Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

MOD EDIT: Link to previous edition of this thread: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/6-joe-daniher.981402/

529550_3845286149481_447816370_n.jpg

Welcome to the Essendon Football Club, Joe Daniher!

NOTE: I know there's already a Player Watch thread on JD, but we have to be somewhat ceremonious! Mods, feel free to merge the two after Thursday or whenever you all decide.

Height:
201cm
Weight: 90kg
D/O/B: 4/3/1994
Position: Full Forward
Drafted From: Calder Cannons, Pick 10, Father/son
Father: Anthony Daniher (118 games for EFC, 1987-1994)

Key Strengths:
  • Huge unit, still needs to add muscle, but height is an enormous advantage
  • Could have easily been a number one draft pick
  • Extremely quick for his size
  • Huge leap
  • Great set of hands, best marking player in the draft
  • Extremely clean at ground level
  • Well rounded, clean skills
  • Dat kicking technique
Weaknesses:
  • Are you kidding? It's Joe f*cking Daniher.
  • Inconsistent kicking? That'd be it.
  • Harpdarp face
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome, potentially, the most exciting recruit to the Essendon Football Club since Brendon Goddard. Wait, hang on.
The 201 centimeter goliath known as JD will be lurking the Essendon forward 50 for many years to come, and we can look forward to a player who will excite fans young and old. Joe is the best marking player in the 2012 draft, and would be, quite simply, a number one draft pick had it not been for his wonderful father Anthony and his 118 games in the 80s and 90s.
He has been dubbed "The best TAC cup player ever" by certain personalities; rated above the likes of Judd, Ablett, and Cotchin. The hype surrounding the kid has been enormous, but he has tackled it with a smile on his face and an Essendon polo hanging off his slightly skinny frame. His skills are extreme, as is his speed for his size- He is an intimidating prospect for any defender. With a full pre-season under his belt under Dean Robinson, we can expect him to improve both physically and aerobically, and, as James Hird said himself, we can also expect Joe to play 10 to 15 games in 2013.
If Joe can improve his at times wayward kicking, he will be an absolute star for the Essendon Football Club. Some would say he is a Gumbleton replacement, but I see Gumby and JD being the future superstars of the Essendon forward line, with Hurley going back.
Welcome, Joe Daniher!

566505-joe-daniher.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Coldacre

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Honestly, what do you want him to say to you?
lol
how about not lie? dance around the issue... change the topic... etc. they’re all savvy at that. just don’t blatantly lie. too much to ask?

Jan 10, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Does Essendon really need draft picks? Have to wait 2-3 years before they become mature AFL players. Dons are not that far off now when they play at their best. Reckon we need bigger bodied mid fielders that run both ways and protect guys like Merrett and Shiel. Maybe one draft pick and SPP.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Does Essendon really need draft picks? Have to wait 2-3 years before they become mature AFL players. Dons are not that far off now when they play at their best. Reckon we need bigger bodied mid fielders that run both ways and protect guys like Merrett and Shiel. Maybe one draft pick and SPP.
If it's good for teams like GWS and Geelong to draft and blood youngsters, then it's certainly good for us.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
If we somehow get 5 and 9, even with giving up a second.. we've done well considering how injuries.

Now if that happens... Joe is on big money. We should be right after Cameron from GWS with dare I say 3 first round picks to try and get him over here.

If we can't get a FF we aren't going anywhere next year. Ours just do not cut it.
Fwd line is poor. Poorer still if Raz goes too.
Saw it this year what happens when those two arent up and about.

Look at the influence of Walsh, Rozee etc. Add maybe SPP or a Howard, then possibly sign Jenkins.

Jun 22, 2015
Where the magic happens
AFL Club
Essendon
Fwd line is poor. Poorer still if Raz goes too.
Saw it this year what happens when those two arent up and about.

I'm not as concerned with raz even though he's a quality player and someone who in the past I've called a barometer for us.

Sure he's quality but I'm hoping mozzie can come on and I really rate the potential aquisition of SPP. But joe.. we cannot replace him. I also think we should be after butler

Blueballs38

Premiership Player
Feb 27, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Have to say as a Carlton supporter I am glad he is going to Sydney (our rivalry and all). Sydney taking a big risk getting his groins right but geez if that sort that out he's a bloody gun and a half. TBH its not a bad thing for u guys .... u have been doing well without him and the picks u get for him may well give you a decent push in ur premiership window which is now, but sort of faltering. BUT with this the picks u could do pull a Richmond circa 2016

Would you guys take picks 5 & 9 with something going back and if so what would that back pick be? Assuming its going to CFC? Papely for 5 & 9 and something back

Secondly do u think u would go to the draft with those picks or try to bolster ur premiership chances next year with a ready made gun this year?

Personally Wines would be what I would be pursuing if I was DORRO and it was certain a deal for Jo would be done with Sydney.

thoughts?

Albertross

Club Legend
Feb 26, 2015
North of the border
AFL Club
Essendon
That and sitting through 2 years of near 0 output only to move on. That’s frustrating.

Hopefully we win trade week again but I reckon Carlton will unless we get all of Powell-Pepper, Papley, Howard, Blakely and pick 5. Make it happen! Lol
Farking sick of us "winning" trade week. Hasn't even come close to helping us be relevant come September.

Hurts to say it, but I reckon the Blues are about to go past us.

Greendogg5

Club Legend
Jun 1, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Borussia Dortmund, Utah Jazz
If we somehow get 5 and 9, even with giving up a second.. we've done well considering how injuries.

Now if that happens... Joe is on big money. We should be right after Cameron from GWS with dare I say 3 first round picks to try and get him over here.

If we can't get a FF we aren't going anywhere next year. Ours just do not cut it.
Our premiership window has slammed shut and shattered in the process. With Joe gone, this list is not winning a premiership. The list needed improvements in the midfield but now it needs improvements to kpf and midfield (not to mention a fantasia replacement). We can go after J. Cameron all we want but he also has to want to come here and honestly why would he? It's unfortunately time to blow it up.

Joey out. 20 goals? Plays a few.
Jenkins in. 30+ goals? Plays 20.
Win.
IMO if we could secure Dougal Howard with the Fantasia deal we can swing Hooker forward to FF for a few years. Jenkins is probably a better forward but Hooker isn't the defender he was anymore.

Rustyrich

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Our premiership window has slammed shut and shattered in the process. With Joe gone, this list is not winning a premiership. The list needed improvements in the midfield but now it needs improvements to kpf and midfield (not to mention a fantasia replacement). We can go after J. Cameron all we want but he also has to want to come here and honestly why would he? It's unfortunately time to blow it up.
I still think we can have another solid crack (even top 4). We should get some good picks for Joe and good emerging players coming through and the likes of Saad and Tippa etc. progressing. But yes, we need a key forward.

Back