6-6-6 setup at centre bounces

Remove this Banner Ad

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
What does the rule say as to when exactly the players are allowed to break out of the formation?

The reason I ask is that I noticed one of the Pies wingmen often ran around the back side of the square as soon as the umpire bouncing the ball started his movement to the bounce. I.e. before the bounce.

The umpire on the corner of the square ignored the headstart although Grundy was warned once (maybe in the 3rd quarter) - although not sure why though.

Is it a bit of a loophole to the rules or not umpired properly?

Once the field Umpire commences their approach to the Centre Circle to bounce or throw up the football to start a quarter, or recommence play after a Goal has been scored the players are free to move out of the 6-6-6 positions.

So the laws were applied as they were written. I'm thinking there might be a tweak next year.

I think you will see teams making use of this then.

I bet a defender will get a running start and fly into the square as the bounce occurs (making up the distance between the 50m and square in the seconds between the start of the bounce routine and the physical bounce).

It is easy and it requires no rule changes! Just enforce the current rules properly. If incorrect disposal was enforced properly on players with the ball, and if holding was enforced properly on defenders there would be less congestion. A free automatically means the ball should travel at least 40-50 metres. The further the ball travels, the less often a mass of players can get around it.

And as a result, if coaches knew there was always a higher possibility of the ball rapidly coming back into their defensive 50 they would coach players to stay spaced out more often.

The solution is so simple and all it requires is AFL HQ demanding umpires enforce rules properly. You can count a hundred times a game when players get away with dropping the ball or air swinging, and defenders being allowed to pull and push players before they have control of the ball.

Blow the bloody whistle when rules are broken and you will get the style of game you want.

Finally someone gets it

Yep if you can't dispose of the ball it should be holding the ball. That way players would knock the ball forward if they are under pressure, rather than the current impasse where you take possession knowing you will be tackled straight away to cause a stoppage. That was not how football was played when I was a kid, your aim was never to be tackled, if you got tackled with the ball you knew you'd stuffed up, not these days.

It is easy and it requires no rule changes! Just enforce the current rules properly. If incorrect disposal was enforced properly on players with the ball, and if holding was enforced properly on defenders there would be less congestion. A free automatically means the ball should travel at least 40-50 metres. The further the ball travels, the less often a mass of players can get around it.

And as a result, if coaches knew there was always a higher possibility of the ball rapidly coming back into their defensive 50 they would coach players to stay spaced out more often.

The solution is so simple and all it requires is AFL HQ demanding umpires enforce rules properly. You can count a hundred times a game when players get away with dropping the ball or air swinging, and defenders being allowed to pull and push players before they have control of the ball.

Blow the bloody whistle when rules are broken and you will get the style of game you want.

don't come around here stating the obvious and spruiking common sense.

if we did as you suggested, we have happy supporters........we can't risk having that!

i mean you're right, but people complain when there's like 45 frees paid in a game that the "umpires are controlling a game". there should be 150 a game to start with until the players adjust, but man the howling will be awful

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The positioning of the umpires on the ground has a huge influence over free kicks paid. The players get this - they hold/throw the ball/infringe on the boundary side of the contest (ie crowd/camera side) while the umpires run up and down the middle of the ground.

And then people start bitching and moaning about the game being overumpired, i clearly remember everyone losing there minds over the Essendon/Melbourne game and how "over umpired" it was. I agree in wanting umpires to pay the frees but we all know how the fans will react.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back