Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love big leapin joe more 4han anyone and I know last year was a write off for injury...but if he is gonna stamp.his mark on the Competition, now is the time to do.it, incredibly gifted and talented, would be nice to.see this put together and prove us wrong but I'm expecting an elite performance for Leapin Joe and hop he can deliver

Nick thinks with how much Joe struggled in his 6 games last year that he doesn't know how to play as a key forward
None so blind as he who will not see? Haha. I never really watched Saints games but did Nick ever try playing through OP? Joe’s only a 1xAA, maybe when he’s a 5xAA Nick will be able to identify with him better. Not that Nick was ever 200cm. Different eras.

None so blind as he who will not see? Haha. I never really watched Saints games but did Nick ever try playing through OP? Joe’s only a 1xAA, maybe when he’s a 5xAA Nick will be able to identify with him better. Not that Nick was ever 200cm. Different eras.

Played half his career with a bung knee. He's part of the media stooges now, just reading the words he's handed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting article from Robbo in the Sun today, says Joe is the fourth worst forward for applying pressure in the competition, based on champion data pressure metrics over 2017-18. Obviously last year brings it down a little, but that isn't to say it was a significant departure from form. Also lists the rankings from just last year with Mitch Brown the worst, followed by Smack, Daniher, Stewart and Stringer in order. All below average. I think this highlights the reason we can't go too tall. I'd be looking at playing three smalls to counter it, obvious Fantasia and Tippa are excellent but still think we could fit Mossie in as soon as we can.

Also lambastes him for being too soft and uses a Lloyd anecdote as evidence of a possible change.

Interesting article from Robbo in the Sun today, says Joe is the fourth worst forward for applying pressure in the competition, based on champion data pressure metrics over 2017-18. Obviously last year brings it down a little, but that isn't to say it was a significant departure from form. Also lists the rankings from just last year with Mitch Brown the worst, followed by Smack, Daniher, Stewart and Stringer in order. All below average. I think this highlights the reason we can't go too tall. I'd be looking at playing three smalls to counter it, obvious Fantasia and Tippa are excellent but still think we could fit Mossie in as soon as we can.

Also lambastes him for being too soft and uses a Lloyd anecdote as evidence of a possible change.
I’m curious if the height/pressure correlation is true across the league or if there are tall forwards who tackle?

I suspect it probably would correlate fairly strongly, talls tend to be marking targets up front and would only really be wrestling when a defender engages them 1v1. They’re usually the ones trying to create space under pressure, not applying it. Also if they try to tackle they’d probably catch their opponent high and give away a free?

Yes, the only forward who is a worse kick for goal than Joe should coach him :drunk:

He turned his goal kicking around and his last four years kicked above 65%. It’s also not a surprise he had issues with kicking considering the kms per game and fatigue he endured.

Can you imagine if we brought in a coach to help correct this issue...

I wouldn't be against having Nick Riewoldt working at the club once a week with Joe. If Nick wants to help Joe then the club should invite him.

I'd have a serious issue with this.

Riewoldt is unquestionably a great player, but he was also a deeply flawed player.

Can anyone name a single trait Riewoldt had that Daniher does poorly?

“I’m going to be looking after the team’s defence and also going to be spending some time with the key-position players – not only the defenders, but also the forwards as well – and hopefully get some growth out of them,” he said.

1551515568004.png

Can you imagine if we brought in a coach to help correct this issue...

Who Rutten? Well his influence certainly didn’t show the other night. Our key forwards and even key defenders were still crap at contesting. Hopefully they can flick a switch when the real stuff starts, but I’m not counting on it.

Who Rutten? Well his influence certainly didn’t show the other night. Our key forwards were still crap at contesting. Hopefully they can flick a switch when the real stuff starts, but I’m not counting on it.

What do you think our goal was on Thursday?

Doesn't fit into our fast small forward running down the ground to goal and we have other talls who can lead and take a mark, terrible shot for goal but nice bloke! Trade him if he doesn't kick at least 45 goals this year. Harsh call I know but he is there to kick goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back