Sportsman

Senior List
Jan 19, 2006
Sunbury
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Vixens
Do any of you believe that Ben Jolley will be promoted and given an opportunity at AFL level this year?

His VFL form this year has been pretty consistent.

Who was placed on the long term injury list in order for him to be promoted?

Do you think Essendon will retain him next year?

kelvin_sheedy said:
Of the games i've seen him play for Bendigo on Channel 2 there is no chance of him making it as a league footballer.

Hate to be negative but i don't think he has the skill or pace for today's game.

So you don't think Jobe Watson will make it?

Longy413 said:
So you don't think Jobe Watson will make it?

Jobe is 6'3 and a has always looked like he can be quite a damaging player even with the lack of pace.

Ben Jolley looks like a poor mans Sam Mitchell.

In saying that I am all for him getting a couple of games in the Seniors and see whether he can cut it.

I would give him about 3 - 5 games till the end of the year and see what he can do. I reckon he hasn't been given a go as of yet because the coaching staff don't beleive he'll make it.

I reckon BJ has better foot skills and pace than Jobe.
Jobe gets by on his strength and outstanding footy brain.

The thing about BJ is his strength is also his weakness. He is good at everything, but not great at anything. If that makes sense.

I believe there is a role for him at AFL level. He's tough, hard and uses the ball well enough. I don't think he's going to be a superstar, infact I know he won't be, but I think he could perhaps develop into a poor man's Damien Hardwick, rather than Sam Mitchell.

Longy413 said:
but I think he could perhaps develop into a poor man's Damien Hardwick, rather than Sam Mitchell.

You're mate Slats has that comparison and role covered, even has the temperament to match.

Jolley has to play on ball, whether there is a spot for him in the side is another question with Watson and JJ around, lets not forget Pev although id like to. Lonergan also plays a similar type game although Lonergan seems to have a better offensive game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

marcuz said:
You're mate Slats has that comparison and role covered, even has the temperament to match.

Jolley has to play on ball, whether there is a spot for him in the side is another question with Watson and JJ around, lets not forget Pev although id like to. Lonergan also plays a similar type game although Lonergan seems to have a better offensive game.

Lonergan just needs to improve his goal kicking with his offensive game! Field kicking also

Slatts will play on ball more often than not. Dal Santo again this week I hope.
Slatts does two things really, really well. Runs in a straight line at the ball or the man with the ball. He also has the ability to kick goals and I think he'll be released to play his own game sooner or later. He could even play the role up forward Solly did in his first couple of years. I reckon he could develop into a true utility.

I reckon BJ reads the play well enough to give teammates enough chop out by leaving his man and becomming the third man up in a contest. That was something Hardwick did really well. The one thing you know about Ben Jolley is that if he is asked to do a job, he'll do everything in his power to get it done.

Lonergan plays a bit more like Jason Johnson. Good at clearances and kicks goals. If JJ has three years in him, Longergan will be cherry ripe to take his spot physically.

We can forget Pev, he won't be there next year.

go_the_bombers said:
Lonergan just needs to improve his goal kicking with his offensive game! Field kicking also

Lonergan has kicked plenty of goals this year, im not sure what his accuracy is in general but of the games ive watched live he's been pretty good,

marcuz said:
Lonergan has kicked plenty of goals this year, im not sure what his accuracy is in general but of the games ive watched live he's been pretty good,

I reckon he'd be striking at around 50%. Possibly worse.

Has a lot of shots the boy.

Longy413 said:
I reckon BJ has better foot skills and pace than Jobe.
Jobe gets by on his strength and outstanding footy brain.

The thing about BJ is his strength is also his weakness. He is good at everything, but not great at anything. If that makes sense.

I believe there is a role for him at AFL level. He's tough, hard and uses the ball well enough. I don't think he's going to be a superstar, infact I know he won't be, but I think he could perhaps develop into a poor man's Damien Hardwick, rather than Sam Mitchell.

Longy your review of BJ is 100% accurate. Frighteningly an AFL recruiter described BJ the exact same way. Good at a lot of things- Brilliant at none.
However he is an outstanding endurance athlete with very high beep test score. He has added substancial muscle to his frame and is very disciplined.
His outstanding quality is his personal qualities. He has captained Victoria, School, TAC premiers and will do EVERYTHING in his power to make it. I see him as a Gary ODonnell clone. Not a brilliant footballer but a possible club leader, willingly performs team tasks and hopefully a PREMIERSHIP player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back