Player Watch #6: George Wardlaw - two-time RS nominee ('23 &'24) - the Warlord - managed vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheezel did some amazing things. Wondering if this is a case of wardlaw being the shiny new thing or sheezel actually dropping off a bit. The 2 goal misses have hurt him... but he's been playing mid more and with aplomb. Some of he's efforts on against * were amazing.

I just wish we had won so I can enjoy the replay more

We already had the pick to take sheeza, the deal resulted in GW and next years port 1st rounder.
If we had taken Sheezel with one, where were we getting the pick to take Wardlaw from? Not Poort they didn’t have it. We swapped one to enable us to get Wardlaw and Sheezel.

So the deal was as I said it was

One thing that hasn’t been touched on is his ability to regain his feet…it happened a few times on the weekend and in the Sydney game.

He gets knocked off balance, slides on one knee (or gets completely knocked over) and then has this ability to pop back up again, seemingly in one motion and already moving at 80% of his top speed.

His ability to recover when off balance is absolutely ridiculous and one of the reasons he can have multiple efforts at the coal face.

If we had taken Sheezel with one, where were we getting the pick to take Wardlaw from? Not Poort they didn’t have it. We swapped one to enable us to get Wardlaw and Sheezel.

So the deal was as I said it was
not disputing how the deal went down but it remains we were taking sheeza with our first pick regardless so the posturing was never going to affect that so in effect the net gain of corn francis leaving didnt include sheezel.

Last edited:
One thing that hasn’t been touched on is his ability to regain his feet…it happened a few times on the weekend and in the Sydney game.

He gets knocked off balance, slides on one knee (or gets completely knocked over) and then has this ability to pop back up again, seemingly in one motion and already moving at 80% of his top speed.

His ability to recover when off balance is absolutely ridiculous and one of the reasons he can have multiple efforts at the coal face.
Great point. He bounces up so quick that you barely notice it.

An additional point, he is already bursting through and breaking tackles from experienced opposition mids. Astonishing strength from a first year. Massive quads and core strength.

Great point. He bounces up so quick that you barely notice it.

An additional point, he is already bursting through and breaking tackles from experienced opposition mids. Astonishing strength from a first year. Massive quads and core strength.
Yep, the quads. Idiots in the media haven't cottoned on to that yet. They are marvelling at how this skinny kid can do what he's doing.

not disputing how the deal went down but it remains we were taking sheeza with our first pick regardless so the posturing was never going to affect that so in effect the net gain didnt include sheezel.
We wanted both so to achieve that we swapped pick 1 and JHFF for picks 2 and 3. They became 3 & 4 after the Bears took Ashcroft.

So the records show that is the deal. As we didn’t swap JHFF for pick 4 and a future first.
If we had I wouldn’t have mentioned Sheezel in the deal.
GWS could have taken Sheezel as they picked before us.

I realise we would have taken him with one, bit that wasn’t the trade was it ?

Regardless of who it was, that piece of play by Tommy was my play of the day.

A lot of players in the league would have flinched knowing Draper was coming the other way, but Tommy made up his mind the ball was his and didn’t deviate one bit.
Yeah I loved that.

I've done exactly the same thing myself a few times playing bush footy. (I'm closer to Spicer/WiPhi's size than Tommy tho.) Its a rush and one of the best feelings when you do it. Its a bit different against (usually) fat, slower blokes in lower leagues tho. Play of the day as far as I'm concerned and there were a few to choose from.

Did I read here that his testing is off the charts for a particular metric? Can't remember what it was for though.

Edit:

Found it - what does power mean here?
Its probably work done over time. The basic physics def.

So the amount of energy transferred over time.

You test it by doing something like measuring a maximal quad contraction and the time it takes for you to exert the force you needed for that contraction. SO it measures how much force you deliver with the 'kick' and the speed it takes.

That's just a guess tho. Maybe Kangaroos techno would have a better idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, the quads. Idiots in the media haven't cottoned on to that yet. They are marvelling at how this skinny kid can do what he's doing.
He's not skinny. He's built like a brick shithouse. Huge quads tho so the rest of him looks small in comparison.

Wardlaw looks good. Like, really good.
Larry David Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

A girl breaks up with you and following this you talk about her endlessly and compare her at every opportunity to your new GF…

Talk about how perfect your new girl is and enjoy her. Forget about the ex.

We’re lucky to have George. It should start and end there. The rest of the discussion is futile and seeking an answer to a question that won’t be known for 5 years anyway.
Your girl friend is hot, I mean super hot, but she's not in the her right head space. You know she'll soon grow up so you support her and nurture her while she declares her undivided love to you. She even does that real sexy thing where she sleeps in one of your shirts. And then, just when your about to commit to a long term relationship, she ups and leaves to be with the guy who you've always hated. No, "lets give this a go, lets work through our issues", she just ups and leaves. And the guy she runs to? You know, the guy who big notes himself all the time when in fact he's just a little s**t. Your GF then goes out and disses you to anyone who will listen, blaming you for her unhappiness. Her new gay best mate is even piling the s**t on you.

You hook up with someone even better so you're happy as Larry, but you still don't mind letting everyone know that the bitch really is a bitch, and not that good in the sack.

We wanted both so to achieve that we swapped pick 1 and JHFF for picks 2 and 3. They became 3 & 4 after the Bears took Ashcroft.

So the records show that is the deal. As we didn’t swap JHFF for pick 4 and a future first.
If we had I wouldn’t have mentioned Sheezel in the deal.
GWS could have taken Sheezel as they picked before us.

I realise we would have taken him with one, bit that wasn’t the trade was it ?
And thats the crux of the deal right there, Giants were never taking sheezel. To say they could have is wrong as the pick swap would never had occurred if the assurance wasn't given. They were taking Cadman. so yes the deal did get signed off precisely as you stated but the point is in isolation the currency we used for pick 2 ( or 3 if you want to count the ashcroft bid) to take sheezel was the pick 1 we received for finishing bottom.

i also suspect that if West coast never came to the party and downgraded that early pick Giants wouldn't have came to the party as there would have been a risk that they still wouldnt get their man with pick 4. many pundits likely woudltn have rated Ginbey either who looks to be a ripper as well, in a redraft he could have been rated top 4 or 5 depending on how you rate the bear ( humphrey) .

anyway its moot and for all intensive purposed. prolly the biggest sliding door moment is Wardlaw likely may have gone to essendon in an open draft without the corn francis trade. regardless the hole top end of the 22 draft is beginning to look like a superdraft early. iam still thinking brayden george will be a ripper as well.

Your girl friend is hot, I mean super hot, but she's not in the her right head space. You know she'll soon grow up so you support her and nurture her while she declares her undivided love to you. She even does that real sexy thing where she sleeps in one of your shirts. And then, just when your about to commit to a long term relationship, she ups and leaves to be with the guy who you've always hated. No, "lets give this a go, lets work through our issues", she just ups and leaves. And the guy she runs to? You know, the guy who big notes himself all the time when in fact he's just a little s**t. Your GF then goes out and disses you to anyone who will listen, blaming you for her unhappiness. Her new gay best mate is even piling the s**t on you.

You hook up with someone even better so you're happy as Larry, but you still don't mind letting everyone know that the bitch really is a bitch, and not that good in the sack.
I'm right there with ya buddy.

This is the story of my past marriage and subsequent divorce in a nutshell. 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back