Past #6: Jason Horne-Francis - NM have been informed by JHF's management that he will seek a trade to SA [contracted for 2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To help reduce transition shock there needs to be better focus on educating draftees how AFL teams operate, in particular role playing and position description. So many just don’t know how it works.

The struggle is real, draftees all of a sudden realising they have a mundane repetitive job both off and on the field ( I say mundane bc it’s in comparison to running around in the state leagues showing off their wares).

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For example
Also studies out there which identify cold water immersion as beneficial in recovery for endurance based activities rather than strength based activities. Either way, completing an active recovery and ice baths aren't mutually exclusive. And further to that, JHF is a 19 year old kid in a professional sporting environment, if his recovery program requires him to jump in an ice bath he bloody well should. Tail doesn't wag the dog

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Also studies out there which identify cold water immersion as beneficial in recovery for endurance based activities rather than strength based activities. Either way, completing an active recovery and ice baths aren't mutually exclusive. And further to that, JHF is a 19 year old kid in a professional sporting environment, if his recovery program requires him to jump in an ice bath he bloody well should. Tail doesn't wag the dog
I’m not disputing the benefits, and I’m not a sport scientist or pretending to be one.

I’m just raising the questions: 1) is there anything unique to ice baths that couldn’t be achieved by say, doing gentle laps of the pool and some time on the exercise bike; and 2) if not, why enforce a prescriptive approach.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I thought scientists had established that this notion ice baths provide you with any real benefits beyond what you’d get from active recovery was balderdash.

Certainly, Adam Simpson always maintained that ice baths were not scientifically proven to be effective while he was playing. Not sure if he changed his tune after becoming a coach.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m not disputing the benefits, and I’m not a sport scientist or pretending to be one.

I’m just raising the questions: 1) is there anything unique to ice baths that couldn’t be achieved by say, doing gentle laps of the pool and some time on the exercise bike; and 2) if not, why enforce a prescriptive approach.

It's unclear from reports whether Jason simply skipped the ice bath or whether he refused to do any active recovery either.

I do wonder about modern sports science and their one size fits all warm up routines before games. Obviously I'm nowhere near a pro athlete but the sports I've been involved with in recent times tend to have blind prescriptive warm up approaches that never worked for me. I found I was burning way too much energy on the warm up and always felt and performed better with a bit of a stretch and then straight into it. But then again, if I fail, nobody else suffers as nobody has invested time and money into my performance. That's the thing with Jason. He can't claim to know better at this stage of his journey.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
It's unclear from reports whether Jason simply skipped the ice bath or whether he refused to do any active recovery either.

I do wonder about modern sports science and their one size fits all warm up routines before games. Obviously I'm nowhere near a pro athlete but the sports I've been involved with in recent times tend to have blind prescriptive warm up approaches that never worked for me. I found I was burning way too much energy on the warm up and always felt and performed better with a bit of a stretch and then straight into it. But then again, if I fail, nobody else suffers as nobody has invested time and money into my performance. That's the thing with Jason. He can't claim to know better at this stage of his journey.
There’s a significant level of pseudoscience in the ‘high performance’ industry.

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
if I fail, nobody else suffers as nobody has invested time and money into my performance. That's the thing with Jason. He can't claim to know better at this stage of his journey.
Yeah. I'm not saying that a 19 year kid should be able to take a good salary from the club and just ignore what its S&C team and the doctors tell him to do.
I'm just curious about how ridgy-didge all this ice bath business really is.
Its possible I'm projecting as my calves feel a wee bit rough after my Sunday morning long jog.

Mr Lloyd Christmas

Premiership Player
May 5, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jed and Ziebell will both be out and possibly PC too. Would be surprised if he doesn't came straight back in with Thomas.

Good point, if I was coach i'd definitely bring them both back to hopefully finish the season on a high note.

However I guess (as I implied) I could also understand if the two game block in VFL (and TT to keep building his fitness) was part of the understanding.

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I told my dog trainer how difficult it is to walk my puppy because he is already big and heavy and he keeps pulling on the lead forcefully and in different directions.
The trainer said "he is young and intelligent, so he thinks he knows best. He assumes his job is to dictate the direction you will take..."
Before he could finish I said "maybe I should change his name to JHF!"
And he looked at me sternly and said "or maybe you should change your name to Clarko."

I think there's something in that for all of us

North Melbourne youngster Jason Horne-Francis staked his claim for a senior recall after a good performance in the VFL.

Last year’s No.1 pick finished with 29 disposals, nine clearances, five inside 50s and six marks against Coburg on Saturday.

Horne-Francis was dropped for North’s Round 22 match against Adelaide for reportedly disobeying team orders.

“The star teenager was called out by interim coach Leigh Adams and senior players on Sunday for failing to complete his proper ice bath and recovery in front of their very eyes,” 7AFL reporter Cleary said.

“It’s contributed to him being dropped for what was meant to be his first AFL games in front of family and friends in front of South Australia.”

Garry Lyon backed the Kangaroos’ decision to omit Horne-Francis as interim coach Adams looks to drive higher standards at Arden Street.

“I didn’t mind it,” Lyon told SEN Breakfast.

“I thought that’s what Leigh Adams should be doing in the interim as an interim coach, demand high standards.”

SEN Breakfast co-host Nathan Buckley also weighed in on Horne-Francis’ omission.

“What I would suggest is that this is a young man who has still got a lot of development, both on and off the field, and this club and coaching group are trying to help him become a better player and better product for the club,” Buckley said.

“If the club are making calls based on a concern of a player leaving and then that means that they sweep issues under the carpet and miss development opportunities, well then, that club isn’t worth a pinch of salt or the leadership that are making the decision.

“I think you need to get rid of the exterior, get rid of the potential fallout and say, ‘How are we going to help this young man become the best version of themselves?’ And you’ve got to make the decisions in the moment.”

Horne-Francis, 19, is averaging 16.3 disposals and 3.6 clearances in his debut season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back