5th ODI England v Australia @ Old Trafford

Remove this Banner Ad

It's that having the first pick attack might give the batsmen more confidence. It's not an attack on the current bowlers.

I think our batting balance is still off. At the moment we're arguably playing 4 openers, 2 wicket keepers and a number 6. We haven't had the personnel in the squad for this tour to make too many changes though.

I'm warming to the idea of having a Ferguson-type batting at 3/4 to add a bit of batting nous, rather than just all power hitters.

I think our batting balance is still off. At the moment we're arguably playing 4 openers, 2 wicket keepers and a number 6. We haven't had the personnel in the squad for this tour to make too many changes though.

I'm warming to the idea of having a Ferguson-type batting at 3/4 to add a bit of batting nous, rather than just all power hitters.

That Ferguson type is Marsh and he's done pretty well.

The whole team's balance is whacked out but the cupboard is a little bare. Finch should have opened all tour. I'll probably never really understand that decision.

What on Earth? I think you misinterpreted my post. I am absolutly blaming the batters. I am sayinh until the proper bowlers come in (Starc, Cummins etc.) then they wont have the confidence because the current bowlers are leaking 300+ runs each game

I know what you meant, but I don't think just having our first choice attack in is automatically going to stop guys running themselves out or leaving the ball on the stumps. I just mean that the batsmen should take some ownership for poor performances as well, rather than passing the blame.

We lost 4-1 at home with our full side in anyway. England are just a better side at the moment.

Ferguson would be like having S.Marsh. He is supposed to be the "slow" batter going through the innings. The new ODI benchmark is around 325-350 due to England. At the moment we barely get to 260. Thats why we need all these power hitters because thats the way England has done it. The difference is that they better execute than we do.

I know what you meant, but I don't think just having our first choice attack in is automatically going to stop guys running themselves out or leaving the ball on the stumps. I just mean that the batsmen should take some ownership for poor performances as well, rather than passing the blame.

We lost 4-1 at home with our full side in anyway. England are just a better side at the moment.
I really dont think you did know what l mean because you said l "blamed" the bowlers which is literally the obvious of what l wrote. Doesn't matter really.
I agree the batters should take more ownership, however l really don't think own bowlers would concede over 300-350+ runs each match which would force our batters to take a heave at everything. We did lose 4-1 but we used the same bowling attack for the entire ashes iirc that was just before the odi series. Reckon they were pretty much stuffed. England changed their bowlers.

In saying that, they are definitly a better side than us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back