Past #6: Jason Horne-Francis - NM have been informed by JHF's management that he will seek a trade to SA [contracted for 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Port didn't delist him by choice. This was back before the current trade period era. Flash Francis was extremely highly rated and a massive, massive fan favourite. Think he won the members award mutliple times. The crowd would light up when he bound down the wing and banged it through from 50.

The fact is, we 100% wanted him to keep playing with us, but he was offered big money by Freo, bit like Rioli with Port this year, and he left us for that chance to set his future up. Unfortunately at the time it all backfired big time as a Freo salary cap issue meant he was left high and dry, before doing his knee and ending his career.

If Fabian could have his time again I'm 100% he would not have left Port.
I reckon there’s a few things that Fabian would like to have over again.

Maybe punching your missus is one of them

It is amusing to see so many people up in arms that a player choosing to return to their home state has chosen their preferred club of choice. Literally every single bloody trade surrounding homesickness has the individual player selecting their preferred club. 10 clubs in Victoria but Dangerfield only nominated Geelong, Judd nominated Carlton, Tom Boyd nominated the Bulldogs, Taranto nominated Richmond etc.

Even if you could trade a player to the best offer within a designated state, I find it hard to imagine that the Crows would find the necessary draft capital to put up in such a trade given theyre already giving up this year's first round pick for Rankine.

Not entirely surprising he has requested a trade in light of the Clarkson stuff coming out. Regardless of whether or not you believe the allegations made against Clarko, what matters in this scenario is what is going through the player's head. If he believes them, then you've got a case of a kid from South Australia who was already homesick compounded by potentially having a coach who has been accused of racism towards indigenous players - and his step dad is indigenous. Not exactly hard to put the dots together in this instance.

There is to be had a debate surrounding the merit of players putting in trade requests after 1 year in the AFL system. It is ridiculous. The power is with the players far too much. I have long been an advocate for 4 year entry contracts (standard 2 year deal with two additional 1 year team options), and players should be able to be traded without consent even if contracted provided the team trading for said player is willing to pick up the tab for said contract (just like it is done in the US major sports).

I'll be surprised if this deal drags out. Has been in the works for a few days and North were aware of it and have been talking to Port for a short while prior to their statement coming out last night. All of this bravado about Rawlings talking to the Crows trying to get the best deal and demanding more than 2 first round picks or he stays another year is nothing more than window dressing to appease an angry supporter base. The deal will get done. Port want it to happen, and privately you'll find North want the headache gone as well.

Last edited:

The Clarkson stuff is a copout IMO Danni. Jason had an entire preseason, season then an announcement of a new superstar coach to re-sign if he wanted to.

Unless he and his agent had a crystal ball forecasting controversy 2 weeks ago it's just a convenient PR play to lessen the Judas stench to his request.
Agreed, but Danni is right to say that there is no way anybody from North is letting the idea float that players don't want to be at North due to the s**t-show around Clarkson.

I often think our supporters underrate our own players and their contribution to the club on and off field. Have been vocal about why I'd have wanted to keep Ben Brown, Robbie Tarrant and Shaun Higgins as North Melbourne players through to their retirements.

So was surprised myself when I felt almost no emotion reading the JHF news. Interesting this sentiment has been expressed by a few others too.

Talented kid but never felt like he bought into our club. His interviews were always underwhelming and despite objections on here, I'd posted that he needed to sign by the end of 2022 to show some kind of investment in the place. Otherwise WTF? He gets to sit back and make us earn his engagement? Great team attitude.

Every #1 pick goes to a club with clear performance issues with a high likelihood of coaching change in their first few years. It's the bottom club FFS. Plus plenty of early selection kids move state to make their mark.

The disingenuous part was him presenting himself as craving the #1 tag and pressure then turning tail at the first opportunity. This isn't about us. I think this request was coming regardless unless we had magically pushed top 4 this year. That he delayed signing so long was evidence enough of his non-commitment, before Clarkson signed or then hit the period of scrutiny.

Don't care that we'll probably never see Jason in North colours again. Was never one of us and all I care about now is that we absolutely nail the trade and bring in a king's ransom for him to set up the club for the next decade and beyond.

Go North.

In all honesty I was shattered when Missy and Taz went, I was tad emotional when BBB went as well.
But this clown I am just plain angry at the way he and his manager and Port have done it.
I personally couldn’t be ****ed shedding a tear or losing a seconds sleep over the player going, just the impact it has on Our (my) team!!

It is amusing to see so many people up in arms that a player choosing to return to their home state has chosen their preferred club of choice. Literally every single bloody trade surrounding homesickness has the individual player selecting their preferred club. 10 clubs in Victoria but Dangerfield only nominated Geelong, Judd nominated Carlton, Tom Boyd nominated the Bulldogs, Taranto nominated Richmond etc.

Even if you could trade a player to the best offer within a designated state, I find it hard to imagine that the Crows would find the necessary draft capital to put up in such a trade given theyre already giving up this year's first round pick for Rankine.

Not entirely surprising he has requested a trade in light of the Clarkson stuff coming out. Regardless of whether or not you believe the allegations made against Clarko, what matters in this scenario is what is going through the player's head. If he believes them, then you've got a case of a kid from South Australia who was already homesick compounded by potentially having a coach who has been accused of racism towards indigenous players - and his step dad is indigenous. Not exactly hard to put the dots together in this instance.

The debate surrounding the merit of players putting in trade requests after 1 year in the AFL system. It is ridiculous. The power is with the players far too much. I have long been an advocate for 4 year entry contracts (standard 2 year deal with two additional 1 year team options), and players should be able to be traded without consent even if contracted provided the team trading for said player is willing to pick up the tab for said contract (just like it is done in the US major sports).

I'll be surprised if this deal drags out. Has been in the works for a few days and North were aware of it and have been talking to Port for a short while prior to their statement coming out last night. All of this bravado about Rawlings talking to the Crows trying to get the best deal and demanding more than 2 first round picks or he stays another year is nothing more than window dressing to appease an angry supporter base. The deal will get done. Port want it to happen, and privately you'll find North want the headache gone as well.
You contradict yourself in paragraphs 1 and 4.

The Clarkson stuff is a copout IMO Danni. Jason had an entire preseason, season then an announcement of a new superstar coach to re-sign if he wanted to.

Unless he and his agent had a crystal ball forecasting controversy 2 weeks ago it's just a convenient PR play to lessen the Judas stench to his request.
Probably should have been a little clearer, I’m not convinced that’s the sole reason he left but I just mean generally, across the board. The uncertainty is obviously not helpful.

Alright, Port posters - is there anything about JHF's attitude/character/loyalty that you find questionable?

Or is it all 'Clarko's a racist' and homesickness?

There is to be had a debate surrounding the merit of players putting in trade requests after 1 year in the AFL system. It is ridiculous. The power is with the players far too much. I have long been an advocate for 4 year entry contracts (standard 2 year deal with two additional 1 year team options), and players should be able to be traded without consent even if contracted provided the team trading for said player is willing to pick up the tab for said contract (just like it is done in the US major sports).

Yes but there home is in SA, makes no sense. 🤣

The debate surrounding the merit of players putting in trade requests after 1 year in the AFL system. It is ridiculous. The power is with the players far too much. I have long been an advocate for 4 year entry contracts (standard 2 year deal with two additional 1 year team options), and players should be able to be traded without consent even if contracted provided the team trading for said player is willing to pick up the tab for said contract (just like it is done in the US major sports).

You'll find that Horne-Francis is contracted to North next year and unless either Adelaide or Port Adelaide come up with a good enough deal, he'll play for North, it's that simple.

His preferred club is Port Adelaide and a deal might be done with Port. There're a number of examples when the deal hasn't got done though. And if homesickness is the reason, well the Crows will solve that issue. North will listen to the Crows and if the offer is better than Port's, he'll have the option of going there. If he doesn't want to, he'll stay with us.

You contradict yourself in paragraphs 1 and 4.

Hardly.

Alright, Port posters - is there anything about JHF's attitude/character/loyalty that you find questionable?

Have said for a while on the Port board he has some significant red flags that should give any team at least some pause. I also work with a lot of people who have had a connection to JHF through is playing days down at Christies and South Adelaide, and they all say he will be fine when back in Adelaide.

I personally don't see him as a slam dunk sure fire superstar in the making at all. Potential is there but that's all it is right now. That's not to say as a list manager I would be opposed to paying a premium price to try to have him realise his potential at my club though.

Sorry for the intrusion but you asked

Not really I followed him during his juniors and he never had any issues, not gunna judge an 18/19 year old for making mistakes in his first year. If anything I liked when he was getting frustrated, showed he cares… better than players smiling and stuff with the opposition after the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is an obvious ******* lying deceiving rat.

We can't have him in our social club no more, that much I do know.

the-sopranos-tony-soprano.gif

1664774731634.gif

Sorry for the intrusion but you asked

Not really I followed him during his juniors and he never had any issues, not gunna judge an 18/19 year old for making mistakes in his first year. If anything I liked when he was getting frustrated, showed he cares… better than players smiling and stuff with the opposition after the game
What was that didn’t catch anything after sorry.

Yes, I am sure he would be rushing home if your team hadn't offered him a 3.2 million, 4 year deal.

Also, apologies for intruding on North board so much - this place has been box office for months now.

I did ask for Port comments so please, some respect. :cool:

If JHF wanted to return to SA to only play with the Crows would his character/loyalty/attitude be more of an issue?

Yes, I am sure he would be rushing home if your team hadn't offered him a 3.2 million, 4 year deal.

Also, apologies for intruding on North board so much - this place has been box office for months now.

You don't think he would have gotten similar money at North?

the foundations of this sting were placed well before recent events. remember the grub being a sour bitch when clarko did his tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back