Remove this Banner Ad

MONFRIES%20Angus.png

Height: 185 cm

Weight: 80 kg

Date of Birth: 19th January 1987

Nickname: Gus

Twitter Handle: AngusMonfries

Position: Forward

Recruited From: Essendon (2012 Trade Period, Angus Monfries in exchange for Pick #48)

Other AFL Clubs: Essendon (2005-2012, 150 games, 165 goals)

Career Games (to end of 2015): 210 (90 wins, 3 draws, 117 losses)

Career Goals (to end of 2015): 248

For more career stats click here.

Honours:
  • 2010 EFC Leading Goalkicker (24)
  • 2011 International Rules Series
More info on Angus Monfries:
Angus is a player who never really got going in 2015. He started the season under provisional suspension from the ASADA drugs investigation and always seemed to be chasing his tail from that point forward. He kicked just 23 goals from his 19 games, albeit seeming to play a more defensive role at times, often higher up the ground than he had previously been positioned at Port. Ultimately, he was dropped twice late in the season which was a fair reflection on his season as a whole. Complicating matters for Angus are the WADA appeal to the CAS still ongoing and the fact that he is entering the final year of his contract. A fit and firing Monfries is still an important part of our forward line but he will need to fight hard to cement his spot in the team throughout 2016.

Highlight Reel:

Last edited:
Gus focusing on the job at hand...

Link

Gus getting on with the job

Monfries_2012_246_246X316.jpg

PORT Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley has moved to shield ex-Bomber Angus Monfries from the spotlight turned his way thanks to the explosive revelations of alleged doping at his former club.

Monfries, who was best on ground in Port Adelaide's hit-out against its SANFL counterpart on Friday, has remained tight-lipped about his final year at Essendon. He is likely to be interviewed by the AFL and the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority as part of the joint investigation into the Dons' possible use of banned supplements.

The Power said Monfries would co-operate fully with the investigation.

Link

Monfries will miss a couple of weeks with a low grade hammy injury.

Link

Monfries strains hamstring in mini-Showdown loss

275844-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

PORT Adelaide's loss to arch rival Adelaide has been worsened by a hamstring injury to star recruit Angus Monfries.

Monfries appeared to get through the final match of the day in good health, but coach Ken Hinkley conceded the 26-year-old would miss at least next week's clash against Melbourne in Renmark.

The former Bomber impressed in against the Crows, collecting an equal-high 11 disposals and a goal, having kicked another goal against St Kilda earlier in the day.

Hinkley played down the injury, but conceded it would sideline Monfries.

Link

Originally posted by Stormageddon

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-07/i-had-stagnated-monfries
280554-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

PIGEONHOLED as a small forward at Essendon, Angus Monfries admits his career began to "stagnate" after eight seasons and 150 games at Windy Hill.

Monfries was handed a license to roam over the summer by Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley, having crossed to Alberton during last October's trade period.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-07/i-had-stagnated-monfries

We're well on our way to developing a Sydney-like reputation for recycled players.

Originally posted by Macca19

15th. – 41 Votes

#6 ANGUS MONFRIES

391273.jpg

SANFL Stats:

Games: 1

Disposals: 26

Marks: 7

Goals: 4

VOTES:

BigFooty: 41 (15th)

Port: 106 (12th)

Toots: 121 (2nd)

AFL Stats:
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/A/Angus_Monfries.html

Notes:
Review by TeeKray
Angus is a player who never really got going in 2015. He started the season under provisional suspension from the ASADA drugs investigation and always seemed to be chasing his tail from that point forward. He kicked just 23 goals from his 19 games, albeit seeming to play a more defensive role at times, often higher up the ground than he had previously been positioned at Port. Ultimately, he was dropped twice late in the season which was a fair reflection on his season as a whole. Complicating matters for Angus are the WADA appeal to the CAS still ongoing and the fact that he is entering the final year of his contract. A fit and firing Monfries is still an important part of our forward line but he will need to fight hard to cement his spot in the team throughout 2016.

CAS verdict:

Current and former Essendon players have been found guilty of doping offences and will miss the entire 2016 season after the Court of Arbitration for Sport upheld the World Anti-Doping Agency appeal.

While the players were handed the mandatory two-year bans and were found to be significantly at fault, CAS indicated that most of the 34 would be suspended until November 13 this year.

Barring a successful legal challenge, Port Adelaide will be without their ex-Bombers Paddy Ryder and Angus Monfries for the relevant period.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...eason-2016-20160107-gm18nq.html#ixzz3wyRVCj2l

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/afl/news/2016/5/angus-monfries-may-not-return-to-afl/

Port Adelaide forward Angus Monfries
may not return to AFL football next year, with Jay Clark revealing he does not have a contract in front of him.

Speaking on the Sunday Rub, Clark said Monfries, who will be 30 next season, was the only member of the banned Essendon players not to have a contract in front of them.

"Angus Monfries is the one bloke whose future is uncertain next year," said Clark. "He has not got a contract offer from Port Adelaide.

"He is in limbo...he doesn't know whether he's required at the football club next year.

"He is training largely by himself, I'm told."

Monfries has played 60 games for Port Adelaide, kicking 83 goals.

"I think he's a very good player, and I think he's been sorely missed," said Wayne Carey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/afl/news/2016/5/angus-monfries-may-not-return-to-afl/

may not return to AFL football next year, with Jay Clark revealing he does not have a contract in front of him.

Speaking on the Sunday Rub, Clark said Monfries, who will be 30 next season, was the only member of the banned Essendon players not to have a contract in front of them.

"Angus Monfries is the one bloke whose future is uncertain next year," said Clark. "He has not got a contract offer from Port Adelaide.

"He is in limbo...he doesn't know whether he's required at the football club next year.

"I think he's a very good player, and I think he's been sorely missed," said Wayne Carey.
I'd take him back at Essendon

"Angus Monfries is the one bloke whose future is uncertain next year," said Clark. "He has not got a contract offer from
Port Adelaide.

I feel for Gus because I really respect what he's done for the club over his time here but he'll be 30 next season having missed 12 months of footy and was dropped twice the season before. He can start training with the boys again in September I think. It would be a good call holding off until then before considering whether we offer him a spot next year.

I feel for Gus because I really respect what he's done for the club over his time here but he'll be 30 next season having missed 12 months of footy and was dropped twice the season before. He can start training with the boys again in September I think. It would be a good call holding off until then before considering whether we offer him a spot next year.
I think we would always have planned for him to be finishing around now, or otherwise dropping to year by year on much reduced money. Would be good if we could just give him a year extra for face-saving reasons, just at spending-money level. Just as thanks for Showdown XXXIV and the J-curve coal.
However in the end he was principally a Bombers' player, eight years there. Three for us (not counting this year).

wow that is a lot of lines saying the same thing

angus monfries is uncontracted
he doesn't have a contract for next year
he doesn't know if the club will give him one
he isn't training with the club he's banned from training with
wayne carrey with the brainbuster: "he's been missed"

Long and short of it. No, we still dont really have anyone that could just slot in the 22 and have the consistency to stay there to fully replace him.

Long and short of it. No, we still dont really have anyone that could just slot in the 22 and have the consistency to stay there to fully replace him.

Err ... I'm not necessarily saying I'd cut Gus, but we have slotted Aaron Young into his spot in the 22 and he has had the consistency to replace him.

Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley indicates banned former Bomber Angus Monfries will be back at Alberton next year.

Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley has given the strongest indication yet that banned forward Angus Monfries will be offered a new contract for next season.

“Gus is really well informed of where we’re at and he’s got no problems with where the situation is at,’’ Hinkley said.

“I think he’s pretty comfortable because we like to look after good people and Gus Monfries is, in my view, an outstanding person and we’ll be doing what we can to help him out.

“At the end of the year all those things will be taken care of.’’

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/po...r/news-story/f3a8d92b5bce49ba325b303bf81f150c

Monfries will be back for the Power, says Hinkley

There has been speculation that Port Adelaide would not offer Monfries a deal for next year but Hinkley told RSN the 29-year-old would be with the club for at least another season. "There would have to be something significantly different to what I know today for that not to be the case," the Port coach said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-16/monfries-will-be-back-for-the-power-says-hinkley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back