Past #6: Jason Horne-Francis - NM have been informed by JHF's management that he will seek a trade to SA [contracted for 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roos explain No. 1 pick’s shock axing as Port circles​

Jon Ralph

North Melbourne admits there is a “risk” in dropping No. 1 pick Jason Horne-Francis given the go-home factor and strong Port Adelaide interest in the former South Australian.

The Roos have demoted Horne-Francis to the VFL with development coach Brent Harvey saying on Friday he needed to get his Monday-to-Friday routine to a higher standard.

He said the decision to drop him was a combination of factors including his form, his adherence to structures on game-day and the heightened professionalism demanded by caretaker Leigh Adams.

Harvey told RSN Radio Horne-Francis was a competitive “beast” on field who was still developing elite habits, with the Roos aware of the speculation around dropping him.

“The risk is there, we know the risk, everyone knows the risk,” Harvey said.

“If you draft and they are from Adelaide or Perth the go-home factor will always be there. “But you can’t get held to ransom for these little things. You have to make sure your culture is No. 1 and that is what our coach is doing and I absolutely love it.”

Horne-Francis is contracted for next year after the Roos knocked back significant draft offers to secure him including Adelaide’s pick 4 and two future first-rounders for pick 1 and a future second-round pick.

Port Adelaide has made regular inquiries to Horne-Francis’ management about his future but at this stage he is keen to honour his 2023 contract.

They have received no inclination that position will change ahead of the trade period, despite the obvious link with his stepfather Fabian Francis a former Port Adelaide player.

The Roos are hopeful Alastair Clarkson might accept their offer of coaching the club as early as next week, and he would surely knock back any offer for the No. 1 draft pick.

But Horne-Francis, who put contract talks on hold earlier this year, has not settled as much as the club might have hoped amid a turbulent first season.
Harvey said the club had to be faithful to selection integrity as it taught Horne-Francis elite habits.

“There is some stuff we call Monday to Friday. It’s preparation stuff where you need to tick the boxes. This is not just about Jason, this is about everyone at a football club

Leigh Adams has very good standards and I have to be a little careful but we have got players not in our team and I will name one in Kayne Turner who would run through brick walls for every single one of his teammates and supporters and he does everything right.

“You would want to be doing everything right to make sure you‘re holding up your end of the bargain. We call that Monday to Friday. And if you haven’t got your Monday to Friday in order, that’s not good enough right now.

“Was it good enough in rounds 3-5. Maybe, but with Leigh Adams in charge the standards have gone to another level and players have to play their part. So Monday to Friday is just as important as performing on game day for us.”

Who writes this crap? Firstly Kayne isn't a midfielder and secondly he's not a good player!
View attachment 1474441
Listening to the interview, I took a different interpretation than what they have reported here.

My take was; Boomer was referencing KT as an example of someone who has less natural ability, but does everything he possibly can and is asked of him to try and get a game in the 1's. It seems this is a current gap for JHF, which is not uncommon for new players.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Listening to the interview, I took a different interpretation than what they have reported here.

My take was; Boomer was referencing KT as an example of someone who has less natural ability, but does everything he possibly can and is asked of him to try and get a game in the 1's. It seems this is a current gap for JHF, which is not uncommon for new players.

Fair point. Makes sense from that perspective.

I will start by saying I want to keep JHF as he is a star but who out of Adelaide or North would say no to JHF for the Crows first (currently pick 4) and either Thilthorpe or Rachele ? Or those two and they keep the pick.

I'd shove JHF in the boot of In The Know KIngy34's car and drop him at the gates for the match. * it, I'd let him play for Adelaides tomorrow.

Truly elite sports people have both extraordinary natural talent (i.e. their genetic ceiling is sky high) and work ethic (nurture). One of these will only get you so far.

The upside is you can learn and adopt an extraordinary work ethic to get the best of your natural gifts.

Give the lad time and I'm confident (hopeful) he will get there.

We may be witnessing the opposite of many 1st year players who explode out but then have the 2nd year blues... Perhaps under a new coaching regime he will have an extraordinary 2nd year...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cannot help himself can he?
Cunnington back from Cancer… no
Unfortunately I agree with him
Been a disap first season, can’t help but think that north football dept largely to blame..
Jack is the captain. Not ideal, but let’s deal in reality.
ok good to know
Captain at north not held to same standards as rest of team.
Got it.

We keep hearing this, year in, year out. Fourth time lucky to change it I guess.
It's interesting as the word was some players weren't happy as Noble was pushing to build better standards. Now we hear Patch is taking it to another level.

The constant through all this ..... The playing group. We hear about playing groups wanting/needing to drive their own success and standards, but it appears our group has been chronically incapable of this for the last 10 or so years.

I'm not sure why a kid getting dropped in his first year is so newsworthy or why it invokes such strong reactions on this Board, most of them negative.

It's clearly a Monday to Friday issue. If it was pure form, there'd be a few others tumbling out with him.

I cannot recall a first year player at this Club placed under more scrutiny and yet in terms of impact within games he's miles ahead of most young players I've seen at the Club.

So to say his year has been very disappointing is bordering on hysterical tbh.

If he's petulant or strong willed - so what. He ain't a robot and in the end it's a good test for player and Club.

Bring it on

The problem with using Kayne as an example is he might be delisted. Or does this mean another contract for Kayne? A tagger is Kaynes ideal position now imo

I think he’s just using Turner as an example of a bloke with * all ability who ticks every box to get the best out of himself.

Right now, Jason is still learning this.

Who writes this crap? Firstly Kayne isn't a midfielder and secondly he's not a good player!
View attachment 1474441
The editorial part is misleading but when you read Boomer's quoted words, it's clear he's saying that the coach is trying to set minimum standards for preparation - something that Kayne Turner does very well, yet he is still not in the team. If Jason wants to get back in the team, he needs to prepare more like Kayne.

We keep hearing this, year in, year out. Fourth time lucky to change it I guess.
Clarko has credentials in spades, I'd like to think that if a 4 time premiership coach says the standards aren't high enough then most players would accept that as fact. If the older heads don't accept it I would expect to see them out in short order tbh.

We're lucky in that JY is reportedly a ripper trainer, and Silver won a B&F after admitting to ramping up his preparation. Larky, who is now in the leadership group, commented after a loss how our training standards have to continue improving. I think there is hope on this front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back