Analysis 6-6-6 Number of the Beast Rule - what will it mean for NMFC?

Kicking for goal after the siren

• A player who has been awarded a mark or free kick once play has ended:
  • Will now be able to kick across their body using a snap or check-side kick
  • BUT must kick the ball directly in line with the man on the mark and the goal.
Marking contests
  • The 'hands in the back’ rule interpretation has been repealed so a player can now:
  • Place his hands on the back of his opponent to protect his position in a marking contest
  • PROVIDED he does not push his opponent in the back.
Ruck contests: prior opportunity
  • A ruckman who takes direct possession of the ball from a bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in will no longer be regarded as having had prior opportunity.

These are the ones I actually like.

JD-Roo

Premiership Player
May 31, 2007
Kilmore-East
AFL Club
North Melbourne
  • BUT must kick the ball directly in line with the man on the mark and the goal.
This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen........

Wait for the post-match challenges about whether it was directly in line or whether they played on or not.

[EDIT]
These are the ones I actually like.
[/EDIT]
:D:D:D:D

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Water carriers not allowed on the field during live play? Lets hope we dont' have one of those hot early Perth/Brissy games and there's no goal for the first 15 mins. The guys will be ******.

I dont mind it, water carriers will just have motor up and down the boundary lines and behind the goals.

spongebucket

All Australian
Jun 18, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NBA, F1, EPL
The only rule that makes sense to me is the runners and water carriers rule, the rest are shite.

What if someone breaks one of the rules then what happens?

Good luck patrolling, enforcing these rules......

giphy-downsized.gif

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
So what is the point of the Goal square anymore?
Because just as before, the fast play on may not be desirable or on, and the player kicking out still has the time and space to assess his options before being pressured/tackled, just as they have before.

Just because this change is made doesn't mean every single time the ball re enters the field of play it will be from players playing on.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Water carriers not allowed on the field during live play? Lets hope we dont' have one of those hot early Perth/Brissy games and there's no goal for the first 15 mins. The guys will be ******.

Players can just suck on a sprinkler if they get thirsty. No problem.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They have been watching our kickins

The Competition Committee prioritised three key objectives, according to Rath, the AFL's coaching innovation and education manager:

- To provide a platform for players to play on instinct

- To progress and provide the opportunity for coaches to apply unique strategies

- To ensure we deliver the best version of our game to fans

Noteworthy was that scoring was not one of them, even though the downward trend in that area was a regular piece of the commentary on the rules topic throughout the year.

"Scoring hasn't been at the forefront of what we're trying to do," Rath said.

"We've referenced the fact scoring has declined, but the measures we've put in place were not centered around the idea of, 'We want to increase scoring'.

"At the heart of it are those three core goals."

However, the rule changes and interpretations should play a role in fighting back against the increasingly sophisticated defensive systems and potentially helping the scoreboard tick over more.

One statistic the AFL's research team discovered was that the side defending a kick-in, which had just scored a behind, was about twice as likely to register the next score.

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
The game of AFL is officially going to the dogs, the AFL have degraded this great game.

THE CHANGES

Traditional playing positions at centre bounces

• Clubs must have six players inside both 50m arcs, with one player inside the goalsquare.
  • Four midfield players must start inside the centre square with the two wingmen stationed along the wing.
Kick-ins

• At kick-ins, a player will no longer need to kick to himself to play on from the goalsquare.
  • Following a behind, the man on the mark will be brought out to 10m from the top of the goalsquare, rather than the existing five metres.
Marks and free kicks in defence

• When defenders mark or receive a free kick within nine metres of their own goal, the man on the mark will be brought in line with the top of the goalsquare.
Runners and water carriers

• Team runners may only enter the playing surface after a goal has been kicked and must exit before play restarts.
  • Water carriers are not permitted to enter the playing surface during live play.
Umpire contact

• Players will be prohibited from setting up behind the umpire at centre bounces.
50m penalties

• The player with the ball:
  • Must be allowed to advance the mark by 50m without the infringing player delaying the game.
  • Will be able to play on while the 50m penalty is being measured out.

Marking contests

• The 'hands in the back’ rule interpretation has been repealed so a player can now:
  • Place his hands on the back of his opponent to protect his position in a marking contest
  • PROVIDED he does not push his opponent in the back.
Ruck contests: prior opportunity

• A ruckman who takes direct possession of the ball from a bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in will no longer be regarded as having had prior opportunity.
  • Where there is uncertainty over who is the designated ruckman, the ruckman for each team will still be required to nominate to the field umpire.
So they still have not got rid of the ruck nomination bullshit.

And so a ruckman can take the ball out of the ruck and get caught and not holding the ball? Or have I read that incorrectly?

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
So they still have not got rid of the ruck nomination bullshit.

And so a ruckman can take the ball out of the ruck and get caught and not holding the ball? Or have I read that incorrectly?
Pretty sure the ruckman taking the ball will still be considered as a normal possession, as in he has to be making a genuine attempt if tackled aftr taking possession.

I think we'll find that players that just grab it to waste time late in games will be called for holding the ball if they're not trying to dispose of it.

MinistryOfMajak

All Australian
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This allowing hands in the back rule is going to create havoc. Especially with blokes like Rance hitting the deck everytime someone goes within a metre of him.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Unless your name is Buddy Franklin :p

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You can still exploit this by having one player set up in the forward line just on the 50 then jump into the midfield and have a midfielder set up on the back 50 and run into it once the ball is bounced. i dont see it making too much of a difference.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You can still exploit this by having one player set up in the forward line just on the 50 then jump into the midfield and have a midfielder set up on the back 50 and run into it once the ball is bounced. i dont see it making too much of a difference.
Which begs the question, why tf was this rule made in the first place?

The AFL is now rapidly losing its mind. It was slowly before, but now they are approaching 'full *' levels.

Never go full *, AFL.

goalieboy82

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
USA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Fairfax Kangaroos
It looks like the Number of the Beast (666) rule is set to be implemented in 2019.

That means at centre bounces 6 players from each team in each zone with four from each team allowed in the centre square.

Seems that our recruiting strategy is looking to exploit this rule to our advantage with the addition of Polec and Hall especially to our starting line up as speedy outside run should be a god send for launching attaching inside 50 from centre bounces.

Can see BBB and Jack licking their lips in anticipation at the prospect of decent delivery inside 50 without being flooded with defenders.

Thoughts?

El Triggso

Foremost authority and leading expert
Sep 26, 2013
Club cafe
AFL Club
North Melbourne
View attachment 572284

Another rule change. Sick of these campaigners and trying to justify their jobs. Rules committee. **** off. Return our game back to where it was 20 years ago

Return our team too.

Couldn’t agree more, however. The Rules committee has been like a guy who can’t solve the Rubix cube. They fix one side and unintentionally f*** the other, and have been chasing their tail for years, never quite getting it right.

Jul 27, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So you can just bolt straight out of the goal square?

FMD.

These campaigners are completely ******.

You will have blokes setting up by the bag and just piss bolting back into play like they do in international rules.

Will look shithouse, and a few teams will get exposed the other way when tired

Tiberius

Generational Talent
Sep 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So when will a kick in from a behind count as a posession? Always? Never? If we've taken out the need to kick it to yourself are you allowed to run out if the square and handball? Are you allowed to handball from in the square?

We have the best game in the World we are told yet the Rules keep on getting changed. The sooner Gilligan is crucified on an upside down cross and his balls are set on fire the better. :stern look

Agree.

This will be a broad brush clusterf*** rather than the usual tweaking clusterf***.

I love my club. I'm really struggling with the AFL product.

Pretty sure the ruckman taking the ball will still be considered as a normal possession, as in he has to be making a genuine attempt if tackled aftr taking possession.

I think we'll find that players that just grab it to waste time late in games will be called for holding the ball if they're not trying to dispose of it.

Was simpler before and they still managed to call it incorrectly every now and again. I'm not huge on rules that add more interpretation when it's simple enough to not have them.

Back