6-6-6 - winners and losers

Remove this Banner Ad

I must admit I've enjoyed the openness we are seeing from the centre bounces.

But as has been pointed out this only lasts for really one passage of play as everyone moves to the positions the coaches want them to take up.

I would love to see the game revert to being a bit more structured, but the players are just too fit and the horse has bolted. Setting permanent zones, or even extending the 6-6-6 period would lead to farcical situations where players couldn't cross the arcs to get a ball a few metres on the other side, potentially be very difficult to police, and would really be quite anathema to the great full ground, athletic qualities our game presents.

I've said for some time now the best way to get a bit more structure in the game is to tire the players so they can't cover as much ground. The best way to do this is reduce the number of interchanges. IMO it should be reduced by 10 per year, until we end up at around a 40 or 50 per game limit, with 4 additional at each break.

The game has got uglier (apparently) since interchanges caps were introduced. And this latest batch of rules has done squat

I must admit I've enjoyed the openness we are seeing from the centre bounces.

But as has been pointed out this only lasts for really one passage of play as everyone moves to the positions the coaches want them to take up.

I would love to see the game revert to being a bit more structured, but the players are just too fit and the horse has bolted. Setting permanent zones, or even extending the 6-6-6 period would lead to farcical situations where players couldn't cross the arcs to get a ball a few metres on the other side, potentially be very difficult to police, and would really be quite anathema to the great full ground, athletic qualities our game presents.

I've said for some time now the best way to get a bit more structure in the game is to tire the players so they can't cover as much ground. The best way to do this is reduce the number of interchanges. IMO it should be reduced by 10 per year, until we end up at around a 40 or 50 per game limit, with 4 additional at each break.

Couldn't agree more. If you know as a forward you won't get to come off an rest you won't be sprinting up an down the ground all the game.

It's the only way IMO. Plus with only 10 per quarter then no big deal if you get an injury

Commentators are trying really hard to talk this rule up, but it's having no effect whatsoever. For no benefit, the AFL has made an already complicated set of rules even more complicated.

It clearly does have an effect, just for relatively short periods of time. When players get a clean clearance from a centre 50 after a goal there is clearly far far more space for them and the forwards to work into

The next evolution will be to have 2 or 3 players in the forward 50 for the entire game. This is just the first step to get clubs and more importantly the public used to set positioning.

666 is having an impact but for a very small part of the game.

I personally think the runner rule is having a bigger impact. Last night highlighted hiw Geelong with strong leadership organized their rotations and tactics well late in the game. Collingwood were a shambles. Possibly cost them in an close game.

I personally like the onus being on the leadership group and players to organize themselves and work with the bench.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The next evolution will be to have 2 or 3 players in the forward 50 for the entire game. This is just the first step to get clubs and more importantly the public used to set positioning.

666 is having an impact but for a very small part of the game.

I personally think the runner rule is having a bigger impact. Last night highlighted hiw Geelong with strong leadership organized their rotations and tactics well late in the game. Collingwood were a shambles. Possibly cost them in an close game.

I personally like the onus being on the leadership group and players to organize themselves and work with the bench.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Because 90 is still an incredibly high number of interchanges per game.

Bullshit rule changes fail. The answer is more bullshit rule changes? When do we ask if we are fundamentally approaching it wrong?

Last edited:
The only difference I can see so far is when the ball gets banged in quick from the centre bounce tap into the F50, there’s usually a pack mark situation with 12 players around the ball if it comes off hands and goes to ground.

Defenders have to scramble fast while under pressure with more opposition players around them.

Meanwhile...down the opposite end everyone instantly moves up the ground and out of the 50 like before so there’s really not much difference.

A pointless rule change really.

You saw exactly that last night. In the past, with fwds starting high up or at the wing, the fwd line was more open and it was easier to score.
With the new rules the fwd 50 has 12 players in there when the ball enters from the ball up. I lost count the amount of times 4+ players went for the same mark only for it to spill and then spend the next 30sec pinballing its way out of the 50 or through for a shitty point.
There’s occasions that quick goals are kicked from the centre bounce but last night it took until the start of the last quarter for it to happen and the commentators creamed themselves over it stating how good the rule changers are.
Too many *******s in head office changing the game we love when it should be left to evolve as it has for the last 150 yrs

You saw exactly that last night. In the past, with fwds starting high up or at the wing, the fwd line was more open and it was easier to score.
With the new rules the fwd 50 has 12 players in there when the ball enters from the ball up. I lost count the amount of times 4+ players went for the same mark only for it to spill and then spend the next 30sec pinballing its way out of the 50 or through for a shitty point.
There’s occasions that quick goals are kicked from the centre bounce but last night it took until the start of the last quarter for it to happen and the commentators creamed themselves over it stating how good the rule changers are.
Too many *******s in head office changing the game we love when it should be left to evolve as it has for the last 150 yrs

Wtf are you talking sbout.

Last year still had 12 ******* players in the 50s it was just 7 defenders 5 forwards which made it even harder to score.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said in another thread that it would be an extremely risky career move for a fringe 22 player to pretend he doesn't realise it's his turn to go off and deny the coach a chance to bring on a star player late in the last quarter during a cliffhanger. That's seemingly what happened with Treloar last night - I can't imagine it was Beams, Pendles or Sidebottom whom Bucks would've wanted off with the game on the line.

The suggestion was reducing by 10 every year. That’s basically what happened
It's a start but with some way to go.

Not sure what else they can do to reduce the congestion without vastly changing the nature of the play, i.e. permanent zones which would be a terrible look for the game.

Not sure what else they can do to reduce the congestion without vastly changing the nature of the play, i.e. permanent zones which would be a terrible look for the game.

Reduce on field numbers. The traditionalist hate it but the alternative they are using is death by a thousand cuts

Btw I don’t agree the game is bad. We just had the 2 worst games of the round presented as prime product

The grand final was excellent

Reduce on field numbers. The traditionalist hate it but the alternative they are using is death by a thousand cuts

Btw I don’t agree the game is bad. We just had the 2 worst games of the round presented as prime product

The grand final was excellent
I agree. Just take four spuds off the ground and there are four fewer players to hang around a pack.

Reduce it to 16 per team on the ground, move those players to the bench but continue to lower the cap on rotations as well. Zones in general play on such a large playing surface is unworkable anyway and yes would look horrid.

Reduce on field numbers.
Have seen it proposed a fair bit and I wouldn't be opposed to this. But it's quite a change. Much bigger than changing the interchange system.
Btw I don’t agree the game is bad.
Agreed, the game is not bad.

But I haven't found the last decade aesthetically pleasing as the late 90's and early 2000's when it had a great balance of athleticism, skills and physicality. Still, it's a great sport to watch but has become a bit more of a grinding affair since the mid 2000's as the fitness levels of players has exploded and tactics evolved with that.

Have seen it proposed a fair bit and I wouldn't be opposed to this. But it's quite a change. Much bigger than changing the interchange system.

Agreed, the game is not bad.

But I haven't found the last decade aesthetically pleasing as the late 90's and early 2000's when it had a great balance of athleticism, skills and physicality. Still, it's a great sport to watch but has become a bit more of a grinding affair since the mid 2000's as the fitness levels of players has exploded and tactics evolved with that.

The interchange reduction proponents say the game will be better as players tire. At the end of quarters and end of the game.
Reducing the numbers would have that effect for the entire game.
Having said that, I’d suggest implementing it in a different way. Having a huge committee of ‘names’ is a poor substitute for trialling something properly.
I’d suggest the comittee we got last year was simply a mechanism to silence any dissent to the regime

Wtf are you talking sbout.

Last year still had 12 ******* players in the 50s it was just 7 defenders 5 forwards which made it even harder to score.

Settle down Football Noob. Why do you think they brought the rules in ? It wasn’t to stop more players inside fwd 50 lol. It was to stop fwds playing outside the 50 causing more numbers around the ball between the 50 arcs.
The percentage of inside 50’s previously would’ve had 5 fwds, 6 Def max and that was of the oppo coach was playing a loose.
No decent coach wants more players inside fwd 50 because guess what... it makes it harder to score.

Settle down Football Noob. Why do you think they brought the rules in ? It wasn’t to stop more players inside fwd 50 lol. It was to stop fwds playing outside the 50 causing more numbers around the ball between the 50 arcs.
The percentage of inside 50’s previously would’ve had 5 fwds, 6 Def max and that was of the oppo coach was playing a loose.
No decent coach wants more players inside fwd 50 because guess what... it makes it harder to score.

An yet teams would win clearances an kick it long to a 5 on 3 contest inside their 50 which was near impossible to score from.
Now you've got equal opportunity to score and you can't dump all your numbers behind the footy when you do score meaning your priority at the centre bounce has to be to go forward

Already there’s evidence a winger goes back and a forward runs back to the wing. Meaning running players are more in vogue 3 wingers and one on the bench (smith, scully, Henderson, Morrison, Nash for us
If I’m playing Etihad with no wind, I’m putting a smith or sucking type in the center who can nail goals or points from inside the square. Just sail ove the 12 players in the arc.
If it’s a point, aim to lock it in. The defenders get the big rooster to take the kick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back