5th Test - Australia v England - SCG 2017/18

Remove this Banner Ad

Maxy in the Melbourne test may have been the difference in us going 5-0 with Australia going out for 327 in the first innings and Smith dropping all those catches.

Smitty,maybe you should have trained harder?

It's hard to find too many references to it prior to the Ian Chappell era. Like the bloody myth of the Baggy Green, it seems a relatively recent tradition.
iirc it was a chappelli and Rod Marsh driven idea

Maxy in the Melbourne test may have been the difference in us going 5-0 with Australia going out for 327 in the first innings and Smith dropping all those catches.

Smitty,maybe you should have trained harder?

Why would this have made a difference?

When he was sitting there padded up and waiting to go in, his eyes looked horrible. I thought "I hope you know what you're doing", but when he walked in and played a couple of nice shots I thought maybe he wasn't as bad he looked. Then there was the shot of him walking off talking to Bairstow, he looked like absolute crap, and it was no surprise to me he never came out again. As you say, a gutsy effort to help the team, and I simply won't hear of anyone criticising him for it. I would think the medical people in the English team would have told him not to return to the crease.
He is the captain of the side and his leadership has been found wanting all series. Perfect opportunity to show his leadership qualities, batting under duress, but he failed to have the resilience to get the job done. You can say it was a gutsy effort, but when it comes down to it, leadership is about showing the way. Leaders are better than average , Root has again shown how average he is.

It would seem that Gordo is the type that thinks those "in the trenches" references that players make are literal.

If you rate Root as average as a leader based on not coming into bat while incredibly sick, in a game that was already lost, I rate your posting well below average.

He is the captain of the side and his leadership has been found wanting all series. Perfect opportunity to show his leadership qualities, batting under duress, but he failed to have the resilience to get the job done. You can say it was a gutsy effort, but when it comes down to it, leadership is about showing the way. Leaders are better than average , Root has again shown how average he is.

That's just pathetic. I enjoy getting stuck into the English cricket team as much as the next guy, but when it come to lacking compassion and understanding when someone is ill, that's where I draw the line. Next time you are ill, I hope the boss sacks you for not showing "leadership".

That's just pathetic. I enjoy getting stuck into the English cricket team as much as the next guy, but when it come to lacking compassion and understanding when someone is ill, that's where I draw the line. Next time you are ill, I hope the boss sacks you for not showing "leadership".

Getting sacked is hardly the equivalent to what he is saying about Root though is it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, he shouldn't have. The man was ill, he shouldn't have left the hospital. We need to cut the macho bullshit and remember how we felt on those occasions when we were simply too ill to scratch ourselves. Putting your health on the line just to satisfy the needs of the public is insanity.
Yeah, I’m usually on the side of those who believe you front up unless your dying and then you still consider it. However, you could see when he was batting yesterday morning that his condition was shithouse.

A man after my own heart :) Barry Richards is the best batsman I've ever seen. A veritable maestro. The thing about him was his amazing footwork and effortless stroke play. That pull stroke placing the ball between mid wicket and mid-on was amazing. Most players pull just forward of square, or hook behind square, but Barry was onto the ball so quickly he had the time to place it to the left side of mid wicket.

I had the pleasure of bowling to Richards when he was here in Adelaide in 1970-71, and although I wasn't express I had a reasonable turn of speed. The amazing thing was how quickly his feet moved into position. It seemed as though the ball was only just leaving my hand and he was already in position to play the shot. It's like he could read the length from the hand. After awhile, it felt like he had so much time you could imagine him taking a puff on a cigarette, stamping it out, and then playing his shot. :)
Have you heard the story about him during a provincial game in SA in the early 70s?

Was 30 no and told his batting partner he was bored ......then batted the rest of his innings with the edge rather then the full face of the bat, made 140 odd .

Never seen a guy so still at release of delivery , yet never rushed. Amazing balance.

For people asking whether CA had a three fingered Australian hand ready to wheel out if England drew the test today.

Someone found it.

DS_ThBfV4AAS7yz.jpg

I don't know whose bright idea that was but I reckon it would have given England even more motivation to beat Australia in the next Ashes series.

Yes if there is anything that's going to fire up a team to win an Ashes series its a poxy diaroma that was wheeled out on the previous day of the prior series 3 years earlier. :rolleyes:

Have you heard the story about him during a provincial game in SA in the early 70s?

Was 30 no and told his batting partner he was bored ......then batted the rest of his innings with the edge rather then the full face of the bat, made 140 odd .

Never seen a guy so still at release of delivery , yet never rushed. Amazing balance.

I've heard the story, just not sure of the details. Had it been most other batsmen I would find it hard to believe, but with Barry I can actually believe it. That was half his problem playing for Hampshire, he gored bored a lot and threw his innings away. He needed Test cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting some comments re the BT sport coverage. Watched it in parts over here from the UK and to be honest I found their commentary horrible. They don't have the same over the top bullshit the Australian commentators have but they are incredibly biased - probably more so than the Channel 9 guys which is some effort. Graham Swann leading the way on that front. Absolute flog of the highest order. Was only bearable cause the Poms were getting hammered.

That’s because he just lets them go!!!

Why the * are you still sticking up for you bum buddy Wade? For someone who supports england you seem heavily defensive of your precious Victoria. Wade’s not even born in Victoria and doesn’t even represent your lot anymore so why do you care or are you still
hurt about all those mean things the general public hurled at his way when he was representing Victoria diddums?

Swann is genuinely funny-- I've laughed out loud plenty of times listening to him on BTsports, and he turns a phrase better than he turned the Kookaburra. But the best thing is that at the same time he is unwittingly hilarious with his rampant whinging whenever something goes against England, and then suddenly ridiculously optimistic takes on everything that happens slightly in England's favour. He's like a schoolboy who can't resist kicking the big boys when they're when they're down even though he'll scream bullying when they bail him up later.

I'm sure it was generally a lot easier to bear with England getting flogged, but the bit I probably enjoyed the most was when they were on top during that 3rd evening in Adelaide. Smith is given and he's going "Auustraalia are Foooour For Foourty" in the most smug Pom voice and then when the LBW was overturned I absolutely pissed myself. He was basically proclaiming the death of Australian cricket that night even though we were still so far ahead in the game, and mixed in with the nervous tension I was feeling it was amazing viewing/listening.

The BTsports coverage was so much better than Nine's abomination (and again this is probably only because Australia were dominating). Boycott tearing shreds off every English player whilst shamelessly boasting about his own exploits, Vaughan trying to hide his deep seated hatred for Australia with backhanded compliments, Swann as described above, and Allison Mitchell providing a slightly more balanced view (but she still seethes at every perceived injustice to England). Having Ponting and Gilchrist as the Australian voices was great, and they even wheeled out Brett Lee to ensure Aussies came off sounding like dribbling pea-brains. Helped make a one-sided series more enjoyable.

Have you ever heard Boycott's call of the over in the second test Adelaide last Ashes when Johnson took three wickets? It's very funny, even the other English commentators were laughing.

Interesting some comments re the BT sport coverage. Watched it in parts over here from the UK and to be honest I found their commentary horrible. They don't have the same over the top bullshit the Australian commentators have but they are incredibly biased - probably more so than the Channel 9 guys which is some effort. Graham Swann leading the way on that front. Absolute flog of the highest order. Was only bearable cause the Poms were getting hammered.
Davey Warner's recent dig at Swann might be one of the only times when Davey hasn't come across as being the biggest dickhead involved.

Swann's great on the BBL, didn't hear him on BT this summer though.

Have you ever heard Boycott's call of the over in the second test Adelaide last Ashes when Johnson took three wickets? It's very funny, even the other English commentators were laughing.

Have a link ?

Would love to hear it / can only assume his mum could have done better (he’d be right )

He had gastro, he wasn’t dying.

Take some gastro stop and get out there - at least front up for the presentation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back