50 Years of the Saints - Countdown to NAB 1, 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

50 Years of the Saints - Countdown to NAB 1, 2017. (1 Day to go)

StKilda-logo-1995.gif
Geelong-logo-2008.gif

Round 14, 2016
Date: 25th June, 2016.
Crowd: 28,745

After beating the Western Bulldogs by a whopping 57 points, the Cats took on St.Kilda in tonight's Saturday night contest. The Saints had just come off the bye and were desperate for a win to keep their finals hopes alive, sitting in 12th with 5 wins and 7 losses. Geelong were on top of the ladder after 13 Rounds, and with a 10-3 record looked destined to play deep into September.

From the outset the Saints looked switched on, with their physical pressure game resulting in many Geelong turnovers, and at one stage the underdog Saints scooted away to a 5 goal lead early in the third term before the class of the Cats reeled St.Kilda back in before the end of the third, heading into the final term down by 11 points.

In a pulsating final quarter, it was the Saints who would hold on to defeat Geelong after being down by 9 points with only minutes left. It was touted by many as the upset of the 2016 season, and what better way to end the countdown with this classic!

GOALS:
St.Kilda: Minchington 3, Weller 2, Newnes 2, Wright 2, Steven, Gresham, Membrey, Bruce, McCartin
Geelong: McCarthy 3, Hawkins 3, Dangerfield, Blicavs, Menzel, Motlop, Lonergan, Murdoch, Kersten

DISPOSALS:
St.Kilda: Ross 33, Riewoldt 26, Steven 25
Geelong: Dangerfield 29, Selwood 29, Enright 25, Guthrie 25, Duncan 22

That's it for the countdown for this year guys & girls!

Definitely didn't gain as much interest as last years (can find that in the OP), but still enjoyable to me to post & watch some old games - good fun!

Wanted to give a quick thank you to everyone who posted in the thread & liked the games;

Dard Ball Get
kosifantutti
PoppedCorn
soups1982
SaintRick88
CALL ME SNAKE
NarrowMind (Stuck with me till the end, haha)
SFgiant
sunny3193
sauce_head
Nutsngum
12Chill
Brains Trust66
St Neil
Plumber66
saint_
Tommy Wigs
Louis Slungpue
Linton St
Verdun66
Falchoon
sverik25
Persevering Saint
bird_man
saintkildaman
Jackie_Chiles
Smoke_Me_AKipper
GodSziller
Keg on legs
Saint Watto
Sir Skid
RWBlyf

Won't be doing another next year, partly because this one tapered off a bit towards the end and partly because there's not really much else left on YouTube, lol.

That Geelong game above is the full length, I figured whoever is interested may as well watch it in it's entirety before the season kicks off tomorrow night.

If you're bored or want to check out the games that I posted last year, you can do so by clicking here.

Thanks again, can't wait for the footy to finally begin!

GJD23....thanks so much for an absolutely awesome post..........you get the Gold Medal as far as I'm concerned....your time and imput was terrific.....I realised that I was actually at most of the games after 1972...Ahhhh...the memories....and the enormous amount of heartache !!!

LOL

And a big thanks on behalf of so many posters on here re the Live stream at the intra last Thursday........so many on here were raving about it.....I was lucky I could get down there just after 6 pm......after many,many years of not being able to get to the Intra...was surprised how many were there.

Oh....and if yr speaking to the club shortly...please pass on congrats re the Season launch at the Kingston Town Hall.

Wow...what a great idea.....I'm guessing that all the activities will be under the Town Hall and the jumper presentation inside in the main hall..........if so...a terrific idea from a weather point of view and also the last 2 launches from memory were at Luna Park which was great from a "St.Kilda " suburb point of view but from memory it was during the Grand Prix.

Parking down there is usually a nightmare but 10 X that with the restricted parking for miles.....

It's great to see activities all being in Moorabbin with the pending move back.......the last 3 AGM's were back at the Town Hall.

A huge thanks from me , I think I've watched all the games you put up except for the last one as I have watched that last quarter so many times I virtually know hit kick by kick . But it was great seeing players like Clint Jones , Max Hudgeton and so many more as well as champion players from other clubs too . It's been a great way to pass the time in the lead up to the footy starting. Thanks for your effort APlus from me . The question is , how are you going to beat that next season , lol, joking. Does anyone know if a highlights DVD from 2009 was released ? I'm assuming there was one , I'm about to check out eBay . I remember doing footy tipping that year and after about four rounds I kept saying they are due for a loss now . I've never tipped against them as much as I did in that year all because I couldn't believe we would just keep winning. I've never felt anything like it , if only we had won the grand final it would have been as good as it gets . Still to this day I've never watched the replay of the Grand Final . I still can't believe we lost.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Definitely didn't gain as much interest as last years (can find that in the OP), but still enjoyable to me to post & watch some old games - good fun!

Wanted to give a quick thank you to everyone who posted in the thread & liked the games;

Dard Ball Get
kosifantutti
PoppedCorn
soups1982
SaintRick88
CALL ME SNAKE
SFgiant
sunny3193
sauce_head
Nutsngum
12Chill
Brains Trust66
St Neil
Plumber66
saint_
Tommy Wigs
Louis Slungpue
Linton St
Verdun66
Falchoon
sverik25
Persevering Saint
bird_man
saintkildaman
Jackie_Chiles
Smoke_Me_AKipper
GodSziller
Keg on legs
Saint Watto
Sir Skid
RWBlyf

Won't be doing another next year, partly because this one tapered off a bit towards the end and partly because there's not really much else left on YouTube, lol.

That Geelong game above is the full length, I figured whoever is interested may as well watch it in it's entirety before the season kicks off tomorrow night.

If you're bored or want to check out the games that I posted last year, you can do so by clicking here.

Amazing effort and dedication. Thanks buddy.

Dard Ball Get
kosifantutti
PoppedCorn
soups1982
SaintRick88
CALL ME SNAKE
SFgiant
sunny3193
sauce_head
Nutsngum
12Chill
Brains Trust66
St Neil
Plumber66
saint_
Tommy Wigs
Louis Slungpue
Linton St
Verdun66
Falchoon
sverik25
Persevering Saint
bird_man
saintkildaman
Jackie_Chiles
Smoke_Me_AKipper
GodSziller
Keg on legs
Saint Watto
Sir Skid
RWBlyf

Cheers for the effort mate, great watching. Maybe some more games appear on YouTube within the next year.

A huge thanks from me , I think I've watched all the games you put up except for the last one as I have watched that last quarter so many times I virtually know hit kick by kick . But it was great seeing players like Clint Jones , Max Hudgeton and so many more as well as champion players from other clubs too . It's been a great way to pass the time in the lead up to the footy starting. Thanks for your effort APlus from me . The question is , how are you going to beat that next season , lol, joking. Does anyone know if a highlights DVD from 2009 was released ? I'm assuming there was one , I'm about to check out eBay . I remember doing footy tipping that year and after about four rounds I kept saying they are due for a loss now . I've never tipped against them as much as I did in that year all because I couldn't believe we would just keep winning. I've never felt anything like it , if only we had won the grand final it would have been as good as it gets . Still to this day I've never watched the replay of the Grand Final . I still can't believe we lost.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I've re watched '97 and that's as far as I can go for now. Eventually I will re-watch '09 and '10.

Couldn't find the picture on the dias, but this one shows that he was part of the minority who sadly didn't make the trade.
View attachment 330510

I'm not sure if there were any other skippers who received the cup in opposition colours apart from the Doc.
It seems he got there eventually.
2eg47dg.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back