Analysis 6-6-6 Number of the Beast Rule - what will it mean for NMFC?

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I will say is with the 6 6 6 rule I think the umps should throw it up.

There were several bounces last week and again over this week which clearly favoured one side. With no wings, forwards or backs coming off the square it’s critical that the bounce is a fair contest.

Yeah. It definitely cost us a couple of times but I wouldn't have noticed it if it had given us the advantage. I've noticed it in a few other games too. Just has to work like a great kick - to one ruck's advantage - and its basically a free start with the ball.

ALASTAIR Clarkson is bemused.

A raft of rule changes were brought in to open up the play and increase scoring.

Instead, the opposite has happened.

"They're strange games at the minute," the Hawthorn coach said.

"I reckon six of the nine games, in pretty good conditions, are decided by 10 goals each, in a competition where we're trying to get teams to score more. All the changes we've made to the game and we're scoring less.

"That's what's hard to foresee as a competition and hard to foresee as coaches and players, to see what changes we'll make.

"It's not leading to high scores at the minute."

Read: Match report - Round 4

Clarkson aims for 16 goals a game, theorising that would make his side winners more often than not.

The Hawks have failed to hit that target in every match thus far – booting 12, 13, 13 and 10 – but it's hardly a problem unique to them.

"We need to work out a way (to kick more goals), as do other sides, because there's a lot of games being decided by small margins with not many goals being scored," Clarkson said.

"Who would've thought the Pies and the Dogs would have the game that they had? Ninety uncontested marks between them in the first quarter on Friday night, 10 inside-50s to nine, one goal to zero.

"The game is in a really, really interesting phase and everyone's trying to work it out.

"I ain't got any answers just at the minute and I don't think many others have either."

The AFL instituted the changes after careful consideration, consulting widely to make changes that were largely popular when they were announced.

Thus far, they haven't worked.

"Everyone expects that these gurus in the game that can look into the crystal ball and forecast what goes on," Clarkson said.

"Now that they've changed the kick-in rule for instance, there's more goals scored on returns than there are kick-ins. No one had the foresight to expect that that was going to happen.

"When you make nine or 10 changes, it's going to be quite significant, but no one really knows which one's going to change the game or whether it's going to be good for it or otherwise.

"We're only four rounds in, it's so difficult to get a sample size on that just yet. It'll settle itself down over the journey but that's why no one really knows where they're at right at this point in the season.

"Everyone's lost and barring a kick close to the siren today (Carlton being edged by Gold Coast), everyone should've won as well. It's a really, really close competition. It might be survival of the fittest."

So does Clarkson, the four-time premiership coach, recognised as one of the most brilliant minds in the game, know how this all plays out?

"Your crystal ball's as good as mine."

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/04/15/will-we-see-a-backwards-kick-be-deemed-as-play-on-next-year/
Will we see a backwards kick be deemed as play-on next year?

Former North Melbourne premiership player David King is expecting a discussion to arise about the amount of backwards kicking in the game at the moment.
King has suggested that a backwards kick could be deemed play-on in the next 12 months, saying he would be surprised if the AFL didn’t look into it.

“I think we’ll end up discussing that if you do kick the ball backwards it’s a play-on,” he told SEN Mornings.
“I think that’ll be a discussion at the end of the year because the possession retention and slowly moving down the ground is just taking minutes off the clock.
“I’ll be surprised if we’re not discussing the backwards kick in the defensive half at the end of the season.”
King believes the reduction of backwards kicking will improve the standard of the game.
“If you want to switch the ball backwards and across, you’ve got to do it at speed which is what we want, we want the game in motion, or you take territory,” he said.
“We want high marking, we want contests, so it forces you to go forward.
“I think that’ll come but whether we’re ready for it right away, it’ll certainly be a discussion for at the end of the year.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/04/15/will-we-see-a-backwards-kick-be-deemed-as-play-on-next-year/
Will we see a backwards kick be deemed as play-on next year?

Former North Melbourne premiership player David King is expecting a discussion to arise about the amount of backwards kicking in the game at the moment.
King has suggested that a backwards kick could be deemed play-on in the next 12 months, saying he would be surprised if the AFL didn’t look into it.

“I think we’ll end up discussing that if you do kick the ball backwards it’s a play-on,” he told SEN Mornings.
“I think that’ll be a discussion at the end of the year because the possession retention and slowly moving down the ground is just taking minutes off the clock.
“I’ll be surprised if we’re not discussing the backwards kick in the defensive half at the end of the season.”
King believes the reduction of backwards kicking will improve the standard of the game.
“If you want to switch the ball backwards and across, you’ve got to do it at speed which is what we want, we want the game in motion, or you take territory,” he said.
“We want high marking, we want contests, so it forces you to go forward.
“I think that’ll come but whether we’re ready for it right away, it’ll certainly be a discussion for at the end of the year.”
An obvious rule change is that any kick backwards outside of your forward 50 is play on - should have been brought in years ago.

It's definitely noticeable that the games aren't going to the way we are used to - for some reason it's harder to tip than it's ever been. Not sure if it's necessarily the consequence of 6-6-6 or something else. I am sure as the season goes on, lots of things will settle down, and Gold Coast, St Kilda and the like will drop back down where they belong, and I reckon teams that adjust best will benefit from the settling down process. If it was us, we could easily correct the terrible start to the season, given how the competition is going. Just need to adjust to the way the game is played.

A manipulated "athletic entertainment" spectacle literally brought to you by Disney and Fox. Congrats to Gillon for literally turning the AFL into a Mickey Mouse competition.

Brought to you by Marvel Stadium, go see Avengers and don't forget to subscribe to Disney+ now streaming AFL Live after the recent buyout of Kayo and Foxtel!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back