Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

Remove this Banner Ad

So what happened the second time? It's not a long bow to draw at all.

Too little, too late. 8 years man. I'm surprised more didn't leave.

Have a read of the last two pages of the thread. But it's not ALL on the club. SAGA + OP, no matter who's fault, I would want a fresh start too.

He is a once in a generation talent. Why would he want to stay at Essendon because he is a Daniher? If anything it's probably another thing that he wanted to disassociate from.

If you're a Daniher fan then you will want to see him do well.

I was going to ask boncer34 what he thought the reason players were leaving was but this is probably it.

At the end of the day it's pretty straight forward in one sense, we're not very good. Pushing the limits leading to the SAGA aside we have never gotten back to the basics required to rebuild. The common theme for Dainher, Saad and Fantasia is that they are old enough to see it and young enough and good enough to get out. The same cannot be said for the likes of Hooker, Hurley, Zaharakis, etc who all started their careers a generation earlier and probably all reached the point of wisdom once it was too late (which is also not to say they all wanted out). Clearly Merrett is going through the same thing as Daniher, etc, the club seems to admit as much.

An end of season review of players who are poor leaders resulted in feed back to the effect that the players wanted more direction and less empowerment. That's a very strange combination in my view. I think it speaks to a pretty dysfunctional environment. We've watched a complete inability or refusal to evolve the game plan. We've heard that there is divide along generation with the more experienced guys not adhering to team rules. I think it's a real indictment that we lost two guys of general talent who went back to Ireland. COVID only exacerbated what was already there, it didn't create problems for any club.

On one view it is weakness of character on the part of those who have left but, ultimately, they didn't really owe anyone anything and they were entitled to want to leave. I can understand it and in any other industry their departure for this reason wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

Having said all of that, Joe, don't make me hate you. You're not in a position to point any fingers so either tell all and accept your portion of responsibility or please shut up.

Didn't know that. Was that something he said?

There was an article which quoted BJ about his lack of professionalism recovering from injury. The lying about the extent of it initially came from my physio who knew fitness staff at the club, so perhaps that's not common knowledge.

So what happened the second time? It's not a long bow to draw at all.

He hadn't done his rehab properly. He was called out on that by Goddard IIRC. He's got a large part of the blame as to why he spent three years sidelined. Not all of it, but more than he'd have people believe.

Too little, too late. 8 years man. I'm surprised more didn't leave.

Me too, but they couldn't all leave, there's only so many list spots. And besides that there's always the money, it isn't as though he wasn't being paid very well.

Have a read of the last two pages of the thread. But it's not ALL on the club. SAGA + OP, no matter who's fault, I would want a fresh start too.

He is a once in a generation talent. Why would he want to stay at Essendon because he is a Daniher? If anything it's probably another thing that he wanted to disassociate from.

Why would he want to stay? Perhaps to pay back the club/fans for the three years he was paid to pretty much do sweet * all? I know that's a novel concept, but hey I'm an old fashioned kinda guy.

If you're a Daniher fan then you will want to see him do well.

That's just it, I'm an Essendon fan. If he does well good for him but I wont lose any sleep if he doesn't, he's an opposition player whose success by definition is bad for us.

Why would he want to stay? Perhaps to pay back the club/fans for the three years he was paid to pretty much do sweet fu** all? I know that's a novel concept, but hey I'm an old fashioned kinda guy.
This is a massive fallacy and people are inconsistent with it. No one gives Courtney Johns a hard time because of his injuries. Daniher cops it because he was meant to deliver us 17 and now he's gone.

But back to your original point, are you any clearer on the mistakes the club made with Joe?

This is a massive fallacy and people are inconsistent with it. No one gives Courtney Johns a hard time because of his injuries.

Not at all. I give Daniher no more of a hard time for being injured than I did Johns.

Daniher cops it because he was meant to deliver us 17 and now he's gone.

He cops it from me due to his actions once injured and then recovered.

But back to your original point, are you any clearer on the mistakes the club made with Joe?

On what you think they are yes, though I don’t agree with you. The whole poor Joe stick is something I don’t accept. He happily took big money to do nothing and then as soon as he was fit ****ed off to another club.

Last edited:
This is a massive fallacy and people are inconsistent with it. No one gives Courtney Johns a hard time because of his injuries. Daniher cops it because he was meant to deliver us 17 and now he's gone.

Johns retired
Daniher spent the better part of 2018, 19 and 20 on the pine, then left for Brisbane as he came good
I get the angst amongst the fans. He's a Lions player now. I wish him the same success i do all their players....very little unless they're playing norf.

But, we did this to ourselves as a club.
I'm more pissy we didn't take the deal from the Swans
Regardless of whoever we got last year for 9, Logan McDonald would have had me asking Joe who?

On what you think they are yes, though I don’t agree with you. The whole poor Joe stick is something I don’t accept. He happily took big money to do nothing and then as soon as he was fit f’ed off to another club.
Who's saying poor Joe? I'm saying salty dons fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ah.
delisted/retired. same thing :p
I know you're semi taking the piss but you've hit the nail on the head for me.

We delisted Courtney Johns, nobody gave a s**t because we thought it'd make us better. Zero loyalty to Courtney.

Joe leaves because he thinks it'll make him a better footballer and people get bent out of shape for him not being loyal.

We delisted Courtney Johns, nobody gave a sh*t because we thought it'd make us better. Zero loyalty to Courtney.

Joe leaves because he thinks it'll make him a better footballer and people get bent out of shape for him not being loyal.
But that's the bargain that a professional AFL footballer has to accept. The only reason why they can be professionals in the first place is the revenue that members and supporters tip into the game. The AFL trades on their passion and loyalty.

But that's the bargain that a professional AFL footballer has to accept. The only reason why they can be professionals in the first place is the revenue that members and supporters tip into the game. The AFL trades on their passion and loyalty.
So loyalty only goes one way?

So loyalty only goes one way?
Well in terms of Courtney Johns, he only gets on a list if x players come off every year. So the club and the player can only ever be loyal to each other to a point.

But fans being bent out of shape when the Joe Danihers of the world move on is a product of the fans relationship with the game. The industry wholly taps their loyalty and passion to the club and players and it's only partly returned in kind.

Well in terms of Courtney Johns, he only gets on a list if x players come off every year. So the club and the player can only ever be loyal to each other to a point.

But fans being bent out of shape when the Joe Danihers of the world move on is a product of the fans relationship with the game. The industry wholly taps their loyalty and passion to the club and players and it's only partly returned in kind.
I disagree. I get passion and loyalty to a club but expecting players to share the same loyalty isn't logical.

Especially when the club show their fans zero loyalty, calling it partly returned is being extremely kind to clubs.

But to each their own mate.

We delisted Courtney Johns, nobody gave a sh*t because we thought it'd make us better. Zero loyalty to Courtney.

Joe was taking the piss almost the whole time he was at the club. I'd have been bent out of shape if he stayed. I'm not sure he left to be a better footballer.

For every guy thats left there's been some piss ant excuse to validate them as the issue

Joe with the op and dodgy practices
Raz with the family ties, lack of application
Saad with the money and not liking his role
Smack with whatever smack said.... All along you've managed to angle it toward the player, never the club.

I look forward to the gymnastics used when Merrett goes as to why or how it's his fault. This one should and will be the wake up call the kool aiders need to realise s**t, maybe something ain't kosher round ere!

For every guy thats left there's been some piss ant excuse to validate them as the issue

Joe with the op and dodgy practices
Raz with the family ties, lack of application
Saad with the money and not liking his role
Smack with whatever smack said.... All along you've managed to angle it toward the player, never the club.

I look forward to the gymnastics used when Merrett goes as to why or how it's his fault. This one should and will be the wake up call the kool aiders need to realise sh*t, maybe something ain't kosher round ere!
The players themselves come up with those lines most of the time. It’s not a good look to s**t on your old club/player.... just look at the Treloar situation.

The players themselves come up with those lines most of the time. It’s not a good look to sh*t on your old club/player.... just look at the Treloar situation.
No one aside from petty Collingwood supporters think ill of Treloar for being honest about what happened to him at Collingwood.

Howie is spot on.

The players themselves come up with those lines most of the time. It’s not a good look to sh*t on your old club/player.... just look at the Treloar situation.
And naive supporters parrot them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back