Opinion 6.6.6 Is it working?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Second sentence explains that. A lot of defensive first structures around the league with midfields.

It's not helping us but that's more to do with our midfield mix and structures then the rule.
The defensive midfield structures are being used because of the rule, which has meant that one of the main purposes of the rule change i.e. fast break goals from a centre clearance are not happening. The coaches are smarter than the AFL and will always go defence first.

No different to the good / bad “not 15” calls / not calls.

Yes, but you'd still have those so you're just adding another layer of bad calls. I'm not a fan of the kick backwards but they're a necessary tool for players and I certainly don't wont to see play-on calls when they're used.

You’d want to bring back the professional 15 meter penalty? Teams could go back to holding up play for a 15 meter penalty?

The game has moved on.

Teams still do it now. I'd like to see some of those delaying tactics like laying over the footy, not releasing it, and getting in the way of the player trying to retrieve the footy penalized.

It's what the VFL has been doing for years haven't they, play on called when backward kicks happen inside def 50?

Did it for a couple of years I think but ultimately reverted to paying the marks now haven't they.

I've not seen evidence of it working for that purpose. In fact, I reckon there are now less goals kicked from centre breaks. I'd like to see the stats on it.
Reckon there have been some pretty exciting finishes, including late quick goals out of centre breaks following goals? The fact that teams can't flood the backline after goals is surely a good thing late in games. Combine that with no runners to tell players to flood back in general play adds a bit more excitement. But maybe I have been brainwashed by the AFL.

Reckon there have been some pretty exciting finishes, including late quick goals out of centre breaks following goals? The fact that teams can't flood the backline after goals is surely a good thing late in games. Combine that with no runners to tell players to flood back in general play adds a bit more excitement. But maybe I have been brainwashed by the AFL.
Yeah, I agree that it does help in tight finishes, which is probably the main benefit (aside from the aesthetics).

I'm not sure whether statistically there are more goals in those circumstances, but it certainly gives the feeling that there could be i.e. adds to the anxiety/excitement.

The defensive midfield structures are being used because of the rule, which has meant that one of the main purposes of the rule change i.e. fast break goals from a centre clearance are not happening. The coaches are smarter than the AFL and will always go defence first.

I think with the right mix of players its still achievable. How are Geelongs numbers in regards to this? they seem to have the player types suited exactly for this attacking set up. Tim Kelly, Danger et el.

Teams still do it now. I'd like to see some of those delaying tactics like laying over the footy, not releasing it, and getting in the way of the player trying to retrieve the footy penalized.

Holding onto players after a free is given or mark taken, especially obvious ones like when they are laying on the ground but the other player is standing and they hold their leg like a 2 yo wanting a ride on dads leg.

You’d want to bring back the professional 15 meter penalty? Teams could go back to holding up play for a 15 meter penalty?

The game has moved on.
The game can evolve without constant rule changes.

I think with the right mix of players its still achievable. How are Geelongs numbers in regards to this? they seem to have the player types suited exactly for this attacking set up. Tim Kelly, Danger et el.
They are definitely the team most suited so I'd like to see there stats.

Back