Autopsy 58 point win against Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the angle I was looking for and a slo mo replay that clearly shows Rowbum getting a shove that accelerates him into Merrett.

View attachment 1401728

Have to feel for Rowbottom. There was just nothing he could do differently. It's inexplicable to expect him to do anything differently in a millisecond. I understand AFL is prioritising safety of the head, but if it's being prioritised over common sense, then it's a problem.

But I feel the case just epitomises Rowbottom's whole season thus far. Have said all year that he has seemed to lack the intent, energy and hardness that he had early in his career. Then he has his most high-intensity half of the season and ends up cleaning up a player and getting suspended for it. Not much going right for him these days.

Comes across as a good bloke.
Dominates in the reserves but also does the 1%s (shepherding/organising etc). Seems like a selfless player.

He's out of contract at the end of year and that is likely it for the AFL.
Could be the sort of player we'd like to keep around the club (eg mentor at reserves level). (And before anyone suggests it, no not kicking coach).
But only 24, Melbourne background and I'd imagine far better dollars available at state league/local level.
Re sign him. Guy is a machine, and a great standard for new recruits to emulate in training and preparation.
I think if he got a run of games he'd prove he is AFL level. Unlucky again not to get a chance the last two weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back