Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

Remove this Banner Ad

So, you’re agreeing with me then?
That at the end of the day, the end result usually isn’t a massive difference regardless of whether the player is a “restricted” or “unrestricted” free agent? The player usually gets to where they want. Unrestricted, obviously with zero impediments, and restricted usually with minimal impediments.
As far as the mechanism is concerned UFAs and RFAs are about as different from one another as they can get within the context of the AFL, so no, I don't think they're the same at all. The fact that uncontracted players nearly always get to where they want to go is a separate issue.

If you're framing it in the context of American sports where you can trade players wherever you want for the best value and without their consent then you could argue that even our contracted players are basically free agents, since they also nearly always get to where they want to go. But in that case I don't think we're talking about the same thing anymore at all.

Maybe but we need to make a strong stand as any seller does. He’s a RFA, the buyer wants they pay. Ridiculous just to roll over

Ridiculous to not take a pick inside the top 25 for a bloke who has played 20 games in 3 seasons and can not kick a set shot. We played hard ball last year. How much has that cost us now ?

As well as this do you think we should ease up a little on the hardball trading in negotiations general (I think i recall you saying something about that)?

I'm interested to know if you see us as actually being difficult to deal with and if so should we reposition? If so how would you see that helping us in the future?

Yes we should ease up a bit. I do not mind throwing out a silly offer 3 weeks before the trade period starts but lets move onto serious discussions once that is out of the way. I worked for another club. We have been difficult to deal with, maybe not as bad as some would say but enough for everyone I have worked with to make comment on it at some stage. Sometimes it does not help which is why it has been mentioned that Adrian will be working more closely with Richardson and Rutten.

Well tonight’s result is best case scenario for the bombers I reckon.
could we work with Brisbane where they up their offer for Daniher so we get pick 7 and perhaps trade the pick we receive for Fantasia for mcstay? this is probably too much but worth a shot?
thoughts

Ridiculous to not take a pick inside the top 25 for a bloke who has played 20 games in 3 seasons and can not kick a set shot. We played hard ball last year. How much has that cost us now ?
Ridiculous to just throw up our hands and accept possibly a late 20s pick. Take it to the wire. Right decision by the club last season, hindsight is easy

Ridiculous to just throw up our hands and accept possibly a late 20s pick. Take it to the wire. Right decision by the club last season, hindsight is easy
It was like no one follows USA sports if a player wants a trade last year before a contract ends you do it without hesitation especially when offered fair value. Clueless essendon didn’t.

Well tonight’s result is best case scenario for the bombers I reckon.
could we work with Brisbane where they up their offer for Daniher so we get pick 7 and perhaps trade the pick we receive for Fantasia for mcstay? this is probably too much but worth a shot?
thoughts
So in essence it would be:

Ade/PA in: Fantasia
Ade/PA out: pick 30-ish? At best?

Bri in: Daniher, pick 30-ish?
Bri out: McStay

Ess in: McStay, pick 7
Ess out: Daniher, Fantasia

I don't see it happening but would be okay with it

It was like no one follows USA sports if a player wants a trade last year before a contract ends you do it without hesitation especially when offered fair value. Clueless essendon didn’t.
There’s been a plethora of crap trades in the US. They’re not much better.

Are you sure McStay wants to leave them..and come to us

In fairness, he and foj were two of them that were saying it at the time

Yes we should ease up a bit. I do not mind throwing out a silly offer 3 weeks before the trade period starts but lets move onto serious discussions once that is out of the way. I worked for another club. We have been difficult to deal with, maybe not as bad as some would say but enough for everyone I have worked with to make comment on it at some stage. Sometimes it does not help which is why it has been mentioned that Adrian will be working more closely with Richardson and Rutten.
The working with Rutten more closely thing is around the types of players we target drafting or trading for, so hopefully they can execute his game plan. Richardson is more with the negotiations which we saw when Dodo was gonna pull out of the Shiel deal until Richardson came in and got it done. That felt a bit like McCartney trying to get one back over Dodo from the Stringer deal, so Richardson seemed like a bit of a mediator in that situation. Dodo has got a lot of deals done, the hard to deal with tag seems lazy. I cant think of many deals that we as a club have wanted to get done, that have fallen through due to Dodo being difficult.

i am thinking outside the box a little.
i have no clue if mcstay would want to leave.
however opportunities may be less and we could do with a strong up and down the ground forward while Jones, Eyre and possibly a McDonald or thilthorpe develop. I don’t reckon we would getter a better haul for Daniher and my guess is Brisbane would not want to trade for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The working with Rutten more closely thing is around the types of players we target drafting or trading for, so hopefully they can execute his game plan. Richardson is more with the negotiations which we saw when Dodo was gonna pull out of the Shiel deal until Richardson came in and got it done. That felt a bit like McCartney trying to get one back over Dodo from the Stringer deal, so Richardson seemed like a bit of a mediator in that situation. Dodo has got a lot of deals done, the hard to deal with tag seems lazy. I cant think of many deals that we as a club have wanted to get done, that have fallen through due to Dodo being difficult.
Think what you want. I know for a fact there where clubs who would simply not talk to him at all at one stage. It is never as bad as made out but it is still fact.

Lions got nothing from their key talls tonight and daddy needs a new pair of shoes.

From an outsiders perspective McStay and Daniher offering the structural component and letting Hipwood run around as a 200cm forward pocket makes complete sense and probably makes all 3 more dangerous. He’s their missing piece and tonight basically proved it.

In fairness, he and foj were two of them that were saying it at the time
you are right I have always advocated for joe to be traded last year.
anyone in footy circles in the north west know how unhappy he has been.
if I knew this the club knew it and were too arrogant or foolish not to grant his wish in 2019.
joe actually tried to look after the bombers last year but we were too dumb to take advantage of it.
i for one respect his honesty and integrity through the last 2 years.

i am thinking outside the box a little.
i have no clue if mcstay would want to leave.
however opportunities may be less and we could do with a strong up and down the ground forward while Jones, Eyre and possibly a McDonald or thilthorpe develop. I don’t reckon we would getter a better haul for Daniher and my guess is Brisbane would not want to trade for him.
I doubt it honestly but we'll see

if I knew this the club knew it and were too arrogant or foolish not to grant his wish in 2019.
joe actually tried to look after the bombers last year but we were too dumb to take advantage of it.
I'd add or desperate to that.

Think what you want. I know for a fact there where clubs who would simply not talk to him at all at one stage. It is never as bad as made out but it is still fact.
Sydney felt he was delusional last year.

It is a fact that everyone can see that he gets deals done. Melksham, Ryder, Carlisle, Crameri, Hibberd, Monfries, Shiel, Smith, Stringer, Saad etc. No one is claiming those deals got done. They actually happened. You are claiming (and im not saying you are incorrect) that some clubs at one stage, refused to speak to Dodo. That may be the case. You have inside info that the public is not privy to. What is open to the general public that we have witnessed, is that if a player nominates Essendon or if one of our players is leaving and nominates a club, he gets the deal done. In saying that i dont think Joe last year was even his call. It was a club decision. Just as if theres any truth to Merrett, that will be a club wide decision, not just Dodo.

We really need GWS to go after Daniher. They will have so many picks after Cameron Williams Hately Calwall Corr and possibly others leave. Could easily end up with a couple of firsts around 9 and 10 before academy and other free agency picks.

This must-have been known at the club surely. It's not like it was a secret. He was not staying at Essendon.

Looking at the lions board and their best 22 in 2021 thread and seeing Daniher in their team makes me feel like putting my phone through my tv

Remove this Banner Ad

Back