#6 Luke Jackson - Going west (life is peaceful there)

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves. Go back & read the optimism regarding our 2008 & 2009 draft picks.
Screw that. if we don't end up with a dynasty with the list we've built the club and everyone in it can * right off.

Just being realistic IMO.

Screw that. if we don't end up with a dynasty with the list we've built the club and everyone in it can fu** right off.

Just being realistic IMO.
If we don’t make a grand final with this list by say 2025 and win a flag before say Oliver and Weideman retire god help us because it’s going to take some pain building back up to even here which apparently wasn’t enough.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Gotta say I really like Jackson's face too :)

Cheeky grin & wholesome moustache.
Would love to smash a few pints with him.
I agree initially thought he was going to be just another shy skinny kid. Instead quite the opposite, he grew changed his hairstyle, grew a moustache, he looks like he's a bit of a smart arse in a good way, and also looks like he has a bit of arrogance which us also good. (I would too if I had that athleticism)

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm definitely keeping my expectations in check when I say that our 19/20 draft haul will easily eclipse the Cats' picks of 1999 and 2001
These are the outlandish statements needed around here when it comes to goat goatson and friends (riv and kosi)

It’s very promising that he has been able to change his body shape so quickly. We’ve seen guys struggle for years to do what he has done over the pre season.

Agree, he was always pretty big for a kid though so hoped he would be able to put on some size semi-quickly.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Although Gawn has a few years in him yet, Jackson will ultimately be a ruckman. Developing under Gawn will be a huge advantage as well. Ruck craft and work ethic are things he’ll get benefit from.

Although Gawn has a few years in him yet, Jackson will ultimately be a ruckman. Developing under Gawn will be a huge advantage as well. Ruck craft and work ethic are things he’ll get benefit from.
Think it’s easier to find a serviceable ruckman than a KPF of the quality Jackson might be. Would prefer that Bradtke comes on or we could building our young ruck stocks and keep Jackson forward (or on a wing)

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Think it’s easier to find a serviceable ruckman than a KPF of the quality Jackson might be. Would prefer that Bradtke comes on or we could building our young ruck stocks and keep Jackson forward (or on a wing)
It depends, winning the hit outs doesn't mean a * of a thing. But if he plays as an extra mid then he will be way more valuable around the ground than as a forward.

It depends, winning the hit outs doesn't mean a fu** of a thing. But if he plays as an extra mid then he will be way more valuable around the ground than as a forward.
Yeah that’s true. Depends on what our forward stocks look like too guess (if Weid, Petty, Rosman come on). Wouldn’t mind seeing Gawn moved forward if it extends his career, but I guess he’s actually older than Ben Brown.

Meds

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It depends, winning the hit-outs doesn't mean a fu** of a thing. But if he plays as an extra mid then he will be way more valuable around the ground than as a forward.
This is true. Jackson has the potential to be a five-tools guy (yes, I watched Moneyball recently). As good as Gawny is, he can't join the mids in a run and carry game, and he doesn't win that many clerances. Even as a key forward he's let down by his kicking.

Jackson could make meaningful contributions in all 5 of these categories, and we'd be all the better for it.
Hit-outs
Clearances
Link up play
Intercept mark
Key forward

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah that’s true. Depends on what our forward stocks look like too guess (if Weid, Petty, Rosman come on). Wouldn’t mind seeing Gawn moved forward if it extends his career, but I guess he’s actually older than Ben Brown.

I have seen Rosman as a forward mentioned a few times. Is that where people see them trying to develop him?

I saw them trying to develop him to do some Langdon style gut running on the opposite wing with a bit of extra get out of jail marking ability.

I have seen Rosman as a forward mentioned a few times. Is that where people see them trying to develop him?

I saw them trying to develop him to do some Langdon style gut running on the opposite wing with a bit of extra get out of jail marking ability.
He seems to be a 'could be anything' type due to his size, fitness, athleticism etc.

So he'll be rotating through as an inside mid by round 9.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I know we like to joke about all our players being inside mids. But Jackson as a ruck will basically be another inside mid. I can see a time when he lines up in the middle with Gawn. Then Gawn floats back or forward with Jackson taking over as ruck. Of course this wouldn’t be all game.

I know we like to joke about all our players being inside mids. But Jackson as a ruck will basically be another inside mid. I can see a time when he lines up in the middle with Gawn. Then Gawn floats back or forward with Jackson taking over as ruck. Of course this wouldn’t be all game.
* with the oppo. Put them both in the middle and Jackson takes the bounce

To be honest would be great to finally be back at the mcg to watch him, or any player really.
Here’s a statwatch - most matches for the club without playing at the MCG. Jackson and Rivers to watch.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hopefully he can play full forward for the first 8 weeks. Not sure when brown or the weed will be back, and have heard Tom Mac has sustained a really bad cork on the weekend, which has caused a blood clot or similar.

Might be more details today.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hopefully he can play full forward for the first 8 weeks. Not sure when brown or the weed will be back, and have heard Tom Mac has sustained a really bad cork on the weekend, which has caused a blood clot or similar.

Might be more details today.
More details to hand.

My mate has got this wrong, and grimesy has let him know in no uncertain terms that's not acceptable. Tom is fit as a fiddle.

Apologies, fellow dees.

Back