Analysis 6-6-6 Number of the Beast Rule - what will it mean for NMFC?

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick question - what is the penalty for failing to have players in the 666 positions before the bounce?
Eternal damnation.

Or a flamboyant new overly dramatic signalling gesture from the ump who'll pay a free in the centre to the opposition ruckman. Whichever is worse.

Eternal damnation.

Or a flamboyant new overly dramatic signalling gesture from the ump who'll pay a free in the centre to the opposition ruckman. Whichever is worse.
Yeah i can just see it now, Razor Ray pirouetting arms up in the air signaling the BS new free kick rule.

Eternal damnation.

In the AFLW, the umpires seem to wait until the players are in the correct positions before throwing the ball up. Or at least, that's what I've heard teh commentators say when there's a slight delay to getting the game started again after a goal.

But obviously they can't wait forever. I imagine that they'll give them X amount of time to get set up correctly, and then if they aren't they'll pay a free kick, just as they would in the past if a player encroaches the square before the ball is bounced.

In the AFLW, the umpires seem to wait until the players are in the correct positions before throwing the ball up. Or at least, that's what I've heard teh commentators say when there's a slight delay to getting the game started again after a goal.

But obviously they can't wait forever. I imagine that they'll give them X amount of time to get set up correctly, and then if they aren't they'll pay a free kick, just as they would in the past if a player encroaches the square before the ball is bounced.

At least it's better than a 50m penalty. Ironically I could see a situation where a team might be defending at the death of a game and it might potentially be in their best interests to concede the penalty by stacking the back half of the ground and being ready to defend the kick from the centre circle.

Quick question - what is the penalty for failing to have players in the 666 positions before the bounce?

Sorry mate so many smartarses here. It was a reasonable question.

Fwiw I posted the question to the AFL operations manager and got this response:

Patrick Keane @AFL_PKeane 25 Feb 2019

I'm going to need more details to be able to give an accurate answer there @kcorey. Firstly, is the infringing side the Sydney Swans?

Sorry mate so many smartarses here. It was a reasonable question.

Fwiw I posted the question to the AFL operations manager and got this response:

Patrick Keane @AFL_PKeane 25 Feb 2019

I'm going to need more details to be able to give an accurate answer there @kcorey. Firstly, is the infringing side the Sydney Swans?
Smart campaigner

Only been able to watch one quarter of JLT so far (apparently “watch replay” means the 1st quarter only for the AFL Live app), so am wondering how long the 6-6-6 rule has an effect during play after the centre clearance.

i.e. if we win a clearance and it immediately leads to a boundary throw in on our HFF, by the time the thrown in has occurred have we already dropped a player back and are then playing a 7 man backline?

What about after several minutes of play?

Is the rule really having much of an effect beyond the centre clearance stoppage?

Been thinking about this more and can't help shake the suspicion that Cunnington will be able to go absolutely ballistic in the centre square this year. He's generally more than capable of pushing through 1-2 opposing mids. Now instead of having 3 hanging off him 2 seconds after he gets the ball he'll instead be able to hold his space and deliver by hand or foot under less pressure. Rather than this purely suiting the faster big mids I think it will suit the congested clearance kings - and he's right at the core of that group of players.

And the centre square. Just have wing lines and a dot at 9m from goal.
Still need the goal square because you haven’t played on until you’re leave the square.

But yep, the end lines of the center square are redundant.
It's a ******* goal rectangle now!

Get it right!

One suave *

Been thinking about this more and can't help shake the suspicion that Cunnington will be able to go absolutely ballistic in the centre square this year. He's generally more than capable of pushing through 1-2 opposing mids. Now instead of having 3 hanging off him 2 seconds after he gets the ball he'll instead be able to hold his space and deliver by hand or foot under less pressure. Rather than this purely suiting the faster big mids I think it will suit the congested clearance kings - and he's right at the core of that group of players.
Spot on! Ahern, Tyson and Jed (when fit) will be loving this!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The kick in change has cooked us. We haven’t been a good team kicking out since... well I can’t remember us ever being any good but this change has seen our pathetic attempts amplified as it turns over and it’s straight back for a shot at goal

Well if there is less scoring there will be less kick ins it's all relative.
Personally, i thought that the new kick in rules would help us since we are not great at it to say the least, apart from kick it long to Maj or down the middle to Cunners we have nothing.

There were a number of times I was yelling at the players for not running out of the goal square on the weekend, like they had forgotten the new rules? I was almost waiting for that one person to kick it to himself, which would have been embarrassing.

In regards to the 6-6-6 rule I think it has caught a few teams out not managing to adapt to the new rules, or the game plan that teams thought would work hasnt, think we may see some really unpredictable winning and losing margins this season, which means an unpredictable ladder. I think the new rules has also allowed the younger players to adapt pretty well having used the similar rules in the the under 18's, while some of the older seniors players are still yet to adapt. All in all an interesting weekend of football and most probably will continue to play out to be unpredictable.

Good luck with those who like to bet.

I seem to remember we had a bit of success kicking in to a 1 out Cunners @ CHB, but it appears to have been taken off the playlist, is a decent option as Cunners is very strong overhead.

You basically get a 20m run from the square yeah?

Stick Cunners in the centre circle and set up to kick to the boundaries as normal then piss bolt up the middle and boot it long. Have Hall and Polec ready to run past. Do it once or twice a quarter for a couple of games then when ever its appropriate. If nothing else you will then be able to decoy Cunners in the centre circle more often at kickouts and * with the oppositions certainty about what will happen.

You basically get a 20m run from the square yeah?

Stick Cunners in the centre circle and set up to kick to the boundaries as normal then piss bolt up the middle and boot it long. Have Hall and Polec ready to run past. Do it once or twice a quarter for a couple of games then when ever its appropriate. If nothing else you will then be able to decoy Cunners in the centre circle more often at kickouts and **** with the oppositions certainty about what will happen.
Actually don't mind this. But our skills have to be perfect. No fumbles or missing the target.

Kinda reminds me of the 2012 plan which was to kick into the middle to Hansen on the lead and give off to Atley running past, then lace out hit Petrie i50 whilst Tarrant is a decoy.

Can be implemented, but needs to be considered if the players can do it flawlessly at training.

Actually don't mind this. But our skills have to be perfect. No fumbles or missing the target.

Kinda reminds me of the 2012 plan which was to kick into the middle to Hansen on the lead and give off to Atley running past, then lace out hit Petrie i50 whilst Tarrant is a decoy.

Can be implemented, but needs to be considered if the players can do it flawlessly at training.

I'd prefer Taz kicking out and Goldy and Mackay as targets/decoys on the flanks. Taz is a good kick.

I'd prefer Taz kicking out and Goldy and Mackay as targets/decoys on the flanks. Taz is a good kick.
Agreed!

Taz is a sensational kick for his size. Can bomb to a loose man and pinpoint pass whenever he likes. However too much adrenaline does stifle his kicking ability a bit! (Adelaide last year)

Tarrant kicks into the corridor...

Pittard/whomever marks and gives off to Atley...

Then Cunners needs to abandon the talls on the flanks, and be on the wing waiting for the kick into the middle, and run towards the middle to provide an option. Have Macmillan support run beside him in case the ball gets loose. Have Hall running like his arse is on fire to get the next give and have Polec on the other wing as an option. Hall kicks to Polec on the run...

JZ and Brown need to be constantly moving around whilst this happens... Once the ball is in the hands of Polec, Cunners needs to run i50 to provide a bit of a decoy along with other forwards running in, (opposition will see this and wouldn't know what to do) Polec sees Brown with room somehow, hits him up 20 out. Goal.

This kinda looks like the 2013 match against Richmond as well. Where we clogged the defensive 50, only to transfer the ball to the other side flawlessly for a goal. Tigers couldn't touch us because of the support running.

But this is tiring as *. We should defs keep it to a couple of plays a quarter lol.

Agreed.

Apart from Thompson, he's the only one down there I have any confidence of actually retaining the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back