woods 20

Did I hear Peter McKenna take a rather unsubtle dig at Don Scott's possible sexual preference or was that just me? o_O:D
HAHA, I heard that too - shook my head at the thought of someone saying that in today's game. They'd be castrated, lol.

50 Years of the Saints - Countdown to NAB 1, 2017. (9 Days to go)

StKilda-logo-1995.gif
Brisbane-logo-1997.gif

AFL_Premiership_Cup_Icon.png

1st Qualifying Final, 1997
Date: 7th September, 1997.
Crowd: 50,035

Top of the table St.Kilda would play host to the 8th placed, newly merged Brisbane Lions in today's match at Waverley. St.Kilda hadn't been back to the finals since 1992, but this year the boys from Moorabbin, who were led by newly crowned Brownlow medalist Robert Harvey, launched an assault during the latter stages of the year and headed into the '97 finals series having won 7 consecutive games to move into top spot by the end of Round 21 and hold onto pole position during the final round of the AFL season. The Saints 33 point win over Port Adelaide in the final round secured the club's second ever minor premiership, finishing the year with 15 wins and 7 losses.

Brisbane had made a remarkable turnaround in 1997 considering what had transpired the year before with Fitzroy and Brisbane merging. The Lions finished 10-1-11 and would play in their first final under the Brisbane Lions name. As for the two sides before the merger, the Bears had finished in 3rd in 1996, whilst Fitzroy hadn't made a finals series since 1986.

Today's contest was historic on many levels, but a place in a preliminary final was the reward for the victors today.

GOALS:
St.Kilda: Loewe 3, Keogh 3, Winmar 2, D. Wakelin 2, Everitt 2, Harvey, Burke, Jones, Lappin, Hall, Sierakowski, Heatley, Traianidis
Brisbane: Akermanis 4, Bradshaw 3, Lawrence 3, Leppitsch, T. Lynch, Robbins

DISPOSALS:
St.Kilda: Harvey 33, Burke 28, Daniels 25, Jones 25
Brisbane: Fletcher 28, Hart 26, Akermanis 18

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
50 Years of the Saints - Countdown to NAB 1, 2017. (15 Days to go)

StKilda-logo-1995.gif
Hawthorn-logo-1983.gif

Round 6, 1996
Date: 4th May, 1996.
Crowd: 30,225

The 1-1-3 Hawks played host to the 2-3 Saints this Saturday night at Waverley, with both sides out of the top 8 and looking to begin moving up the ladder. Sydney had beaten Hawthorn by 12 points the week before, whilst the Saints had run over the top of Footscray by 26 points, two days after the passing of St.Kilda legend Trevor Barker.

Emotions were high down at Moorabbin and with Barkers funeral only a few days ago, it was only a matter of if the Saints would use that emotion to their advantage.

GOALS:
St.Kilda: Loewe 6, Everitt 3, Burke, Beveridge, Vidovic, Jones
Hawthorn: Hudson 4, Salmon 2, Platten 2, Crawford

DISPOSALS:
St.Kilda: Harvey 30, Keogh 30, Daniels 27, Burke 26
Hawthorn: Crawford 26, Pritchard 20, Condon 19, Holland 19

That's one thing I don't miss about mid winter night games at Waverley: frostbite.

50 Years of the Saints - Countdown to NAB 1, 2017. (8 Days to go)

StKilda-logo-1995.gif
Sydney-logo-1997.gif

Round 5, 2002
Date: 27th April, 2002.
Crowd: 21,007

After beating Carlton by 24 points in Round 1, the Saints had lost 3 on the trot heading into their round 5 encounter with the 2-2 Swans. St.Kilda coach Grant Thomas was in his first full season in charge after taking over late in the 2001 season after the sacking of Malcolm Blight and with a very young list hoping for gradual improvement.

The Saints were thumped by 122 points by the energetic young Geelong team at Kardinia Park in Round 4, a lamentable response to their 83-point defeat by Port Adelaide in Round 3. To make matters worse, Aaron Hamill, Stewart Loewe, Heath Black and Max Hudghton were added to an injury list including captain Robert Harvey, ruckman Peter Everitt and versatile midfielder Nathan Burke. Young forward Justin Koschitzke also struggled through the game with a back injury.

Despite the injuries to key players the Saints battled manfully in today's game, taking it to the Swans and leading at every change.

We now take you to the final 10 minutes of the final quarter, St.Kilda leading 7-7-49 to Sydney 5-8-38.

GOALS:
St.Kilda: Schwarze 2, Begley, Callaghan, Milne, Peckett, Wulf, X. Clarke
Sydney: Williams 2, Cresswell, Dunkley, Bolton, Maxfield, Hall, Stevens

DISPOSALS:
St.Kilda: Voss 27, Dal Santo 25, Lawrence 25, Begley 22, Hayes 22
Sydney: Kelly 28, Cresswell 22, Williams 20

50 Years of the Saints - Countdown to NAB 1, 2017. (7 Days to go)

StKilda-logo-1995.gif
Fremantle-logo-1997.gif

Round 17, 2002
Date: 28th July, 2002.
Crowd: 8,078

Stewart Loewe's final season at St.Kilda wasn't a memorable one. St.Kilda had won 4 games heading into today's match with Fremantle and were set to bottom out under first year coach Grant Thomas.

Interestingly enough the Saints had beaten Carlton the week before and with a plethora of young talent, were showing signs late in the year that it could turn a lot quicker than most had predicted. With the likes of Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Gehrig, Hayes, Dal Santo and Xavier Clarke, the nucleus of a remodelled St.Kilda side was on show.

GOALS:
St.Kilda: Gehrig 3, Everitt 3, Milne 3, Thompson 2, Baker 2, Hamill 2, Jones, Voss, Loewe
Fremantle: Longmuir 3, Grover, Hasleby, Koops, McPharlin, Medhurst, Pavlich, Simmonds, Woods

DISPOSALS:
St.Kilda: Moyle 28, Thompson 24, Riewoldt 21
Fremantle: Bell 33, Hasleby 26, McPharlin 26, Pavlich 23

50 Years of the Saints - Countdown to NAB 1, 2017. (6 Days to go)

StKilda-logo-1995.gif
Geelong-logo-2000.gif

Round 19, 2002
Date: 11th August, 2002.
Crowd: 25,552

It would be young up and coming sides St.Kilda and Geelong taking each other on again for the second time in 2002, with St.Kilda losing the first game by a whopping 122 points in Geelong. Many in the AFL had noted the amount of talent either side had, and barring any unforseen circumstances, would be the two clubs vying for a premiership in the years to come. Although many will think otherwise, the St.Kilda v Geelong rivalry began on this day in August. St.Kilda had only managed 5 wins in 18 Rounds, whilst Geelong sat in 6th with 10 wins and 8 losses.

You can throw records away for St.Kilda v Geelong games of the 00's however. This was a classic.

GOALS:
St.Kilda: Wulf 4, Loewe 3, Riewoldt 2, Milne 2, Hamill, Thompson, Baker, Begley
Geelong: Johnson 4, Mooney 3, Chapman 2, Kinglsey 2, Kelly 2, Corey, Wojcinski, Burns

DISPOSALS:
St.Kilda: Black 28, Hayes 27, Hamill 23, Thompson 23
Geelong: Corey 21, Chapman 20, Clarke 19, Johnson 19, King 19, Riccardi 19

50 Years of the Saints - Countdown to NAB 1, 2017. (5 Days to go)

StKilda-logo-1995.gif
Fremantle-logo-1997.gif

Round 5, 2006
Date: 30th April, 2006.
Crowd: 15,282

Fremantle were leading by 27 points midway through the third quarter when St Kilda full forward Fraser Gehrig conceded five consecutive free kicks during a scuffle with a number of Fremantle defenders. Three of the free kicks were converted to consecutive 50 metre penalties, with the result that Fremantle fullback Michael Johnson walked the length of the ground to kick a goal that gave Fremantle a 33-point lead.

St Kilda coach Grant Thomas responded by benching the angry Gehrig. Shortly afterwards he benched tall forward Nick Riewoldt, replacing the forward line with smaller targets in Stephen Milne and Brett Voss. St Kilda then kicked seven of the next nine goals to move to within one point of the Dockers with less than a minute to play in the final quarter. This momentum shift came at a point where Fremantle were "killing the clock" and with eight minutes remaining took to chipping the ball around to prevent St Kilda scoring. They were aiming to defend rather than attack and this let St Kilda back into the match.

When the final siren sounded, Fremantle were leading by one point but the umpires did not hear the siren and play continued for around 10 seconds, during which time St Kilda scored a point to tie the match. Four days later the AFL Commission determined that the match should have been ended when the first siren sounded. As a result of this St Kilda were stripped of the last behind and the two competition points for a draw that they had received. The victory and the full four points for a win were awarded to Fremantle.

It was only the second time in VFL/AFL history that the score and result of a game was changed on protest, with the first occurring 106 years previously.​

GOALS:
St.Kilda: Gehrig 3, Blake 2, Voss 2, Milne 2, Dal Santo, Montagna, Riewoldt, Murray
Fremantle: Pavlich 6, Farmer 3, McPharlin 2, Headland, Johnson, Gilmore

DISPOSALS:
St.Kilda: Ball 26, Blake 25, Harvey 23
Fremantle: Bell 26, Carr 23, Schammer 22

Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
50 Years of the Saints - Countdown to NAB 1, 2017. (5 Days to go)

StKilda-logo-1995.gif
Fremantle-logo-1997.gif

Round 5, 2006
Date: 30th April, 2006.
Crowd: 15,282

Fremantle were leading by 27 points midway through the third quarter when St Kilda full forward Fraser Gehrig conceded five consecutive free kicks during a scuffle with a number of Fremantle defenders. Three of the free kicks were converted to consecutive 50 metre penalties, with the result that Fremantle fullback Michael Johnson walked the length of the ground to kick a goal that gave Fremantle a 33-point lead.

St Kilda coach Grant Thomas responded by benching the angry Gehrig. Shortly afterwards he benched tall forward Nick Riewoldt, replacing the forward line with smaller targets in Stephen Milne and Brett Voss. St Kilda then kicked seven of the next nine goals to move to within one point of the Dockers with less than a minute to play in the final quarter. This momentum shift came at a point where Fremantle were "killing the clock" and with eight minutes remaining took to chipping the ball around to prevent St Kilda scoring. They were aiming to defend rather than attack and this let St Kilda back into the match.

When the final siren sounded, Fremantle were leading by one point but the umpires did not hear the siren and play continued for around 10 seconds, during which time St Kilda scored a point to tie the match. Four days later the AFL Commission determined that the match should have been ended when the first siren sounded. As a result of this St Kilda were stripped of the last behind and the two competition points for a draw that they had received. The victory and the full four points for a win were awarded to Fremantle.

It was only the second time in VFL/AFL history that the score and result of a game was changed on protest, with the first occurring 106 years previously.​

GOALS:
St.Kilda: Gehrig 3, Blake 2, Voss 2, Milne 2, Dal Santo, Montagna, Riewoldt, Murray
Fremantle: Pavlich 6, Farmer 3, McPharlin 2, Headland, Johnson, Gilmore

DISPOSALS:
St.Kilda: Ball 26, Blake 25, Harvey 23
Fremantle: Bell 26, Carr 23, Schammer 22

Was this the game the g train lost the plot lmao

50 Years of the Saints - Countdown to NAB 1, 2017. (4 Days to go)

StKilda-logo-1995.gif
Collingwood-logo-2004.gif

AFL_Premiership_Cup_Icon.png

1st Semi Final, 2008
Date: 13th September, 2008.
Crowd: 76,707

St.Kilda stormed into the 2008 finals series on the back of an 108 point thrashing of Essendon in the final round of the season, with the Saints needing to win by 102 points to move into 4th spot and secure the double chance which they miraculously did, moving into the top four in the final minutes of the final round. It was touted by many as St.Kilda legend Robert Harvey's final season in the red, white and black and tonight could be his last game if the Saints were to be defeated.

Collingwood had held onto 8th position after looking shaky late in the year, losing to Fremantle by 24 points and only just making it through to the finals.

It wasn't great reading for Magpies fans however, with the Pies having not beaten St.Kilda in a final for 42 years, losing the last four finals encounters including the Grand Final of 1966. This year was very different however with the Pies winning both games against St.Kilda during the season - by 9 points in Round 8, and 14 points in Round 19.

Tonight's game was reminiscent of the classic St.Kilda-Collingwood rivalry of the 90's and we weren't disappointed.

GOALS:
St.Kilda: Riewoldt 5, Koschitzke 3, Milne 3, Gram 2, Dal Santo, Gwilt, McQualter, Schneider
Collingwood: Swan, Lockyer, Medhurst, Anthony, Clarke, McCarthy, Goldsack, Brown, Cloke

DISPOSALS:
St.Kilda: Dal Santo 32, Montagna 29, Blake 27, Fisher 27
Collingwood: Swan 23, Pendlebury 23, O'Bree 21, R. Shaw 21, Fraser 20

Linton St

Team Captain
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
^ Rex Hunt, Mick Malthouse, Superduper, Lethal, Geoff Ablett (Gary Snr's older brother), Peter Knights, Robbie Muir, Michael Tuck, Don Scott, Trevor Barker, Russ Greene, Val Perovic all played in this game.

Sorry it cuts out at the ends lads, 15mins of the last qtr there. Ripper game :thumbsu:
Recall a game vs the Hawks in the mid 70's (Princes Park) & they kicked 25.41.191.
I was there thru the 70's & 80's every f...en game (except my old man wouldn't go down the highway when we played Geelong), & I'd be staggered if we won more than 20% of our games in that period.. Barks in the mid to late 70's - early 80's, followed by Plugger, then Banger/Riewoldt have been the players who've left the greatest impression the last 45 years.

Linton St

Team Captain
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
StKilda-logo-1977.gif
StKilda-logo-1980.gif
StKilda-logo-1989.gif
StKilda-logo-1995.gif

Hey guys & girls,

From today up until the start of our pre-season campaign on February 23rd, I've decided I would post videos of memorable St.Kilda games from 1963-2017 in chronological order. I figure it would be something we can use to pass the time and reminisce on some of our greatest moments. May also be a good way to document a bit of the history of the club on our forum.

For those that were around this time last year you may remember me doing the same thread, albeit from 1986-2016. Please note the games that I will be posting over the next 30 days are not the same as the ones posted last year. If you'd like to check out last years thread, you can do so here.

My first installment will be up shortly, with a brief blurb on the game itself followed by the highlight video. This game, along with each individual game thereafter, will be posted in this thread.

If you were at one of the games I've posted or have any fond memories in the lead up/aftermath of the game, feel free to discuss it in this thread. Any questions let me know.

Cheers & Go Saints!!​
Brilliant!

Recall a game vs the Hawks in the mid 70's (Princes Park) & they kicked 25.41.191.
I was there thru the 70's & 80's every f...en game (except my old man wouldn't go down the highway when we played Geelong), & I'd be staggered if we won more than 20% of our games in that period.. Barks in the mid to late 70's - early 80's, followed by Plugger, then Banger/Riewoldt have been the players who've left the greatest impression the last 45 years.
Always had great players/characters in our side yet never got our act together, how frustrating! Unrecognizable to today's side.

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
Re the fence question posed by Sunny3193......StK v Haw game 1967....I haven't been following this thread, and only having a good look today. Did anyone answer this? I do recall this fence because I used to go down that end in the outer forward pocket. There was a fence at the other end too just the other side of the social club. Pretty sure it was the Member's enclosure. Not sure you had to be a member to go in the standing areas, but you needed a members pass to get in the stand. Can't remember how it worked. Maybe if you weren't a member you had to pay slightly more.

But I was mostly in what was known as the outer. And the other side where the grandstands were was the member's side. Not sure how long those fences were there. I left Melbourne in 1967, but they were there definitely in those first 3 seasons.

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Re the fence question posed by Sunny3193......StK v Haw game 1967....I haven't been following this thread, and only having a good look today. Did anyone answer this? I do recall this fence because I used to go down that end in the outer forward pocket. There was a fence at the other end too just the other side of the social club. Pretty sure it was the Member's enclosure. Not sure you had to be a member to go in the standing areas, but you needed a members pass to get in the stand. Can't remember how it worked. Maybe if you weren't a member you had to pay slightly more.

But I was mostly in what was known as the outer. And the other side where the grandstands were was the member's side. Not sure how long those fences were there. I left Melbourne in 1967, but they were there definitely in those first 3 seasons.

Thanks for responding, good to share memories. Two old heads are better than one!
We stood on the other side to you, in front of the Social Club, but parked our car in Barilla Road (we lived that side of the ground) and walked around the outside of the ground to the turnstile that was behind the Social Club. So it's not surprising that I have no memory of the fence.
Certainly you were standing in the "Outer", but I can't recall the Linton St side being for members only. Any paying customer could enter via the Linton St turnstiles and thus stand "inside" the fence.
It really has me at a loss.

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
Thanks for responding, good to share memories. Two old heads are better than one!
We stood on the other side to you, in front of the Social Club, but parked our car in Barilla Road (we lived that side of the ground) and walked around the outside of the ground to the turnstile that was behind the Social Club. So it's not surprising that I have no memory of the fence.
Certainly you were standing in the "Outer", but I can't recall the Linton St side being for members only. Any paying customer could enter via the Linton St turnstiles and thus stand "inside" the fence.
It really has me at a loss.
Yes, might have been one of those great 'committee' ideas that never worked. Having a member's enclosure that you didn't have to be a member to be in! I did go in there a couple of times, but can't remember why. Am sure to sit in the stand you had to be a member though.

50 Years of the Saints - Countdown to NAB 1, 2017. (3 Days to go)

StKilda-logo-1995.gif

Round 7, 2009
Date: 11th May, 2009.
Crowd: 46,880

Round 7 would mark the AFL's first Monday night game since Round 8 2000, with the AFL returning to trial the popularity of Monday night football & what better way to do it with two fierce rivals in St.Kilda & Collingwood.

After losing the 2008 preliminary final to Hawthorn & with St.Kilda champions Robert Harvey & Fraser Gehrig recently retired, the new look lineup for the Saints came out of the blocks on fire. At 6-0, it was St.Kilda's best start to a season since 2004 (10-0) & they had comprehensively beaten everyone in their path up until this point, including wins by 97pts v West Coast R3, 83pts v Fremantle R4 & 66pts v Port Adelaide R5.

St.Kilda skipper Nick Riewoldt had bagged 13 goals over the last 3 rounds & if he were to kick 4 tonight it would be the first time in his illustrious career that 'Rooey' had kicked 4 goals or more in 4 consecutive games.

As it turned out, the skipper delivered with 5 of the best as the Saints went on to destroy Collingwood in front of 47,000 fans. St Kilda won by a new record winning margin against the Magpies of 88 points & Collingwood's score of 5.10 (40) was its lowest under coach Mick Malthouse.

GOALS:
St.Kilda: Riewoldt 5, Schneider 5, Milne 4, McQualter 2, Goddard, Gram, Jones, Koschitzke
Collingwood: Wellingham 2, Pendlebury, Lockyer, A. Rocca

DISPOSALS:
St.Kilda: Montagna 38, Dal Santo 38, Hayes 33, Goddard 31
Collingwood: O'Bree 32, Pendlebury 28, Swan 24

Feb 15, 2002
Jackson-Steinem
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bluestar Airlines, Anacott Steel

GOALS:
St.Kilda: Loewe 8, Everitt 2, Smith 2, Traianidis 2, Burke, Vidovic
Footscray: Osborne 5, Watts 3, Curley 2, A. Jakovich, Johnson, Kellett

DISPOSALS:
St.Kilda: Burke 30, Smith 26, Harvey 22
Footscray: Liberatore 28, Wallis 23, Grant 22

I still recall the ding ding of the metal ropes on the flag poles during the minutes silence.

Jumped in to the car to hear about the win on the radio, but there was no football on the radio.

It was the same day as the Port Arthur shootings.

50 Years of the Saints - Countdown to NAB 1, 2017. (3 Days to go)

StKilda-logo-1995.gif

Round 7, 2009
Date: 11th May, 2009.
Crowd: 46,880

Round 7 would mark the AFL's first Monday night game since Round 8 2000, with the AFL returning to trial the popularity of Monday night football & what better way to do it with two fierce rivals in St.Kilda & Collingwood.

After losing the 2008 preliminary final to Hawthorn & with St.Kilda champions Robert Harvey & Fraser Gehrig recently retired, the new look lineup for the Saints came out of the blocks on fire. At 6-0, it was St.Kilda's best start to a season since 2004 (10-0) & they had comprehensively beaten everyone in their path up until this point, including wins by 97pts v West Coast R3, 83pts v Fremantle R4 & 66pts v Port Adelaide R5.

St.Kilda skipper Nick Riewoldt had bagged 13 goals over the last 3 rounds & if he were to kick 4 tonight it would be the first time in his illustrious career that 'Rooey' had kicked 4 goals or more in 4 consecutive games.

As it turned out, the skipper delivered with 5 of the best as the Saints went on to destroy Collingwood in front of 47,000 fans. St Kilda won by a new record winning margin against the Magpies of 88 points & Collingwood's score of 5.10 (40) was its lowest under coach Mick Malthouse.

GOALS:
St.Kilda: Riewoldt 5, Schneider 5, Milne 4, McQualter 2, Goddard, Gram, Jones, Koschitzke
Collingwood: Wellingham 2, Pendlebury, Lockyer, A. Rocca

DISPOSALS:
St.Kilda: Montagna 38, Dal Santo 38, Hayes 33, Goddard 31
Collingwood: O'Bree 32, Pendlebury 28, Swan 24

Geary was number 42 , I don't remember that. We had an awesome side then , we should have won the grand final . So close yet so far.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I still recall the ding ding of the metal ropes on the flag poles during the minutes silence.

Jumped in to the car to hear about the win on the radio, but there was no football on the radio.

It was the same day as the Port Arthur shootings.

I remember that day too, did the same thing , ran to the car to hear the wrap up and it was all about the shootings. Went from such a high to a low in seconds. While we were cheering on the Saints people were hiding for their lives or being gunned down. I felt sick that day.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

50 Years of the Saints - Countdown to NAB 1, 2017. (2 Days to go)

StKilda-logo-1995.gif
Carlton-logo-2006.gif

Round 12, 2009
Date: 12th June, 2009.
Crowd: 50,820

After beating the Kangaroos by 46 points in Round 11, the Saints entered Round 12 with a perfect record of 11-0 - their best start to a season and their greatest winning streak in the clubs' 136 year history.

Carlton weren't doing too bad for themselves either, sitting in fourth after 11 rounds with 6 wins and 5 losses, but the Blues hadn't beaten the Saints since Round 20, 2001 and tonight's game would be a massive challenge in front of a packed Etihad Stadium against ladder leaders St.Kilda.

It was a tight contest throughout, the Blues & Saints trading goals from the outset, and we take you now to the final 6 minutes of play, the Saints leading the Blues 92-88.
Who would be the hero tonight?​

GOALS:
St.Kilda: Riewoldt 5, Gram 2, Schneider 2, Montagna, Dal Santo, Goddard, Dawson, McQualter, Koschitzke, Milne
Carlton: Betts 2, Murphy 2, Bannister 2, Fevola 2, Grigg, Carrazzo, Simpson, Ó hAilpín, Garlett, Hampson

DISPOSALS:
St.Kilda: Montagna 36, Dal Santo 34, Hayes 30
Carlton: Grigg 28, Bower 26, Carrazzo 26, Gibbs 25

Back