Player Watch #6: Jason Horne-Francis - the Rd7 AFL Rising Star nominee - puts contract talks on hold until end of season

Remove this Banner Ad

SimpkinByTheDockOfTheBay

Seasoned Football Analyst
Aug 21, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Watched him like a hawk today at training:

- He's appears to have fit in very well, looked to be having a ball with all the boys, particularly he, Archer & Zurhaar
- He goes for contact, he appears to desire it
- His kicking is fantastic

He seems to enter every contest looking to hurt as well as win. All the true champions have this mindset.

EDIT - not saying he's a champion yet.

Last edited:

Psicosis

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hopefully we see an early contract extension soon throw on an extra 2 years on top of the initial 2 year draft contract ASAP

we waited til mid year for Phillips etc but this one should be done immediately

Highly doubt it’ll be any different to Powell or Phillips. Noble said when asked recently that they’ll let him settle in and get comfortable first.

Let the kid get his feet on the ground before putting a contract in front of him TZ. Girls don’t like it when guys are “too keen”, I imagine players and footy clubs are similar.

the big lebowski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m sure the club would extend him out for 2 years right now if he would sign. Like they did around this time with LDU.

Reality is that he won’t sign a contract until he knows he’s settled and north is where he wants to be.

Hopefully it gets down this year but I could certainly see it creeping into 2023.

Usayed Givashe

Premium Platinum
Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Highly doubt it’ll be any different to Powell or Phillips. Noble said when asked recently that they’ll let him settle in and get comfortable first.

Let the kid get his feet on the ground before putting a contract in front of him TZ. Girls don’t like it when guys are “too keen”, I imagine players and footy clubs are similar.

‘Knowing’ Jason, he seems the sort of kid to back himself in to play above expectation and earn his $8k per week upgrade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nutjob

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Haha probably a bad analogy by me.
What I was trying to say he can do a lot of things, good mark, good hands, competitive, decent kick, could play multiple positions, kicks goals

Horne - Francis - The Leatherman

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The Dingrel

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Would have thought his 1st 4 years under Scott (2010-13) were his best, most complete and consistent football, then he was robbed of 2 peak years (ages 29 & 30) by freak injuries - the pulmonary embolism and lisfranc - before bouncing back in '16. He was always the sort of player who could take you apart with an 18-touch masterpiece rather than a wire-to-wire dominator. Despite his reputation for being fragile, he still played at least 19 games in each of his age 25-28 years, and less than 18 (all 10 or less) in only 3 of his 14 seasons with us.

Also suffered from OP....if anyone else has suffered from that you'd know how debilitating and frustrating it is. 2014 elimination final....yeah the frank the tank one,,,,,picked up 28 disposals, 10 contested, 4 goal assists.......coming off very limited conditioning, only played 10 games that season, and if memory serves correct was rushed back in from a few minutes playing time in the VFL. There were some very memorable moments that night, BUT for me Wellsy really rose to the occasion. I really don't know if we'd have won without him, and if anything despite all the early hype and expectations, I think he is one of the most under rated players to play the game.

shinboner magic

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Just waiting for that moment... (maybe in the 3rd quarter)

momentum is back and fourth, close contest, we need a lift and the midfield battle is pretty even...

JHF crumbs the hit out and breaks away from the pack, gets to 45 out, straightens up and slots it.

We all cream our pants.

You missed the part where he runs over a couple of opponents

marklovesbeer

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
4AC97523-326E-41EB-A7A3-0D42085AB9BD.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad