Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard today that Daniher isn't happy with Essendon's handling of the situation - from a source that knows.

I personally would be very surprised if he's at the club in 2020 and it's my opinion that we should have taken what we could and run.

I've made my views clear on the 'transition' coaching crap and with Joe's situation adding a bit more story around Essendon I can see this turning into a steamer.

I can't say I'm impressed with Daniher's actions either TBH. If reports that he is fit again are correct then it's a low act to blindside the club by meeting rival CEOs and demanding a trade when he knows our gameplan is built around him.

The thing about "we don't know why Essendon put out a public statement two days before Trade Period, Swans weren't expecting it"....

Are they morons? This isn't Sydney. People here actually give a s**t about what AFL players do in the off-season, especially if it's a big club, especially if it's Essendon, especially if it's a star player, and more especially if it's a father-son legacy player by the name of Joe Daniher.

You cannot attempt to poach a player that is as symbolic of a club as he is and expect it to happen quietly, and especially not in the Melbourne fishbowl with twits like McClure and Barrett sniffing around looking for any excuse to write about one of the big clubs. Better yet if it brings home the bacon for 6-12 months afterwards.

And that's before you get to the guernsey burning, membership card microwaving, rabid fanbase that would not have stood for being lied to and then blindsided about something as important as that.

Not to mention that Joe's whole problem with Essendon right now is exactly all of that ^. It's like a flashing neon sign - the only reason he is gettable is the exact same reason why it's almost impossible to get done and definitely not going to get done quietly.
I'm glad we've kept Joe to his contract and I hope he decides he does want to be at Essendon, but I feel a bit naive thinking he'll just fall in love with the club again. I don't think he fell out of love necessarily with the club as much as the fishbowl.

Barrett's mo is to keep turning the screws on this. It will be a story until well after Joe pulls on a Sydney guernsey. We have a problem and it's Barrett and his willingness to help create a mental health issue.

I can't say I'm impressed with Daniher's actions either TBH. If reports that he is fit again are correct then it's a low act to blindside the club by meeting rival CEOs and demanding a trade when he knows our gameplan is built around him.
I don't disagree on Daniher but the blindsiding you mention would be a good enough reason alone to let him go - Then use the picks to create a strong midfield where you don't need a dominant key forward to win games.

I'm not saying the club 100% erred here because Sydney are pretty cagey.and had more planning time for the trade negotiations by the sound of it. My concern is that I don't see indicators that Essendon is well run and that always means you miss opportunities. We may have just missed a big opportunity to address list imbalances by off-loading one (or 2) injury prone forwards who don't really want to he with us and for what gain? 2 Danihers and a fit Fantasia weren't going to get us over West Coast, let alone Richmond. We are nowhere near it where it counts.

Sounds like he might be a fan of A Tale of Two Cities:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way—in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only. "

Incidentally I feel like Bigfooty in general is a bit like this.
A guillotine could come in handy when dealing with certain media types.

They never put pick 5 on the table. They wanted to offer pick 9 and a future first round.
that seems right. I was going off Tom Harley and Charlie Gardner
Swans: the club were told early in the trade period that Picks 5 and 9 wouldn’t be enough
Maybe things softened over the course of the week, if you're hearing otherwise.

They never put pick 5 on the table. They wanted to offer pick 9 and a future first round.
Playing devil's advocate here but I can totally understand why they did not put up pick 5. Joe is still a big risk who has hardly played for 2 years. They had to draw a line.

I'm glad we've kept Joe to his contract and I hope he decides he does want to be at Essendon, but I feel a bit naive thinking he'll just fall in love with the club again. I don't think he fell out of love necessarily with the club as much as the fishbowl.

Barrett's mo is to keep turning the screws on this. It will be a story until well after Joe pulls on a Sydney guernsey. We have a problem and it's Barrett and his willingness to help create a mental health issue.

I agree - I expect that at some point next season if things are out of shape he will step away from footy... Bookmark this post.
So much for avoiding the limelight. It will be on 11.

I cannot see Essendon holding things in shape for him... rabble.

Kane cornes absolutely roasted our culture talking about daniher this morning on SEN. Most of it I didn’t disagree with, I think our club liked promote how tight knit and happy our playing group is and in reality it’s not.

I think that is a false reading of the scenario. Dodoro stated he wanted a player, if he’d stated he wanted picks they would have offered 5. The difference between 9 and a future first and 5 and 9 is negligible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't have to like Barrett to agree that what he says makes a lot of sense in light of everything. He might be wrong still but it would explain what we actually saw. If Sydney had actually courted him then they must have known they would have to pay overs to get him but it appears as though they would only part with picks commensurate with an injury prone player.

On the face of it it looks as though our stand could cost us a lot. I suspect Sydney will still trade for him next year but if he misses a slab due to injury we will get almost nothing. But our stance has to be considered in the long term for current players - if you screw us over whilst still contracted then we will make life difficult for you. Of course, that might just make players more reluctant to sign contracts.

I think that is a false reading of the scenario. Dodoro stated he wanted a player, if he’d stated he wanted picks they would have offered 5. The difference between 9 and a future first and 5 and 9 is negligible.
In a normal draft it might be neglible, but next year's is highly compromised. And if Daniher was playing for them fully fit, a first could easily be 12-14 which would be closer to 18-20 after academy and father son picks.

Barrett is such a toad; instead of just writing an article with facts (that he clearly seems to have plenty of in this case) to provide some element of clarity around the situation, he turns it in to a pot-shot at everything Essendon; Daniher, Dodoro, Richardson etc...

It would have been a far more interesting article if he just wrote it without jabs at individuals, instead he's the usual smug piece of s**t that he is.

We are wide open to negative press in regards to Joe and the coaching set up. Probably the easiest target in the AFL at the moment, especially since 2019 only just finished and we wont get a chance to shut anyone up until march next year. Until we start winning games, you can expect constant negativity aimed at the club.

We are wide open to negative press in regards to Joe and the coaching set up. Probably the easiest target in the AFL at the moment, especially since 2019 only just finished and we wont get a chance to shut anyone up until march next year. Until we start winning games, you can expect constant negativity aimed at the club.

2 minutes later

THEY SAID THERE'D BE CLEAN AIR

Never forget during the ASADA bullshit, y'know, the issue that could have enormous health ramifications for so many young men and their kids, etc, as the media constantly reminded all and sundry, Jon Ralph then described it is the 'gift that keeps on giving'.

* the media. By default, I don't trust the campaigners. The amount of fawning over Sam MacClure over his Joe story being on the mark (for once) was sickening, especially when the flog was off the mark multiple times before that week was out!

Never forget during the ASADA bullshit, y'know, the issue that could have enormous health ramifications for so many young men and their kids, etc, as the media constantly reminded all and sundry, Jon Ralph then described it is the 'gift that keeps on giving'.

fu** the media. By default, I don't trust the campaigners. The amount of fawning over Sam MacClure over his Joe story being on the mark (for once) was sickening, especially when the flog was off the mark multiple times before that week was out!
Adam Tomlinson should get credit for the story not Sam McClure 😂

In a normal draft it might be neglible, but next year's is highly compromised. And if Daniher was playing for them fully fit, a first could easily be 12-14 which would be closer to 18-20 after academy and father son picks.

Depends, I don't have Ash or Young in the top 5 but it's looking like they'll fall there.

You’d think if Sydney were serious they’d have put 5 & 9 on the table regardless of whether they expected us to accept.

The fact that they offered worse picks when 5 apparently wasn’t going to get the deal done seems like a pretty good indication that the real reason was that they simply weren’t willing to part with pick 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back