Haha epic :D

1545221_10151854014397555_1176545569_n.jpg

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
I actually think to a point that he's mellowed a bit and to use a Pommy expression realises what a prat he was - but he calls it as he sees it and enjoyed listening to him over both series - particularly about his mum batting with a stick of rhubarb.

I guess sometimes the impression a boy receives can be everlasting one. After having it drummed into me that you don't have to like an umpire's decision but you DO have to accept it (which is why I detest the DRS), I ventured along to the 1970-71 Adelaide Test (Lillee's debut).

Boycott was given run out. Whether he thought he'd made his ground or not, I don't care. He threw his bat down like a spoilt brat, stood there with his hands on his hips refusing to go. Had he realized he'd made a mistake, picked up his bat and got off the ground ASAP, I would have been happy with that.

But no, not Lord Boycott, with the crowd jeering and booing, he continued to stand there as if he thought the umpire was going to change his mind or something. Eventually, Greg Chappell walked over, picked the bat, handed it to Boycott and showed him where the pavilion was.

Then Boycott took an eternity to leave the ground. I've always detested Boycott for that, and it never came as any surprise when I continued to hear stories of how he was a loner, how he thought everything was about him, etc. I just cannot draw myself to be interested in any criticism he may have of others.

Some things just leave a sour taste in the mouth. Greg Dyer's continued cheating and playing outside the spirit of the game was one. Greg Chappell ordering Trevor Chappell to bowl an underarm was another.

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
I'm not trying to be critical of Alex Doolan's selection, just curious. Can someone fill me in on what he has done to warrant this selection? I looked him up on Cricinfo and he's made 6 100s in 94 innings at an average of just under 38. Not exactly an earth shattering effort, especially if he's going to be batting at 3.

Long gone are the days when players like Greg Chappell, Hayden and Lehmann had to make 1000 runs a season, year after year before getting selected. Just shows the condition Australian cricket is really in.

Doolan showed some excellent form a while back, but his recent 4 day form has been ordinary. I think his selection is a reward for semi recent consistency.

You are correct with your comparison to days gone by. In better times there were often a list of guys kicking the door down for a spot just by shear weight of runs. Not any more.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
I guess sometimes the impression a boy receives can be everlasting one. After having it drummed into me that you don't have to like an umpire's decision but you DO have to accept it (which is why I detest the DRS), I ventured along to the 1970-71 Adelaide Test (Lillee's debut).

Boycott was given run out. Whether he thought he'd made his ground or not, I don't care. He threw his bat down like a spoilt brat, stood there with his hands on his hips refusing to go. Had he realized he'd made a mistake, picked up his bat and got off the ground ASAP, I would have been happy with that.

But no, not Lord Boycott, with the crowd jeering and booing, he continued to stand there as if he thought the umpire was going to change his mind or something. Eventually, Greg Chappell walked over, picked the bat, handed it to Boycott and showed him where the pavilion was.

Then Boycott took an eternity to leave the ground. I've always detested Boycott for that, and it never came as any surprise when I continued to hear stories of how he was a loner, how he thought everything was about him, etc. I just cannot draw myself to be interested in any criticism he may have of others.

Some things just leave a sour taste in the mouth. Greg Dyer's continued cheating and playing outside the spirit of the game was one. Greg Chappell ordering Trevor Chappell to bowl an underarm was another.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/604169.html

You will enjoy this one then!

I remember watching that on TV. Boycott got 58 from memory. He made a complete dick of himself that day.

The bastard made an unbeaten hundred in the 2nd dig too.
Yeah, Boycott caned us that series. Along with Luckhurst and Edrich.

That was the test where Stackpole and Ian Chappell both got hundreds in our second innings to secure the draw. We were 3 down for over 300 when they drew stumps.

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing

That was the test where Stackpole and Ian Chappell both got hundreds in our second innings to secure the draw. We were 3 down for over 300 when they drew stumps.

Yeah the Poms beat us handily and it was enough for the selectors to send Bill Lawry packing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton

Reckon that was the one when Stacky was run out by a foot early on, photo was in the paper next day.

Poms didn't get on with umpire Lou Rowan, and it all boiled over in the infamous 7th Sydney Test when Snow hit Jenner, and Snow ended up being manhandled by a drunken crowd member, then Illingworth took them off the field, technically giving us the Ashes.

Reckon that was the one when Stacky was run out by a foot early on, photo was in the paper next day.
No, that was the first test in Brisbane. That incident occurred when he was 18 and he went on to make 207. :D

A pommy photographer was lucky enough to get a photo just at the right time. My recollection is that it was very close and you can't blame the umpire for giving it not out. But I could be wrong.

The photo isn't on the web as far as I know. I'd have it in my cricket mags somewhere, but I can't be bothered looking for it.

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing

Poms didn't get on with umpire Lou Rowan, and it all boiled over in the infamous 7th Sydney Test when Snow hit Jenner, and Snow ended up being manhandled by a drunken crowd member, then Illingworth took them off the field, technically giving us the Ashes.

Here's the pic of Snow sconing Jenner >

_71142224_jenner_snow_getty.jpg

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood

Yes, I do recall hearing about that but never knew the details. Imagine having a captain who wouldn't speak to his players. I don't know what amazes me most. That he actually captained England, or that a person who had no regard for the game, it's values, his country, his team mates, the paying public, or anyone else but himself, can still be making a living from the game as a commentator.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Yeah, Boycott caned us that series.

It was right up Boycott's alley. Flat wickets facing a spent Graham McKenzie (he was never the same after South Africa) and "fearsome" pace attacks of Alan Thomson, Ross Duncan, Greg Chappell and Doug Walters.

When the Ashes battle of 1972 eventuated, and Dennis Lillee had emerged as a quality quick bowler, Boycott made scores of 8, 47, 8, 6 before "disappearing" as he always did when quicks were bowling at the other end.

Could you tell from the replay if he made his ground or not? They didn't have side on camera in those days.
I honestly can't remember. I just remember his carry-on after the dismissal.

Without wanting to defend the way he embarrassed himself, it wouldn't surprise me if it was partly because of frustration with the umpiring in the series. As Stig mentioned, Stacky was given not out in a close run out call in the first test, only for a photo to appear the next day in the press showing him short of his ground. And then famously, the English didn't get one LBW appeal granted in the entire series*. On top of that I dont' think Rowan's officious nature particularly helped either. Of course, it all boiled over in the next (and final) test at the SCG.

*Years ago, ABC2 showed highlights of the 70/71 series late at night. I recall seeing highlights of Australia batting in (I think) the final test. There was one particular LBW appeal against an Australian batsman which was given not out. Even allowing for the primitive camera work of the time, it looked so plumb (it was the behind the bowler view). If that was indicative of what the poms copped during the series, I wouldn't blame them for cracking the sads - but there are ways of doing it, and Boycott's wasn't one of them.

As I said, I don't defend Boycott one bit, but it wouldn't surprise me if by that stage the frustration with the umpiring (and Rowan in particular) just went past the point of no return.

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
Always makes me laugh when you read stories of 'the good old days' and how modern critics and commentators whinge about the spirit of cricket and the antics of modern players.

Damn thing has never really existed.

It was more plentiful in days gone by when cricket was more of a sport and less a profession.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back