6-6-6 - winners and losers

Remove this Banner Ad

It's interesting most people are expecting high speed classic power mids to be the big winners out of this change, I can see that but from a North point of view I can see Cunnington having a field day in the centre under these rules. He's already got the ability to simply barge through at least one tackling player and has exceptional vision and creativity with his disposals in close. I can see this making his strengths even more obvious and will allow him to play right in the centre and rest forward even more effectively.

It's pretty obvious when you watch footy critically and look at other teams apart from your own. Similar with Port Adelaide in 2014ish when they were pushing for a premiership, the media and others were convinced it was because of their superior fitness, when it was actually their pressure and contested work. Some parts of Konrad Marshall's book after Tigers 2017 was a real eye-opener to all of this and make it very clear to anyone with half a brain. The best teams will always be those who can out-pressure their opponents, goes for just about every sport. That's why the constant rule changes are annoying and dinosaurs like Blight are out of touch. Pressure will always be the #1 most important thing in footy. GF last year showed us this. The moment WC pressure lifted and they were able to cramp up the game, they started getting on top and wore the Pies down.

Mate theres 2 ways to skin a rat

Personally Id prefer to see at the centre bounce Mark Lee tap the ball to an anticipating moving Geoff Raines - who has 1 possibly 2 bounces and then kicks a 65 metre goal on the run - thats what i call exciting

You can have your swarming pressure - watching some of the recent GFs i often to think to myself what do 1 off spectators ( ie people in the Northern states ) think of the game - probably think its an embarassing miss mash of everything - stands for nothing

Mate theres 2 ways to skin a rat

Personally Id prefer to see at the centre bounce Mark Lee tap the ball to an anticipating moving Geoff Raines - who has 1 possibly 2 bounces and then kicks a 65 metre goal on the run - thats what i call exciting

You can have your swarming pressure - watching some of the recent GFs i often to think to myself what do 1 off spectators ( ie people in the Northern states ) think of the game - probably think its an embarassing miss mash of everything - stands for nothing
A mix of the two is good. Don’t really want it turning into - win centre clearance - create an overlap because your direct opponent is beaten - score goal.. every centre bounce. Exciting to see it so open for forwards and the better defensive teams will still be able to repel attacks but it’s best midfield wins. 2016 West Coast would finish bottom 4 without a doubt.

Centre clearances and than total clearances are two different stats

Dustin Martin led the comp in centre clearances but in terms of total clearances he is ranked 15th

But this thread is about 6-6-6 rulings so centre clearances would be the numbers we are interested in

Would love to know how many each of those players started in the centre square. that will probably paint an even bigger picture..

Guys like Danger, Dusty, Treloar, Yeo etc who can accelerate quickly out of stoppages are the big winners. With no one running off the back of the square those guys could be kicking goals out of the centre bounces regularly I reckon.

Tom Lynch could kick close to a ton as a traditional full forward we saw last night he didn't need much, despite being rusty after not playing in nearly a year and first game at a brand new club with a new gameplan he still snagged 3 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest losers are all the people who listened to the "experts" telling them that 6-6-6 would change the game and open up the play

What a non-event

The AFL love their cosmetic tinkering and horseshit new rules

The worst part is now whenever there is a goal out of the center square, the commentators go on about how its due to the new rules and act like it was impossible to score from a center clearance in the past.

The worst part is now whenever there is a goal out of the center square, the commentators go on about how its due to the new rules and act like it was impossible to score from a center clearance in the past.
and the Runners got in the way of the game

"No more runners!" said the AFL

So now we have colour card/sideline signals and Channel 7 blathering on about it instead of showing the game

Needless to say the clowns in suits at AFL house haven’t had a clue since the 90’s.

A rule that’s in effect for 1% of game time is really going to make a big difference.

It should be noted that the opening 2 games of the season were played on dewy nights where the conditions made the ball hard to handle. lots of fumbling, dropped marks and bad skill errors. last night we thought it was just carlton but it was just as prevalent with collingwood and geelong.

The only difference I can see so far is when the ball gets banged in quick from the centre bounce tap into the F50, there’s usually a pack mark situation with 12 players around the ball if it comes off hands and goes to ground.

Defenders have to scramble fast while under pressure with more opposition players around them.

Meanwhile...down the opposite end everyone instantly moves up the ground and out of the 50 like before so there’s really not much difference.

A pointless rule change really.

The only difference I can see so far is when the ball gets banged in quick from the centre bounce tap into the F50, there’s usually a pack mark situation with 12 players around the ball if it comes off hands and goes to ground.

Defenders have to scramble fast while under pressure with more opposition players around them.

Meanwhile...down the opposite end everyone instantly moves up the ground and out of the 50 like before so there’s really not much difference.

A pointless rule change really.

I wouldn't put it past the AFL to use the 6-6-6 rule to try an introduce zones without calling them zones by extending the time the 6-6-6 has to remain.

It should be noted that the opening 2 games of the season were played on dewy nights where the conditions made the ball hard to handle. lots of fumbling, dropped marks and bad skill errors. last night we thought it was just carlton but it was just as prevalent with collingwood and geelong.

Tonight’s skills were far better than last nights game.

Tigers just got dragged down to blues level of pretty ordinary.
I wouldn't put it past the AFL to use the 6-6-6 rule to try an introduce zones without calling them zones by extending the time the 6-6-6 has to remain.

Yep sounds like a fantastic idea to me.

All we need is little flag men with stop watches in hand, stationed in line with the 50 arc to keep an eye on any transgressions like those soccer games that go on.

Or maybe sensors on the 50 arc line that set off an ear piercing siren to alert the umpires that someone put a toe nail over the line.

The possibilities are endless.

The more rules added the better the game gets. It’s all just so very exciting.

Tonight’s skills were far better than last nights game.

Tigers just got dragged down to blues level of pretty ordinary.

Yep sounds like a fantastic idea to me.

All we need is little flag men with stop watches in hand, stationed in line with the 50 arc to keep an eye on any transgressions like those soccer games that go on.

Or maybe sensors on the 50 arc line that set off an ear piercing siren to alert the umpires that someone put a toe nail over the line.

The possibilities are endless.

The more rules added the better the game gets. It’s all just so very exciting.

LOL the AFL just love doing it while refusing to admit its mistakes.

I must admit I've enjoyed the openness we are seeing from the centre bounces.

But as has been pointed out this only lasts for really one passage of play as everyone moves to the positions the coaches want them to take up.

I would love to see the game revert to being a bit more structured, but the players are just too fit and the horse has bolted. Setting permanent zones, or even extending the 6-6-6 period would lead to farcical situations where players couldn't cross the arcs to get a ball a few metres on the other side, potentially be very difficult to police, and would really be quite anathema to the great full ground, athletic qualities our game presents.

I've said for some time now the best way to get a bit more structure in the game is to tire the players so they can't cover as much ground. The best way to do this is reduce the number of interchanges. IMO it should be reduced by 10 per year, until we end up at around a 40 or 50 per game limit, with 4 additional at each break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back