Analysis 6-6-6 Number of the Beast Rule - what will it mean for NMFC?

So when will a kick in from a behind count as a posession? Always? Never? If we've taken out the need to kick it to yourself are you allowed to run out if the square and handball? Are you allowed to handball from in the square?
I heard Hocking say you can run out of the square and handball it, not sure if you can handball from the square. Other questions that need to be answered, what happens if you run from the square and then kick it out (on the bounce) with no one touching it, is it still a free kick? What if you handball it out with no one touching it?

I'm hopping to see Pittard in the goal square about to take the kick out but Polec runs towards him yelling, "I'll take the kick out" Pittard then handballs it 15 meters as if he's letting Polec take over, but Polec just turns and runs up the field and its play on!

I heard Hocking say you can run out of the square and handball it, not sure if you can handball from the square. Other questions that need to be answered, what happens if you run from the square and then kick it out (on the bounce) with no one touching it, is it still a free kick? What if you handball it out with no one touching it?

I'm hopping to see Pittard in the goal square about to take the kick out but Polec runs towards him yelling, "I'll take the kick out" Pittard then handballs it 15 meters as if he's letting Polec take over, but Polec just turns and runs up the field and its play on!
****ed the game

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We have the best game in the World we are told yet the Rules keep on getting changed. The sooner Gilligan is crucified on an upside down cross and his balls are set on fire the better. :stern look
Whilst that punishment is entirely appropriate. I’d prefer that the Vlad Dracula aka Vlad the Impaler punishment was applied..

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Hands in back

- help out Browny big time
- not help Thomo and that has been shown pre this rule

- stops BBB being double teamed at start of play

Kick ins

- will help fast defenders to run into play and deeper; good-our kick ins which have been at times woeful the past few years; bad for Crazy Horse JMac charging up the ground for a turn over and rebound

- good for Hrovat and Turner because they bring pressure to kick in runners and this will see them kick 12 goals between them for the season

Prior Opportunity in Ruck

- good for nimble coordinated Ruckman
- bad for slow uncos

So glad the goal square stayed the same size

One thing the 6-6-6 rule does make clearer is the greater importance on winning centre clearances. For years it's been obvious how damaging we can be when on top in the middle, and how shyte we can appear when not. Tyson's recruitment helping in this area couldn't be more timely now that Bon no longer has his preferred option of playing a seventh defender.

Water carriers not allowed on the field during live play? Lets hope we dont' have one of those hot early Perth/Brissy games and there's no goal for the first 15 mins. The guys will be ******.

The rule says "enter the field" so just get them on at a break in play and leave them on the field.

Return our team too.

Couldn’t agree more, however. The Rules committee has been like a guy who can’t solve the Rubix cube. They fix one side and unintentionally f*** the other, and have been chasing their tail for years, never quite getting it right.

That is a great call.

dus

Premiership Player
May 14, 2002
Poker Table
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
There should be outrage at the constant rule changes. It’s ******* the game.

It’s like introducing a carbon tax. We just accept it. We’ve become desensitised drones.

And to do it half way through the trade period. Now that’s just completely unprofessional.

There would be grounds to have a trade reversed due to new rules coming out.

What a s**t show.

What do people think the impact of 666 will be on the likelihood of being able to ply Larkey sooner?

Starting without that extra defender blocking his path can only be a positive.

Well, someone has to start from the goal square at a centre bounce. It would seem kind of stupid to extend it to 18m.

So instead they made it easier to play on from a behind.

Who did you quote because I never said this.

Who’s going to umpire the 6-6-6? With three umps you have one bouncing the ball and the other 2 will have to be checking to see if anyone runs out of the goal square or F50 before the bounce. This means players will be able to get away with holding and the center bounce!

Or are we going to give goal umps a whistle as well!!!

Who’s going to umpire the 6-6-6? With three umps you have one bouncing the ball and the other 2 will have to be checking to see if anyone runs out of the goal square or F50 before the bounce. This means players will be able to get away with holding and the center bounce!

So let's get this straight. Someone will have to check if there are 4 from each team in the centre square. 1 from each team on each wing. Make sure that those wingers enter the square until after the ball is bounced? Or does it now have to be cleared by the 8 in the square from the square before anybody else can run anywhere? Also check that there are 6 from each team in each 50. Also check that of those 6 from each team that 1 from each team is in each of the Goal Squares. And when can everybody move? Way to simplify the game. :stern look

It would make sense for goal umps to call goal square infringement for centre bounces.

And no I'm not supporting the changes.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

So let's get this straight. Someone will have to check if there are 4 from each team in the centre square. 1 from each team on each wing. Make sure that those wingers enter the square until after the ball is bounced? Or does it now have to be cleared by the 8 in the square from the square before anybody else can run anywhere? Also check that there are 6 from each team in each 50. Also check that of those 6 from each team that 1 from each team is in each of the Goal Squares. And when can everybody move? Way to simplify the game. :stern look

Center square and wing is done by boundary umps as per normal. Nothing changes there. But someone has to be watching the 50 Mtr line as you can’t run out until ball is bounced, same as the goal square.

It would make sense for goal umps to call goal square infringement for centre bounces.

And no I'm not supporting the changes.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

But how does the goal ump call the free? Needs a whistle!!

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Center square and wing is done by boundary umps as per normal. Nothing changes there. But someone has to be watching the 50 Mtr line as you can’t run out until ball is bounced, same as the goal square.

But how does the goal ump call the free? Needs a whistle!!

Microchip everyones boots and have a computer take on responsibility for the zones.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Microchip everyones boots and have a computer take on responsibility for the zones.
This!

And the lines to also be microchipped. Players to have a mini-tazer device in the inner soles of their boots so if they break any line rule or run too far they cop a few thousand volts to the soles of their feet. This would bring back the crowds - imagine seeing some stupid footballer in full stride suddenly leaping about in sync with a thousand volts pulsing through his feet.

PS. If the AFL don't do this I am going to send the same idea to Grant Denyer for his new game show.

Last edited:

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Well, someone has to start from the goal square at a centre bounce. It would seem kind of stupid to extend it to 18m.

So instead they made it easier to play on from a behind.

Can't help but think, 5 players start on the 50m ARC...… 1 in the goal square, if you could get a quick kick over from the centre bounce deep inside 50, one out ….…. MAJAK!!!!!! Explosive, strong, and if it hits the ground, can't think of any full back athletic enough to break his tackle or get it away without deliberate out of bounce.

discodaddy

All Australian
Jun 13, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
There are no others

Yep, there are a couple of straightforward technology solutions to this challenge. RFID tags on players and in-ground sensors could work. As could GPS solutions (although the dome with the roof closed may not work so well). If the rule sticks they will have a solution in place in 2-3 years, I reckon.

Back