Autopsy 58 point win against Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, I don’t think sole captaincy is the way to go. I actually thought it was a great thing when Kennedy was appointed sole captain but I was definitely wrong on that one.

I think the best solution would be the team calling out the complacency problem and solving it at its core. I could be completely wrong, it could be a Longmire thing or a group-think thing - but I don’t think anyone can deny it is a thing and needs to be addressed if we are to become a formidable team week in week out like Melbourne.
Perhaps it's not really a problem but more a lack of experience. It's a rare game where our senior players don't stand up but young players don't always have the mental maturity. We're a great young side but we're still a bit inconsistent. Brissy were a bit that way, even last year. We caught a lot of teams by surprise in 2021 but this year teams are more prepared. Players like Warner, Wicks, Gulden, McInerney, Blakey, McDonald, Campbell, even Hickey, have all had a lot more time put into them to work out their weaknesses.

I judge our best by how we play when we're up and about, and our best is bloody good. We just don't always bring it. That'll change over the next year or so as we mature. I'm pretty certain this lot will win more than one premierships, and given we've only won two premierships in nearly 89 years since a spotty teenage Bedford cheered on the 1933 Bloods to a flag. I expect older fans have learned to be a patient.

ps. We'd have won the 1935 GF too if a lead footed teenage Swans supporter hadn't hit the great Bob Pratt with a truck full of bricks.

pps. I'd apologise to Bedford for my bit of fun but he probably won't read this far

iu

Caption : Bedford and Kenny running late for the 1933 Grand Final.

A real highlight/lowlight was the contest but then the injury to Jye Caldwell. The injury arose from both Caldwell and TMac having only eyes for the ball. This is one of the wonderful but terrible things about our game.

I really liked Caldwell when he was at the Giants and half hoped we would pick him up. One of the reasons was his toughness.

In the post game vision there was Caldwell and Tommy having a long chat. The respect between the two was obvious. Kudos to both youngsters.

The kick to Chad is safe. Chances are the others will hit the deck. The only other kick is just in front to Mills but that's still a hard kick to make

View attachment 1400455

Kicking to Blakey is not a good kick. Every chance it results in a turnover and goal to Essendon.

Parker and Gulden are well covered by Essendon. They wouldn't make that mark and turning over in the middle is not where you want to be.

Kick to Hayward is impossible. Lloyd doesn't have that great a kick.

Kick to Mills is the only good option, would have been a better option than Warner but Warner was the second best and safest option
Lloyd just doesn't have the power in his kick that a player like Blakey has, so he compensates by increasing the angle. It's well known that 45deg is theoretically the optimal angle for maximum distance - but that's in a vacuum. When air resistance is taken into account it's a bit less, but it still means a lot of hang time. A high long floater may be handy for kicking a goal from the edge of a player's range but it's too much hang time for a kickout from the opposition goal square. Rowbottom has a similar limitation. It's not a criticism, it's just that their natural kicking style doesn't have the same momentum in their leg as a Buddy or Gulden. Those two could cut all the grass on the SCG with a ten minute kick to kick, leaving behind only the smell of charred worms.

Lloyd just doesn't have the power in his kick that a player like Blakey has, so he compensates by increasing the angle. It's well known that 45deg is theoretically the optimal angle for maximum distance - but that's in a vacuum. When air resistance is taken into account it's a bit less, but it still means a lot of hang time. A high long floater may be handy for kicking a goal from the edge of a player's range but it's too much hang time for a kickout from the opposition goal square. Rowbottom has a similar limitation. It's not a criticism, it's just that their natural kicking style doesn't have the same momentum in their leg as a Buddy or Gulden. Those two could cut all the grass on the SCG with a ten minute kick to kick, leaving behind only the smell of charred worms.
Wonderful visual of all the charred worms. Campbell says "hold my beer".

A real highlight/lowlight was the contest but then the injury to Jye Caldwell. The injury arose from both Caldwell and TMac having only eyes for the ball. This is one of the wonderful but terrible things about our game.

I really liked Caldwell when he was at the Giants and half hoped we would pick him up. One of the reasons was his toughness.

In the post game vision there was Caldwell and Tommy having a long chat. The respect between the two was obvious. Kudos to both youngsters.
It was good to see McCartin go over to him after the game. The commentators were wrong to say Tommy protected himself at the last minute. Watching his eyes, he only clocked Caldwell was there when his eyes followed the flight of the ball into Jye's hands. I think the ump was wrong to pay a free. They both hit at an angle front on, one running on one angle and the other about 90deg apart on another angle. Gutsy play by both but no case to answer at all.

It was also good to see Paddy wading in with gusto to wrench Dons players off his besieged brother. His folks would have been glad to see him sticking up for little bro like that.

Wonderful visual of all the charred worms. Campbell says "hold my beer".
Campbell could kick the stitching off a Sherrin while skolling a beer. A few games back when he offloaded a booming kick on the run for a 60m goal I was reminded of the great Stuey Maxwell. Stuey would have so much speed up at 60 m out that he only had to plant his right leg to send all the momentum into his left and the ball would sail effortlessly through the big sticks and into the pie stand. Blakey has a similar kicking style, a completely effortless leg swing. I love the way lefties kick the footy, rucks excepted. Watching a ruck kick a ball is like watching a dog play chess.

Good call.
I reckon Ramps finishes skippering this year. 2023 Mills and Parker.
2024 interesting. Maybe Parker again, maybe not.
Best candidate to take over from Parker? Errol? Not sure about others as captains. Maybe Tom McCartin?
Who has the gravitas?

Perhaps it's not really a problem but more a lack of experience. It's a rare game where our senior players don't stand up but young players don't always have the mental maturity. We're a great young side but we're still a bit inconsistent. Brissy were a bit that way, even last year. We caught a lot of teams by surprise in 2021 but this year teams are more prepared. Players like Warner, Wicks, Gulden, McInerney, Blakey, McDonald, Campbell, even Hickey, have all had a lot more time put into them to work out their weaknesses.

I judge our best by how we play when we're up and about, and our best is bloody good. We just don't always bring it. That'll change over the next year or so as we mature. I'm pretty certain this lot will win more than one premierships, and given we've only won two premierships in nearly 89 years since a spotty teenage Bedford cheered on the 1933 Bloods to a flag. I expect older fans have learned to be a patient.

ps. We'd have won the 1935 GF too if a lead footed teenage Swans supporter hadn't hit the great Bob Pratt with a truck full of bricks.

pps. I'd apologise to Bedford for my bit of fun but he probably won't read this far

iu

Caption : Bedford and Kenny running late for the 1933 Grand Final.
Only read the last bit , i wasn't there , but made the 45 bloodbath and would never be in the same car as Kenny

Rowbottom a bit stiff
Merrett drops the ball and rowbottom going full speed is meant to stop dead?View attachment 1401425
He's meant to not turn his shoulder into Merrett as he runs past the ball. Rowie takes a good 2-3 steps after Merrett drops the ball and Rowbottom braces, trying to go through Merrett. AFL has been clear they want to stop these very incidents from happening - especially as Merrett has his head down Rowbottom is meant to have more care.

Rowbottom could try and collect the ball when Merrett drops the ball
Rowbottom could try and slow down when going into Merrett
Rowbottom shouldn't turn his body into Merrett

Rowbottom ignores all 3 things he could/should have done and instead goes into bump a player with his head over the ball

He's meant to not turn his shoulder into Merrett as he runs past the ball. Rowie takes a good 2-3 steps after Merrett drops the ball and Rowbottom braces, trying to go through Merrett. AFL has been clear they want to stop these very incidents from happening - especially as Merrett has his head down Rowbottom is meant to have more care.

Rowbottom ignores all 3 things he could/should have done and instead goes into bump a player with his head over the ball

The fact he is expected to consider all of those things in literally the millisecond between Merrett losing the ball and contact being made just proves that there was nothing humanly possible he could do. If I'm the club I'm copying your comment and sending it to the Tribunal as part of his defence.

My thoughts from a 2nd watching of the game

The spread of forwards made it nigh on impossible to defend and forced the defence to play one on one. As much as I like him, McLean out helped with movement. Not only did our forwards stay on the move but they kept their shape and weren’t drawn to the ball. A good example was Bell’s goal. His opponent went to McDonald but Bell stayed out, made sure Logan knew he was there and trusted him to win the ball. We only had 11 more inside 50s but our spread and movement meant we were twice as likely to goal. 19 v 6 marks inside 50 should have seen us even more effective inside 50 but our set shots were wildly inaccurate.

Our defence was back to a surging swarm, especially in Q1 when Essendon tried to put up a fight. We just shut down players as soon as they touched the ball and when we stole the ball back we just kept suging forward in numbers. Irrepressible is the appropriate adjective.

We were prepared to take a risk rather than worrying and playing too defensive. We spread wide and trusted teammates would win the ball, so when they did they could kick to a player in space rather than being forced to handball to a player nearby. This complete change of mindset from the last two weeks was a big reason why we were able to take so many uncontested marks and they could make so few tackles. BTW, I don't accept that Essendon gave us the win. We took it and in the process we made Essendon look even more mediocre than they are. Had we kicked straight we'd have been in record setting territory.

Papley has obviously been told to forget worrying about goals and just work harder. He was sucking in huge gulps in q1. Bell, Warner and Wicks were also bringing huge forward pressure. Wicks has his mojo back and Warner was a whirling dervish, his attack on the footy or the player exemplified perfectly by his double tackle. Warner was consistently winning the ball and sending it forward. I was a little peeved to see Papley give him a roast for a poor kick. I'd have been tempted to say 'go get your own f*(&ing ball'. My only gripes with Warner is he doesn't always look for the better positioned player inside 50, relying too much on his one iron. And one incident that annoyed me was a few mins to the end of Q3 when Parker was taking a free from just outside 50m. He looked like he'd prefer to dish off but Warner turned his back and went for a casual wander inside 50, as if his work was done. I'd like to see Chad continue to fight for the ball all the way to the goal line.

Lloyd was not kicking in as much and even though he took a few kick-ins we were less predictable.

Kennedy didn't have huge number but playing mainly on the wing and inside mid he had a bigger impact than the numbers suggest. It's more about where and how he wins the ball, like wrenching it out of a clutch of opponents and standing in a tackle to dish it out.

Hickey's back! He just makes so much faster and better decisions than Ladhams. The latter is a decent tap ruckman but it was Hickey who made his presence felt around the ground.

Our defence are still a work in progress but the big macs are a class act. They were working better together and both rampe & Lloyd were much improved this week. Florent and Blakey were causing headaches for Essendon. Both can kick and both can run. Blakey's the better kick but Florent's even harder to catch than Blakey over the first 20m. Blakey's fast but he runs straight lines. Florent's moves like an eel with epilepsy. Impossible to get hold of. Both were kicking dead-eye darts.

Gulden has found a rich vein of form. He was running hard both ways and using his long left to slice through the defenders. I thought it was his best outing this year. He was one of the big gainers in metres while picking off impossible targets with laser precision.

Rowbum had one of his best games. He's not flash but he typifies the old saying 'It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog'. I don't think he'll be done for the head high bump on Merret. Mills (inadvertantly) pushed him into Merret. Rowbum couldn't have avoided the collision.

Talking about Mills. He was sublime. It's been said many times, if he played for a Vic team he'd be unbackable instead of $17 to Cripps' $2.75. I hope he's looking to buy a flash new suit to show off his medal on Charlie night. 13 tackles, 7, 7 and 7 for marks, clearances and inside 50s. He's in and under working in the cauldron yet he's still kicking at nearly 80%. if there was ever a love child of a 3 way between Kennedy, Parker and Jude Bolton - sorry, just bear with me on this - he'd be the spitting image of Mills, right down to his body and his footy brain. Mills was BOG by a mile (again) and this boy is just reaching his straps.

I hope this game is the one where having blown out the cobwebs we get our season back on track, much as we did against WC at Kardinia Park last year when after back to back losses we blasted WC out of the water and went on to win six of the next seven - before that soul destroying humiliating tripefest we served up against GWS.

The fact he is expected to consider all of those things in literally the millisecond between Merrett losing the ball and contact being made just proves that there was nothing humanly possible he could do. If I'm the club I'm copying your comment and sending it to the Tribunal as part of his defence.
Rowbum was unintentionally pushed into it by Mills. He's safe.

Rowbum was unintentionally pushed into it by Mills. He's safe.

Evidently he's not as he's been suspended. But I'd challenge it if I were the club. Best case scenario, common sense prevails at the Tribunal and he plays this week. Worst case scenario, challenge fails and we're without a bloke who is hardly setting the world on fire for two weeks. Can't hurt to try.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that’s great if you played in slow motion

he is running in at full speed , let’s say 15-16km an hour.

First to get ball so he’s thinking that then he’s going toward merrett who fumbles drops and in a second rowbottom is there and makes contact

that’s great if you played in slow motion

he is running in at full speed , let’s say 15-16km an hour.

First to get ball so he’s thinking that then he’s going toward merrett who fumbles drops and in a second rowbottom is there and makes contact
Rowy chose to bump front on. No arms up to tackle. Caught him high. Automatic one week.
Parker did exactly the same thing earlier that lead to Wicks' second goal but didn't catch him high. Part of our increased aggression.
TBH I quite liked it - the aggression, not the high.

Buddy mark fo the week

Blakey taps through legs, great tackle Gulden, PMcCartin handpass over to Papley, handpass to Florent, handpass to McInerney, dribbles kick, Parker bangs into Essendon player, Warner (who had been running from HB, picks up ball, handpass over to Wicks - runs into goal, Siren sounds.
Team goal of the season (so far!)

Terrible free kick tho, to say front on contact when both players were going for the ball and colided. Either it's a mark or play on.

Blakey taps through legs, great tackle Gulden, PMcCartin handpass over to Papley, handpass to Florent, handpass to McInerney, dribbles kick, Parker bangs into Essendon player, Warner (who had been running from HB, picks up ball, handpass over to Wicks - runs into goal, Siren sounds.
Team goal of the season (so far!)
Forgot to mention:
"...... dribbles kick towards Essendon player who sees Parker, sh*ts himself, gets knocked over, Warner....."
Four Swans coming at him, full speed. Can't really blame him.

Terrible free kick tho, to say front on contact when both players were going for the ball and colided. Either it's a mark or play on.

yes, that's right, but there's no way that collision was not gonna carry a free kick one way or the other, umpires just won't let that pass, as dumb as it might be ... mccartin was the unlucky one as neither player did anything but focus eyes on the ball
great to read on another post the two of them were talking after the game ...

Rowy chose to bump front on. No arms up to tackle. Caught him high. Automatic one week.
Parker did exactly the same thing earlier that lead to Wicks' second goal but didn't catch him high. Part of our increased aggression.
TBH I quite liked it - the aggression, not the high.

Bit blurry but here's the moment where Mills accidentally gives Rowbum a bit of a shove. Rowy looked like he was already trying to avoid impact. Fox showed it again from the other side in slo mo and Mills' push is as clear as day. I think the Swans would be mad not to challenge.

1652684591514.png

Sydney v Essendon

10 Callum Mills (SYD)
8 Chad Warner (SYD)
5 Tom Papley (SYD)
4 Errol Gulden (SYD)
2 Luke Parker (SYD)
1 Tom McCartin (SYD)
The mids have the leader board

LEADERBOARD

53 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
51 Clayton Oliver (MELB)