Retired #56: Sam Michael - Heads back to the NEAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked his game today. Quality of the opposition is not overly important because what we saw is what we will get. He'll throw his weight around and do a lot of grunt work around the ball.They're important qualities for our ruckmen to have when we have guys like Zak Merrett and Parish on the ball.

He'll be more than adequate fodder in the ruck.

Liked his game today. Quality of the opposition is not overly important because what we saw is what we will get. He'll throw his weight around and do a lot of grunt work around the ball.They're important qualities for our ruckmen to have when we have guys like Zak Merrett and Parish on the ball.

He'll be more than adequate fodder in the ruck.

Is it a bad thing that our 3rd choice ruck men (Berger; Jamar; Michael; Nyuon) is going to be given first crack?

Is it a bad thing that our 3rd choice ruck men (Berger; Jamar; Michael; Nyuon) is going to be given first crack?

It's never a bad thing to reward performance. That's something that we should have learned by now.

I would not be surprised if Michael isn't thought of as number 2 with it being up to Jamar to take the position from him (he's got to get into shape first and then show he has some form). The ability to be a bull around the ground and to negate in the ruck is probably more important than being a great tap ruckman and not much else.

Last edited:
His attack on the ball was first rate. He's not a player that you look at and go "he's got all the talent in the world" but his attitude out there was great. We could do worse than playing him for a few games. Reminds me of Mckernan last year and now i'm a big fan of Mckernan's work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be happy if Michael makes the cut...personally I'd like to see him bashing and crashing up forward, think he'd complement JD and Brown nicely.

Not sure he has many match ups at AFL level as a key defender - could cover a resting ruck but most genuine forwards would be too mobile.

Agree. Think we lack that FF/2nd ruck out of the goal square that can give Leuenberger a break. Need a focal point up front too.

Enjoyed his NAB campaign, charges through players when he has the ball and his second efforts are great. Has real confidence in his size, he reminds me of Brad Ottens.

I just hope it means Ambrose never rucks again, ever!!
We have been looking to replace NLM all these years.
Who else will run the B&B?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back