Past #6: Jason Horne-Francis - NM have been informed by JHF's management that he will seek a trade to SA [contracted for 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No disrespect to Jy who could track to have a very good career.

But Daniel Wells had the athletic gifts - high endurance AND high speed - plus great agility, plus top level skills, nouse and vision to be something else again.

If he had the hardened ambition of Chris Judd or Nathan Fyfe he'd have ended up a club legend. His 1st 2 years were in some ways his best, relative to his experience level at the time.
Jy needs to clean up his kicking otherwise he'll get left behind by the talent we've got coming through.

But Daniel Wells had the athletic gifts - high endurance AND high speed - plus great agility, plus top level skills, nouse and vision to be something else again.

If he had the hardened ambition of Chris Judd or Nathan Fyfe he'd have ended up a club legend. His 1st 2 years were in some ways his best, relative to his experience level at the time.
Would have thought his 1st 4 years under Scott (2010-13) were his best, most complete and consistent football, then he was robbed of 2 peak years (ages 29 & 30) by freak injuries - the pulmonary embolism and lisfranc - before bouncing back in '16. He was always the sort of player who could take you apart with an 18-touch masterpiece rather than a wire-to-wire dominator. Despite his reputation for being fragile, he still played at least 19 games in each of his age 25-28 years, and less than 18 (all 10 or less) in only 3 of his 14 seasons with us.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Would have thought his 1st 4 years under Scott (2010-13) were his best, most complete and consistent football, then he was robbed of 2 peak years (ages 29 & 30) by freak injuries - the pulmonary embolism and lisfranc - before bouncing back in '16. He was always the sort of player who could take you apart with an 18-touch masterpiece rather than a wire-to-wire dominator. Despite his reputation for being fragile, he still played at least 19 games in each of his age 25-28 years, and less than 18 (all 10 or less) in only 3 of his 14 seasons with us.

I mention his 1st 2 years relative to experience. Maybe it was too much dreaming, but as good as he produced under Scott a couple of times, to me he had the assets to be talked about in GAJ or Andrew McLeod territory at career end. Not sure he ever became the year on year AA player he had the promise to be.

In 2003-2004 he was so dynamic at his defensive work while moving so beautifully and winning a couple of games of his own boot. Thought he was a perfect silk footballer at his peak.

I mention his 1st 2 years relative to experience. Maybe it was too much dreaming, but as good as he produced under Scott a couple of times, to me he had the assets to be talked about in GAJ or Andrew McLeod territory at career end. Not sure he ever became the year on year AA player he had the promise to be.

In 2003-2004 he was so dynamic at his defensive work while moving so beautifully and winning a couple of games of his own boot. Thought he was a perfect silk footballer at his peak.
Yeah I guess I remember being excited by the promise he showed in his first couple of years, but in hindsight, not particularly remarkable. 12 touches a game with flashes of brilliance is pretty common among top-5 draftees.

And at the risk of being perceived as talking him down, he was my favourite North player from the day he first pulled on the jumper until he walked out. Was a joy to watch and a reason to hand over your money in some dark years.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Yeah I guess I remember being excited by the promise he showed in his first couple of years, but in hindsight, not particularly remarkable. 12 touches a game with flashes of brilliance is pretty common among top-5 draftees.

And at the risk of being perceived as talking him down, he was my favourite North player from the day he first pulled on the jumper until he walked out. Was a joy to watch and a reason to hand over your money in some dark years.

Understand what you mean mate.

2003-4 was one of those periods I attended a lot of H&A games with non-North friends and although Wells' numbers weren't exceptional, his actual output observed live had them all salivating. Even just the way he soft kicked the ball at training was poetic.

As I mentioned in terms of him adopting other mindsets, if he'd had Brent Harvey's determination to make absolutely everything out of his potential he'd probably be a GOAT midfielder for us.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I don't think anyone would have ever described Wellsy as a high endurance player within the footy club mate.

Certainly had great agility and speed, tank not so much.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I don't think anyone would have ever described Wellsy as a high endurance player within the footy club mate.

Certainly had great agility and speed, tank not so much.

https://www.topendsports.com/sport/afl/testing-draft-results-2002.htm

Standing Vertical Jump
Daniel Wells (Peel Thunder) – 67cm

20m Sprint
2.96 DANIEL WELLS

Agility
1. Byron Schammer (West Adelaide) – 7.95sec
2. James Allan (Geelong Falcons) – 8.07sec
3. Daniel Wells (Peel Thunder) – 8.20sec

Shuttle Run
1. Jarrad McVeigh (NSW/ACT Rams) – 15.06
2. Daniel Wells (Peel Thunder) – 14.13

3km Time-trial
10:21 DANIEL WELLS

------------

I reckon a 14.13 beep test is pretty good. Then look at the rest of his results.

And he was a footballer much more than athlete. Was given a lot of genetic gifts.

Frank Thring

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Daniel Wells thread is thataway >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Standing Vertical Jump

20m Sprint
2.96 DANIEL WELLS

Agility

Shuttle Run

3km Time-trial

------------

I reckon a 14.13 beep test is pretty good. Then look at the rest of his results.

And he was a footballer much more than athlete. Was given a lot of genetic gifts.
Having the same 2km time as wellsy makes me feel good but I was 1 second faster hehe

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We didn't finish the year well but I don't see evidence that we tanked. We didn't put half the team in for early surgery or play people out of position. From the bye to R18 we were a bottom 8 team. For the rest of the season were just the worst in it.
I can guarantee everyone on here that if anybody even whispered the T word while Noble is here they would be well and truly gone by now and never welcomed back and the same can be said about B Scott as well never tanked in the 10 years he was there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Apparently goes all right ?
Anyone else heard this?

Forgot we got him.

Come on North we need JHF content.

1639630176626.png

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Standing Vertical Jump

20m Sprint
2.96 DANIEL WELLS

Agility

Shuttle Run

3km Time-trial

------------

I know what his pre-draft stats were

But I saw enough time trials at the club to know Wellsy was barely in our best 10 runners at the club at any point.

It doesn't mean anything (See Cunnington), but he certainly wasn't an elite AFL runner, in fact his conditioning was his biggest criticism internally from the club for most of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back