Past Jackson Thurlow - delisted 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

rsRxzpgO.jpg

Jackson Thurlow

Player Profile

The Sydney Swans traded Jackson Thurlow from the Geelong Cats ahead of season 2019 and the Tasmanian has since shown promising signs, impressing with his intercept-marking and one-on-one defending. The fleet-footed backman played eight of the first 10 AFL games of the 2019 season but added just one more appearance over the remainder of the campaign, so he’s hungry to cement a spot in Sydney’s best team in 2020. The 2019 retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith has freed up room in the backline as names like Thurlow, Colin O’Riordan and Ryley Stoddart push for more games at the top level. Draft history: 2012 AFL National Draft selection (Geelong), No. 16 overall.

Jackson Thurlow

DOB: 28 March 1994
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2012
RECRUITED FROM: Launceston (Tas)/Geelong

Last edited:
His knee history and ability to get on the park to me makes the pickup somewhat iffy. We should not be bringing in players whose bodies are not getting them through seasons

He hasn't cost us much, and I imagine he'd be fairly cheap.

He hasn't cost us much, and I imagine he'd be fairly cheap.
Yep, I get that...its just my thinking given the amount of crook bodies we already have.

Can't see him being best 22, at least not straight away. He is depth at this point imo.
Towers is gone so let's clear one thing up.

That Richmond game. Look at it again. Towerskicked long. Tippo went up and was taken high blatantly- ignored by umpire. Should have been game over.

Annoys me that Towers was crucified due to official cheat in Melbourne.

Towers is gone so let's clear one thing up.

That Richmond game. Look at it again. Towerskicked long. Tippo went up and was taken high blatantly- ignored by umpire. Should have been game over.

Annoys me that Towers was crucified due to official cheat in Melbourne.

IIRC Tom "Golden Boy" Mitchell also just stood there instead of attacking the ball (Which forced Tippett to go up anyway).

A lot of clubs paying overs for ex-high draft picks with dodgy bodies. We've done well.

2012 Pick 16
2013 17 possessions, five marks and three tackles in his AFL debut. Played 4 games
2014 Lacerated kidney Played 6 games
2015 Rising star nomination. Played 19 games
2016 ACL Knee reco.
2017 10 games
2018 7 games
2019 A few more games and a good run with injuries could see a big payoff for a small investment.

Edit : Plus he's Tasmanian. No going home to Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been watching Thurlow since his debut, Had a bullet kick since day dot and a decent set of wheels. Got a lot of continuity early on and looked to be building into a pretty decent player. My only knock on him was he never seemed to have great awareness- he'd hit a target if he saw it but he often didnt, often got intercepted etc etc, and that looked like it was improving when he did his knee. Since coming back he has stayed healthy, but it seems like his kicking has gone down a peg since the knee and he still has the awareness issues.... which is why i suspect Geelong has let him go. Maybe he will go better in the Sydney system, I hope he can be a good player for you guys( so long as he spuds it up playing us!)

His knee history and ability to get on the park to me makes the pickup somewhat iffy. We should not be bringing in players whose bodies are not getting them through seasons

His knee is fine now, hasn’t missed many games with injury apart from when he recod the knee.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-10-22/thurlows-road-to-sydney

The first few paragraphs amused me.

"When the Sydney Swans decided to target Jackson Thurlow in the recent trade period, list boss Kinnear Beatson didn’t have to work too hard to find him – he simply had to check through his files. Thurlow’s mobile phone number had not changed since his draft year of 2012.

And while a once-only mobile phone number won’t help him become a better player, it is a little something that didn’t go unnoticed by a club that rates character so highly.

“It’s not a big thing but it just tells you he’s a really solid, stable person with nothing to hide,” Beatson, who had always been a fan of the 190-centimetre 24-year-old from Launceston, said."

I love when people open by saying something isn't a big deal and then go on to extrapolate something big from it. Jackson Thurlow having the same mobile number now (at 24 yo) as he did when he was 18 is something notable about his character apparently. Classic over-analysis of a meaningless piece of information to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back