Autopsy 53 point win against Melbourne - Rd 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we have a group who seem to be celebrating each other’s achievements and have a good spirit too

Ability is key obviously but there’s a nice vibe generally in the core kids

Even post match Allir Blakey and now I can’t remember who else being interviewed together seemed good mates
Papley, Florent, Hayward, Ronke & McCartin going to Europe together after the B&F

It was very clear sitting on the fence on the wing that Kieren Jack was playing a coaching role out on the ground. Whether that aspect justifies his selection is a question I guess but those looking for an explanation as to his selection well there is your answer.

Ronke laid one quite good tackle but that was it. There's a spot for him at his best but he's a long way off his best.

Reid is bloody fantastic. I've never understood the knocks on him. For a bloke his size to stay relevant in so many contests for as long as he does is simply incredible. Most talls would go to ground far earlier. It probably explains a lot of his injuries.

Kennedy seems to be less the go to mid and more the blocker at ball ups and throw ins now. His strength cleared a number of passages for the likes of Florent and Rowbottom to run through.

Rowbottom is a gem. It's very early but his ground ball handling last night in very greasy conditions was a class above others. You see the players around him move with a purpose "knowing" he's going to win the ground ball contest and give out quality ball. That purpose isn't quite there with a Clarke (who I have come to admire for his workrate) who's disposal is more iffy.

I can't see Menzel staying on the list. Even as depth. Hayward and Franklin, even Sinclair have to fit back into that forward line. McCartin. Cunningham and O'Riordan come back which probably sends Blakey forward again. And I suspect the match committee might be realising that Heeney's value at half forward is greater than his value as a mid.
So was Dusty's once.

So was Dusty's once.

Still is. But Heeney not Dusty. Heeney has a far better aerial game. Dusty is strong through the core whereas Heeney’s more balanced. So Dusty’s game is more attuned to being a midfield weapon.

Why have a player who can time a mark like Heeney can and waste that skill by throwing him inside? It doesn’t make sense to me.

Heeney really needs to sort his goal kicking out..been a problem for 3 years now. Its the only thing from holding him back from really entering the top echelon. He finds the footy consistantly now, elite mark, elite tackler and acceptable skills... tidy up the goal kicking and the league could be his.

Blakey is nearly the perfect player (as a foundation)... elite skills,elite pace, strong mark, high footy i.q and despite not reaching puberty,he is a strong tackler. All he needs to do is keep developing and refining his "total package" skill set and could be anything. Could not be more impressed this year and would not trade him for any player under 23

Glad Melican came back in. He's a good one on one defender and seemed to be much refreshed. Aliir looked better having a run on the ball. Florent is becoming very consistently good. The Lizard has got some serious aggro. Good to see. I'm pretty impressed with our young crop. A very young team but some real talent and they'll play together for many years. Hard to believe we'll lose 5 of our 8 most experienced players this year but the future looks rosy. These guys will one day stand together on a Premiership stage and become future club legends.

That female ump seemed to have it in for the Swans, consistently calling against us in some contentious decisions. Frees went 25 v 17 against us. Would have been worse but we picked up a few soft junk time frees to try to balance the ledger. Given we were more often first to the ball the frees might have been expected to go the other way.

Both teams were very similar in most stats. We had a few more rebound 50s but 10 fewer inside 50s. Despite our pressure we laid less than half as many tackles inside 50.

Yet we won easily thanks to a conversion rate of almost 80% (vs 25%). That suggests we went inside 50 efficiently with less need to lock the ball in for repeat entries.

Good goal kicking really is good football. Nice to see a spread of multiple goal kickers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As poor as melbourne were, we can take alot from that.

Blakey was sensational, already looks like a 150 gamer... we have no idea what he will become

Menzel deserves another deal

Heeney's set shots were woeful

Rowbottom is on a steep learning curve...looks more and more polished every week

Aliir was sensational

Rampe was just rampe.. top flight defender

As long as we keep developing, we have a bright future
Heeney swears it was a cunning pass to Rowbum

That female ump seemed to have it in for the Swans, consistently calling against us in some contentious decisions. Frees went 25 v 17 against us. Would have been worse but we picked up a few soft junk time frees to try to balance the ledger. Given we were more often first to the ball the frees might have been expected to go the other way.

She's just a bad umpire, it's not bias.

Reminder to vote for POTY!

Only two matches left to vote for, may as well give it a go if you aren't a regular.

Reminder to vote for POTY!

Only two matches left to vote for, may as well give it a go if you aren't a regular.

I admit to being slack this year in voting. Promise to pick up my game next season.

Sir Dane had a weird game. It felt like he was stopping everything and Melbourne had no answers for him, yet his opponent for most of the night could’ve, and probably should’ve, kicked about 6 goals.

That probably says more about how little Melbourne had going on inside 50 other than Melksham than it does about the great man.

I don’t usually pay much attention to these things but looking at the players in the top half vs the bottom half pretty much tells the story for me.

And Clarke had 20 touches!

Yeah I went out for a jacket Clarke on the weekend with bacon cheese sour cream

Was good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back