Milestones

Ranked 10th in the AFL for rebound 50s per game
Ranked 2nd in the AFL for turnovers per game
Ranked 2nd in the AFL for metres gained per game
Ranked 2nd in the AFL for intercepts per game
Ranked 6th in the AFL for kicks per game
Ranked 11th in the AFL for marks per game

Standout

Round 7, 2018 (versus Essendon): Returning after a week on the sidelines due to suspension, Sicily was electric in defence against the Bombers. Playing CHB on Joe Daniher, Sicily had 29 disposals, took 14 marks and kicked a goal (before offering a low five to Daniher, to ruffle the Bombers' feathers) as the Hawks turned a seven point half-time deficit into a 23 point victory.

Shocker

Qualifying final, 2018 (versus Richmond): Rushed back into the team after a six week stint on the sidelines to heal a broken bone in his wrist, Sicily had plenty of the ball (21 disposals) but the Tigers had done their homework and made sure he wasn't dangerous with it. Given the expectation that Sicily would be a key playmaker from defence, it was a let down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WWSD

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
With the return of Birchall and the likely inclusion of Scrimshaw I expect to see Sicily dominating games next year and continue playing at an elite level and possibly be an All-Australian. He’s still a few years away from entering his prime.

rogiebear93

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sicily would have been an instant lock for AA had he not injured his wrist.

Interesting to note his turnover statistics, which are expected considering his role with the ball. If you go for a 60 metre belter you might miss a couple.

Billyc

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He is an absolute weapon. One of the best intercept markers in the game, he's quick, bold and an incredible kick of the footy. Had a great season before getting injured. Issues to focus on are the occasional brain fade and difficulty with taggers. But moving forward he is one of the very important players on our list.

tommyk72

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
James Sicily

Milestones

Ranked 10th in the AFL for rebound 50s per game
Ranked 2nd in the AFL for turnovers per game
Ranked 2nd in the AFL for metres gained per game
Ranked 2nd in the AFL for intercepts per game
Ranked 6th in the AFL for kicks per game
Ranked 11th in the AFL for marks per game
Elite level stats here.

Do you happen to know whether metres gained takes into account turnover at all? It may be that he moves the ball a long way, then it comes straight back past him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Meeseeks

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If a 36 year old can have a favourite then he's my favourite.
How is his wrist? I hope its not a concern, his marking his his ace card

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SSSSSS

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
He's a few braincells away from being one of the best players in the comp.

Sicily

Debutant
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Want to see him bring a bit of grunt back to his game as I reckon that he went a bit too cautious after copping it from the meedya flogs - plays his best footy when on the edge and can surely find the right level of balance with the right guidance and support.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cartagena C.F., NYJ, A's
Thread starter Moderator #20
He has just kicked his bomb on Daniher on the replay on FoxFooty.

Paul Roos moaning and moaning and moaning about the 50 against Daniher when it was a clear 50. Made hay of the back off an AFL funded premiership that he almost contrived to lose.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cartagena C.F., NYJ, A's
Thread starter Moderator #24
Personally, I felt that Sicily was brought back into the side to use his elite kicking skills to break the Richmond defensive zone but he was only allowed to do that on one or two occasions by the Tigers. He also shanked a lot of kicks coming out of defence. Perhaps my expectations were too high but for what he offered to the Hawthorn gameplan compared to what he delivered, he had a very poor game in my view.

Milkshaker

Team Captain
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Personally, I felt that Sicily was brought back into the side to use his elite kicking skills to break the Richmond defensive zone but he was only allowed to do that on one or two occasions by the Tigers. He also shanked a lot of kicks coming out of defence. Perhaps my expectations were too high but for what he offered to the Hawthorn gameplan compared to what he delivered, he had a very poor game in my view.
Was underdone and a gamble imo. Needed a game under his belt in case we went deeper.

Top Bottom