Past #6: Jason Horne-Francis - NM have been informed by JHF's management that he will seek a trade to SA [contracted for 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL Trade Period: North Melbourne has officially met with Jason Horne-Francis after Adelaide’s huge offer for No. 1 draft pick
Adelaide threw virtually everything it could to wrestle prospective No.1 draft pick Jason Horne-Francis from North Melbourne’s grasp. So why didn’t it work?

Matt Turner and Marc McGowan

October 10, 2021 - 11:54AM

Roos finally meet SA phenom after Crows’ huge offer
It’s finally happened, Kangaroos fans.

Prospective No.1 draft pick Jason Horne-Francis officially met with North Melbourne’s recruiting team on Saturday, as the Roos consider crowning him the country’s best teenage prospect.

Joining Horne-Francis were his agent Ben Williams, of Players Ink management group, mother Trish and stepfather Fabian Francis, who played 109 games for Port Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne.

Kangaroos coach David Noble was not in the Zoom meeting, with list boss Glenn Luff and recruiting manager Mark Finnigan among the club’s representatives.

The catch up ends a fortnight of commentary about North Melbourne having not met with the South Adelaide phenom, who is being likened to Patrick Dangerfield and Michael Voss.

Horne-Francis is the reason the Crows made an audacious offer this week to the Roos of three first-round selections to try to snatch the top pick, while also receiving a future second-rounder back.

The disclaimer is one of those selections is premier Melbourne’s future first-rounder and there may not be a major difference between that and the Roos’ second pick next year.

North Melbourne rejected Adelaide’s informal proposal but it may not be the Crows’ last ahead of the November 24 draft night.

Eyebrows were raised when Horne-Francis told the News Corp last month he hadn’t had any official contact with the Kangaroos’ list management crew.

“No, I haven’t actually spoken to North yet, which I think most people think is a little weird. But I think we will get there soon,” he said.

“I have spoken to 11 or 12 clubs but I am happy to go anywhere, really. I think North have some interest but I will embrace wherever I go.

“North are a really young and developing team. They are exciting to watch, so it would be good to come into a young squad like that and develop with the young boys, but I haven’t heard much from them yet.”

Asked last week about not meeting with Horne-Francis yet, Kangaroos list manager Luff explained they had intended to do so face-to-face once the Covid-19 situation settled.

North’s recruiting team also wanted to give the brilliant 18-year-old breathing room while he played in the SANFL finals.

AFL Trade Period: North Melbourne has officially met with Jason Horne-Francis after Adelaide’s huge offer for No. 1 draft pick
Adelaide threw virtually everything it could to wrestle prospective No.1 draft pick Jason Horne-Francis from North Melbourne’s grasp. So why didn’t it work?

Matt Turner and Marc McGowan

October 10, 2021 - 11:54AM

Roos finally meet SA phenom after Crows’ huge offer
It’s finally happened, Kangaroos fans.

Prospective No.1 draft pick Jason Horne-Francis officially met with North Melbourne’s recruiting team on Saturday, as the Roos consider crowning him the country’s best teenage prospect.

Joining Horne-Francis were his agent Ben Williams, of Players Ink management group, mother Trish and stepfather Fabian Francis, who played 109 games for Port Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne.

Kangaroos coach David Noble was not in the Zoom meeting, with list boss Glenn Luff and recruiting manager Mark Finnigan among the club’s representatives.

The catch up ends a fortnight of commentary about North Melbourne having not met with the South Adelaide phenom, who is being likened to Patrick Dangerfield and Michael Voss.

Horne-Francis is the reason the Crows made an audacious offer this week to the Roos of three first-round selections to try to snatch the top pick, while also receiving a future second-rounder back.

The disclaimer is one of those selections is premier Melbourne’s future first-rounder and there may not be a major difference between that and the Roos’ second pick next year.

North Melbourne rejected Adelaide’s informal proposal but it may not be the Crows’ last ahead of the November 24 draft night.

Eyebrows were raised when Horne-Francis told the News Corp last month he hadn’t had any official contact with the Kangaroos’ list management crew.

“No, I haven’t actually spoken to North yet, which I think most people think is a little weird. But I think we will get there soon,” he said.

“I have spoken to 11 or 12 clubs but I am happy to go anywhere, really. I think North have some interest but I will embrace wherever I go.

“North are a really young and developing team. They are exciting to watch, so it would be good to come into a young squad like that and develop with the young boys, but I haven’t heard much from them yet.”

Asked last week about not meeting with Horne-Francis yet, Kangaroos list manager Luff explained they had intended to do so face-to-face once the Covid-19 situation settled.

North’s recruiting team also wanted to give the brilliant 18-year-old breathing room while he played in the SANFL finals.
Did they really throw everything though? Our 2nd for Melbourne’s 1st almost cancels itself out.

So it’s a top 5 with no real standout at that pick and whatever pick they land next year for what looks like a sure fire elite player of the future.

Generally don’t value Randell’s opinion but what he is right about is that he’ll be our Voss, Buckley, Danger, etc.

End of the day, if you want to be on prime time then you need something worth watching and JHF will provide that. Reckon he is already good for an extra Friday night game next season.

Generally don’t value Randell’s opinion but what he is right about is that he’ll be our Voss, Buckley, Danger, etc.

End of the day, if you want to be on prime time then you need something worth watching and JHF will provide that. Reckon he is already good for an extra Friday night game next season.

I realise that getting a no. 1 pick may titillate some members of the media in the short term, but we already have Thomas who can do things that no one else in the league can and Zurhaar who is probably one of the most left of field and likeable characters going around. Adding to them will be great but it won’t change a thing. North won’t get extra Friday night games until we are bashing the door down going for a premiership.

Listen to how lackadaisical the commentators are when one of young guns flies for a mark, when we go coast to coast for a goal or when Cam kicks a bullshit goal. It’s basically crickets compared to other hyped media darlings.

Horne-Francis will help generate some interest, but most importantly will help us win games.

Apologies for being a downer.

I reckon that’s the size of it. It is a story that fans of the game are interested in and will be scheduled accordingly. It will be interesting who the put up against us. I reckon there’s a fair chance we get Collingwood early on in the hope Horne and Daicos can face off.

I realise that getting a no. 1 pick may titillate some members of the media in the short term, but we already have Thomas who can do things that no one else in the league can and Zurhaar who is probably one of the most left of field and likeable characters going around. Adding to them will be great but it won’t change a thing. North won’t get extra Friday night games until we are bashing the door down going for a premiership.

Listen to how lackadaisical the commentators are when one of young guns flies for a mark, when we go coast to coast for a goal or when Cam kicks a bullshit goal. It’s basically crickets compared to other hyped media darlings.

Horne-Francis will help generate some interest, but most importantly will help us win games.

Apologies for being a downer.
From memory didn’t the Suns, who never get prime time outside of occasional Sat night get some due to Matt Rowell?

If JHF takes the comp by storm I’d be shocked if we don’t see prime time or at least some FTA games.

I know we get the bad end of the stick but if our viewing audience is high we’ll see what happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JASON SAYS HE’LL HOP STRAIGHT INTO WORK

MATT TURNER

SOUTH Adelaide young gun Jason Horne-Francis is starting to see himself as a North Melbourne player, a month out from the national draft.

“It’s hard not to when there’s a lot of media stuff about it,” Horne-Francis said at SA’s draft combine on Saturday.

“They (North Melbourne) have spoken to me and said that.

“They’re keen, obviously.”

The Kangaroos are almost certain to take Horne-Francis with their top pick on November 24 after interviewing him last Saturday on the back of his standout SANFL season with the Panthers.

Horne-Francis, who registered 24 touches, 11 clearances and 3.3 in South’s losing preliminary final, said North Melbourne told him it saw him in a mid-forward role next year.

Adelaide and Richmond tried to secure the No.1 pick from the Kangaroos during the trade period so they could get the 18-year-old, only to be knocked back.

“It’s a big honour to have clubs put up that for yourself,” he said.

“It’s a bit crazy, but I feel like it’ll take care of itself.”

Horne-Francis only completed jumping tests at UniSA Mawson Lakes on Saturday but the fact the SA under-19 captain attended, when he did not need to prove anything to scouts, highlighted his competitive nature and desire to support his mates.

As the hype around him has mounted, Horne-Francis has taken it all in his stride.

“I feel like I’m usually pretty good with the head space and not looking into it too much,” he said.

“It is tough when your mum posts on Facebook every time she sees your face (in the media).”

Horne-Francis said playing two seasons of state league footy held him in good stead for the elite level.

“I feel like I can make an impact straight away,” he said.

“I’m excited to have footy as a job and you can do what you love every day.”

Horne-Francis said his stepdad Fabian Francis, who played 86 AFL games for Port Adelaide, as well as 23 for Melbourne and Brisbane, had been a big influence.

“He’s just like any other dad, just with a bit more knowledge of football,” he said.

“He’s been really good to develop me as a person and player.”

As for Horne-Francis’s mum Trish, she is already starting to accept an interstate move is on the cards.

“It’s going to be a bit tough for her, but she’s slowly getting her head around it,” he said.

SANFL talent manager Brenton Phillips said North Melbourne “should be all over” Horne-Francis.

“I haven’t seen too many 18-yearolds like that at that particular level (in a SANFL preliminary final) pick up a side by the scruff of the neck and almost get them across the line,” Phillips said.

“It highlights the maturity, the work ethic and the competitive nature.

Forgive me for being incredibly late to the party...but the port legend step father that will make the kid want to go home is Fabian ******* Francis? Turn it up 🤣 Will retire a shinboner.
I’m sure that’s true.
But the few port games I saw televised in Brisbane back in the day, Fabian Francis was a silky skilled bloody good footballer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back