Past Jackson Thurlow - delisted 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

rsRxzpgO.jpg

Jackson Thurlow

Player Profile

The Sydney Swans traded Jackson Thurlow from the Geelong Cats ahead of season 2019 and the Tasmanian has since shown promising signs, impressing with his intercept-marking and one-on-one defending. The fleet-footed backman played eight of the first 10 AFL games of the 2019 season but added just one more appearance over the remainder of the campaign, so he’s hungry to cement a spot in Sydney’s best team in 2020. The 2019 retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith has freed up room in the backline as names like Thurlow, Colin O’Riordan and Ryley Stoddart push for more games at the top level. Draft history: 2012 AFL National Draft selection (Geelong), No. 16 overall.

Jackson Thurlow

DOB: 28 March 1994
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2012
RECRUITED FROM: Launceston (Tas)/Geelong

Last edited:
I know basically nothing about him so would be good to see how others rate him and what sort of potential he has.

He was a good long kick before he had a knee reco. Unfortunately he seems to have lost a lot of confidence onfield ever since. I hope the change of scenery and culture does him good, because he did have some talent.

He was a good long kick before he had a knee reco. Unfortunately he seems to have lost a lot of confidence onfield ever since. I hope the change of scenery and culture does him good, because he did have some talent.

Did or does have some talent?

Well, hopefully it's 'does'. He's left Geelong before we saw any light at the end of the tunnel, so maybe, hopefully Sydney life might fire his motor up again.

We have a good track record with getting the best out of players by giving them full confidence.

I kept an eye on him at the ground today. I didn't pick up on any mistakes really. Just a moment where he should have moved the ball on quicker and nearly got caught, but other than that I was quite happy with him. Deserves to hold his spot for now. My only question is can he do that consistently? Time will tell.

I kept an eye on him at the ground today. I didn't pick up on any mistakes really. Just a moment where he should have moved the ball on quicker and nearly got caught, but other than that I was quite happy with him. Deserves to hold his spot for now. My only question is can he do that consistently? Time will tell.
As opposed to the others that wanted to hold onto the pill forever? God we were shocking in that regard sometimes!

Didn't really notice him too much, but guess that can be a good thing for a defender. Serviceable without being remarkable, should maintain his spot, has a decent base to build on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was watching for him. Solid game, a few good kicks out of the backline.

I really thought he was on his way to solidifying his place in the team last year when he played a long stretch in seniors - like 10 games I believe. He wasn't setting the world on fire by any means but for about 2 months he was averaging 16 touches a game and was routinely putting his body on the line in marking contests and on the ground. He was making skill errors and defensive errors though and I guess that's what was his downfall, but I was starting to think the coaches were gonna try to mould him into a Marty Mattner circa 2012 kind of player. A rebounder who can play mediums and smalls who doesn't make many mistakes.

Even before COVID struck properly, I thought he was done though. He's right in the age range this side needs, but he and Clarke both come across as a little too naturally lacking in confidence. Just not quite forthright enough - dunno what it is about them but there were times last year when you'd see a senior player almost beg them to believe in themselves - the most striking was after Clarke kicked a good goal against GWS late in the year and Kennedy started shaking him as if to say "see, you CAN do it!".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back