6-6-6 - winners and losers

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually best over the past 2 seasons. But even if he was 4th - which hes not - that hardly suggests he's someone that plays free and will struggle.

I actually hoped 6-6-6 would work as it works to our advantage. Lynch and Reiwoldt up fwd, number 1 centre clearance player in the comp Dusty and the best KPD in the comp down the other end ably assisted by the best defensive outfit in the comp. We'd go alright

and we'll see about Cox and the pies this year. They had their chance and blew it, wont get another one with us, wce and the dees all peaking

View attachment 632506

no use posting this table, oppo fans will continue to say rance is s**t coz he lost 2 contests against their team in 1 game therefore he is the worst defender of all time

Actually best over the past 2 seasons. But even if he was 4th - which hes not - that hardly suggests he's someone that plays free and will struggle.

I actually hoped 6-6-6 would work as it works to our advantage. Lynch and Reiwoldt up fwd, number 1 centre clearance player in the comp Dusty and the best KPD in the comp down the other end ably assisted by the best defensive outfit in the comp. We'd go alright

and we'll see about Cox and the pies this year. They had their chance and blew it, wont get another one with us, wce and the dees all peaking

View attachment 632506
I reckon those stats are actually pretty good for Rance considering he lost about 20 contests in the Prelim I reckon.

Teams that are coached well and run both ways so winners -

Hawthorn (but lack the talent to capitalise and win the GF)
And
Crows. Only team to keep the oppo to 3 goals at 3 qtr time and have a goalless qtr that I know of. Hawks kept Richmond to 2 til half time but got completely overrun.

Losers

Teams that don't have good coaches and only run 1 way. Or in Richmond's case, have developed a style of plays they are deeply entrenched in that has won them a premiership.

So

Port and North - both 1 way runners, questionable coaches.

Richmond - As above. I think they are getting ripped off a bit. They spent a long time developing a game plan to be competitive in finals, and now everything goes out the window and I think they may still try and play the same brand of footy until they catch on to what works from other teams and will suffer in the short term . But should still have the talent to make finals unlike the other 2 losers.

could make dominant contested marks like jeremy mcgovern MVPs, with elite 3rd talls like alex rance a bit nerfed.

Actually it suits Alex to a “T”.

5cbb683ad3927b35dc2b38590eda2246.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets see if the bookies get it right.

RICHMOND 5.00
COLLINGWOOD 6.00
MELBOURNE 6.00
WEST COAST 8.00

ESSENDON 11.00
ADELAIDE 12.00
GEELONG 13.00
GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 17.00

SYDNEY 21.00
HAWTHORN 26.00
NORTH MELBOURNE 34.00
PORT ADELAIDE 41.00
BRISBANE 51.00
WESTERN BULLDOGS 51.00
FREMANTLE 67.00
CARLTON 101.00
ST KILDA 101.00
GOLD COAST 501.00

RICHMOND 5.00
COLLINGWOOD 6.00
MELBOURNE 6.00
WEST COAST 8.00

ESSENDON 11.00
ADELAIDE 12.00
GEELONG 13.00

SYDNEY 21.00
HAWTHORN 26.00
NORTH MELBOURNE 34.00
PORT ADELAIDE 41.00
BRISBANE 51.00
WESTERN BULLDOGS 51.00
FREMANTLE 67.00
CARLTON 101.00
ST KILDA 101.00
GOLD COAST 501.00

Essendon fifth favourite ffs!

RICHMOND 5.00
COLLINGWOOD 6.00
MELBOURNE 6.00
WEST COAST 8.00

ESSENDON 11.00
ADELAIDE 12.00
GEELONG 13.00

SYDNEY 21.00
HAWTHORN 26.00
NORTH MELBOURNE 34.00
PORT ADELAIDE 41.00
BRISBANE 51.00
WESTERN BULLDOGS 51.00
FREMANTLE 67.00
CARLTON 101.00
ST KILDA 101.00
GOLD COAST 501.00
WC clearly the value to me. I like $17 for us but I never bet with my heart. Top 3 have a Vic discount, chance but no value I think.

Teams that are coached well and run both ways so winners -

Hawthorn (but lack the talent to capitalise and win the GF)
And
Crows. Only team to keep the oppo to 3 goals at 3 qtr time and have a goalless qtr that I know of. Hawks kept Richmond to 2 til half time but got completely overrun.

Losers

Teams that don't have good coaches and only run 1 way. Or in Richmond's case, have developed a style of plays they are deeply entrenched in that has won them a premiership.

So

Port and North - both 1 way runners, questionable coaches.

Richmond - As above. I think they are getting ripped off a bit. They spent a long time developing a game plan to be competitive in finals, and now everything goes out the window and I think they may still try and play the same brand of footy until they catch on to what works from other teams and will suffer in the short term . But should still have the talent to make finals unlike the other 2 losers.
I keep reading tigers will be losers from 6-6-6 but not convinced by the argument

RICHMOND 5.00
COLLINGWOOD 6.00
MELBOURNE 6.00
WEST COAST 8.00

ESSENDON 11.00
ADELAIDE 12.00
GEELONG 13.00

SYDNEY 21.00
HAWTHORN 26.00
NORTH MELBOURNE 34.00
PORT ADELAIDE 41.00
BRISBANE 51.00
WESTERN BULLDOGS 51.00
FREMANTLE 67.00
CARLTON 101.00
ST KILDA 101.00
GOLD COAST 501.00

Geelong and Adelaide shorter than GWS?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rules haven't ruined the game defensive footy has.

Yep, my glib answer is "hit the boundary line" was how they killed the contest back in the day. Endless scrums up and down the boundary watched by 15-20k people in miserable conditions.
Occasionally theres a classic game and 50k people claim they were there

I keep reading tigers will be losers from 6-6-6 but not convinced by the argument
It's a conundrum. We have an undersized ruck and our midfield is over-reliant on Cotchin and Martin. That being said a lot of the speculation is based on a misreading of stats - the fact that we were the worst team for clearances last year. That stat was a product of the fact that we played Grigg as a second ruck, effectively conceding clearances forward of the centre, but ensuring that, with an extra midfielder at the stoppage, any opposition clearance would be rushed and ineffective. The 6-6-6 only applies to centre clearances, however, and (while I can't find the stat) my memory is that we were one of the better teams for centre clearances. The new ruck rule has more of an impact in that it makes the Grigg rucking tactic redundant, though I suspect that would have been abandoned anyway. We played Balta as a second ruck/forward in the JLT with great success and there's some suggestion that Lynch might do some ruck work up forward as well.

Agree to a point... If Nank consistently cant get the tap to Dusty,I think the Tigers may be in for a rude awakening this year.
What do you think will happen if Jacobs can't consistently tap it down to Sloane. Do you reckon the Crows might be in for a rude awakening. :think:

What happens if all clubs ruckman can't consistently tap it down to his own mids, just wondering if they will all be in for a rude awakening ?

What do you think will happen if Jacobs can't consistently tap it down to Sloane. Do you reckon the Crows might be in for a rude awakening. :think:

What happens if all clubs ruckman can't consistently tap it down to his own mids, just wondering if they will all be in for a rude awakening ?

We’ll just play to lose the Ruck Tap, then unleash the Crouch Bro’s on you!

Also interesting to note : Every team that’s won so far in JLT Week 2 has not only won the Centre clearances , but Forward Inside 50 entry’s and the Free Kicks count!

It was a fabulously stupid post wasn't it?

Other clever ideas might be if Jack and Tom don't kick through the big sticks then they won't score many goals. Uh - oh Richmond!

Old school fix, you're hard tough inside Midfielders learn to read the tap. happened in several JLT games already. The problem will be with the teams second string inside mids, and how they run the interchange. Again the recent JLT's games highlighted this issue with several teams caught with there best ball readers on the bench at the same time. Allow the opposition to get a run on thru the centre bounce.

We’ll just play to lose the Ruck Tap, then unleash the Crouch Bro’s on you!

Also interesting to note : Every team that’s won so far in JLT Week 2 has not only won the Centre clearances , but Forward Inside 50 entry’s and the Free Kicks count!
I'm expecting mids to crash in just that little bit harder than they were in JLT just quietly.

Depends on what factor dominates, s**t rucks or adding Lynch to the forward line. Riewoldt and Lynch one out against their opponents could be a big win for Tigers if they can manage to win enough centre clearances. Tigers were 15th last year for average centre clearance differential, although differences between teams wasn't large on that stat, and they were 5th for average total centre clearances, suggesting they were ok at getting them, just not very good at stopping their opponent's getting their own.

keep reading tigers will be losers from 6-6-6 but not convinced by the argument
I don't think it will last long. I just dont think hardwick has a grasp on the best tactics for the rule changes, but I'm sure everyone will start copying the team that handles it best early, and start making their own tweaks to it. Maybe 4 or 5 weeks if we're lucky I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back