VFL Past #59: Aaron Heppell - Called time on his VFL career

Remove this Banner Ad

Still don't see him as VFL quality tbh. Doesn't have the tank nor the skills.

Fairly sure he is in the top group of runners in the VFL squad, but obviously there's a fair bit of a jump to get to AFL standard. The criticism of him that I've heard is that his speed and general athleticism could do with some improvement, but he's a good leader on the track.

I think the thing with Aaron is that he doesn't have any particularly noticeable trait. He's just...okay.

For example, if you compared him to his brother, he doesn't have that bouncy spring heel and nor does he have that eyes in the back of his head vision or intuition that Dyson has, either.

Aaron is okay- and I must say his tackling in that Footscray final last year really set us up early on and was outstanding all day- but overall he's meh.

Fairly sure he is in the top group of runners in the VFL squad, but obviously there's a fair bit of a jump to get to AFL standard. The criticism of him that I've heard is that his speed and general athleticism could do with some improvement, but he's a good leader on the track.
I can think of a dozen better endurance runners in the current side.

I can think of a dozen better endurance runners in the current side.

I don't have available data but he runs with the top (fittest) group at training and generally finished fairly high up in running sessions during the pre-season.

I don't have available data but he runs with the top (fittest) group at training and generally finished fairly high up in running sessions during the pre-season.
Well it doesn't translate at all. He's a BP only at VFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Puff piece in Inside Football this week

Really enjoying his improvement this year.

Next VFL Captain?
Has improved no doubt but I see Polkinghorne being captain for a couple of years then who knows?

Has improved no doubt but I see Polkinghorne being captain for a couple of years then who knows?
this kid has so much heart, I hope he makes the AFL. he will do anything to make it. He is a very good 1 on 1 player hardly ever gets beaten.

this kid has so much heart, I hope he makes the AFL. he will do anything to make it. He is a very good 1 on 1 player hardly ever gets beaten.
He'll be a VFL player. Absolutely won't make it to the AFL.

maybe..he will give himself every chance. have you judged him already? not giving him 3-4 years like you want for Eades?
Apples and oranges. Heppell is a 21 year old defender who has only just put together a consistent VFL season, and a lack of weapons to make it at the top level (kicking average, mediocre pace and questionable tank). Eades is a 19 year old small forward who was always going to be a project player and has showed plenty of signs, but because a 19 year old has one bad game (that happens to be the TV game) he gets baked by all and sundry.

Won't be surprised if he polls well in the Fothergill - Round Medal as the best player U23.
This wouldn't surprise me but Hanson will probably take it from him
Heppell kept going all day yesterday. I'd think his tank is up to scratch now.
If he continues it until the end of the season I'll agree.

Dont get 'it' with Hanson
Well for one, he's better than Heppell (which isn't a disgrace, he's better than most in the VFL). He gets a lot of the ball and has a good tank. Yes, his kicking isn't fantastic but he's a very good VFL midfielder at the very least.

Apples and oranges. Heppell is a 21 year old defender who has only just put together a consistent VFL season, and a lack of weapons to make it at the top level (kicking average, mediocre pace and questionable tank). Eades is a 19 year old small forward who was always going to be a project player and has showed plenty of signs, but because a 19 year old has one bad game (that happens to be the TV game) he gets baked by all and sundry.

I watch a lot of vfl and have not seen Eades show "plenty of signs" my biggest worry with Eades is he is soft. Heppell has improved immensely, maybe Eades can too if he has the desire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back