6-6-6 - winners and losers

shintemaster

Premium Gold
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's interesting most people are expecting high speed classic power mids to be the big winners out of this change, I can see that but from a North point of view I can see Cunnington having a field day in the centre under these rules. He's already got the ability to simply barge through at least one tackling player and has exceptional vision and creativity with his disposals in close. I can see this making his strengths even more obvious and will allow him to play right in the centre and rest forward even more effectively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goggin Our Best

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Geelong
It's pretty obvious when you watch footy critically and look at other teams apart from your own. Similar with Port Adelaide in 2014ish when they were pushing for a premiership, the media and others were convinced it was because of their superior fitness, when it was actually their pressure and contested work. Some parts of Konrad Marshall's book after Tigers 2017 was a real eye-opener to all of this and make it very clear to anyone with half a brain. The best teams will always be those who can out-pressure their opponents, goes for just about every sport. That's why the constant rule changes are annoying and dinosaurs like Blight are out of touch. Pressure will always be the #1 most important thing in footy. GF last year showed us this. The moment WC pressure lifted and they were able to cramp up the game, they started getting on top and wore the Pies down.
Mate theres 2 ways to skin a rat

Personally Id prefer to see at the centre bounce Mark Lee tap the ball to an anticipating moving Geoff Raines - who has 1 possibly 2 bounces and then kicks a 65 metre goal on the run - thats what i call exciting

You can have your swarming pressure - watching some of the recent GFs i often to think to myself what do 1 off spectators ( ie people in the Northern states ) think of the game - probably think its an embarassing miss mash of everything - stands for nothing

Coasters7

Club Legend
AFL Club
West Coast
Mate theres 2 ways to skin a rat

Personally Id prefer to see at the centre bounce Mark Lee tap the ball to an anticipating moving Geoff Raines - who has 1 possibly 2 bounces and then kicks a 65 metre goal on the run - thats what i call exciting

You can have your swarming pressure - watching some of the recent GFs i often to think to myself what do 1 off spectators ( ie people in the Northern states ) think of the game - probably think its an embarassing miss mash of everything - stands for nothing
A mix of the two is good. Don’t really want it turning into - win centre clearance - create an overlap because your direct opponent is beaten - score goal.. every centre bounce. Exciting to see it so open for forwards and the better defensive teams will still be able to repel attacks but it’s best midfield wins. 2016 West Coast would finish bottom 4 without a doubt.

AFL Club
Richmond
Centre clearances and than total clearances are two different stats

Dustin Martin led the comp in centre clearances but in terms of total clearances he is ranked 15th

But this thread is about 6-6-6 rulings so centre clearances would be the numbers we are interested in

Would love to know how many each of those players started in the centre square. that will probably paint an even bigger picture..

AFL Club
Geelong
Guys like Danger, Dusty, Treloar, Yeo etc who can accelerate quickly out of stoppages are the big winners. With no one running off the back of the square those guys could be kicking goals out of the centre bounces regularly I reckon.

Top Bottom