Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

Remove this Banner Ad

If we match you'll have to I think. Depends on how much you want him I guess. It'll be interesting.
My personal view is I couldn't care less if Daniher comes or stays at Essendon, goes to another club via pre-season or changes sports and becomes a punter for the Dallas Cowboys. I don't believe he is the difference to us winning a premiership. He is nice to have but we were found out in the midfield by Geelong. Not our forwards. I'd much rather take Merrett than Daniher. But that's a story for next year. ;)

My personal view is I couldn't care less if Daniher comes or stays at Essendon, goes to another club via pre-season or changes sports and becomes a punter for the Dallas Cowboys. I don't believe he is the difference to us winning a premiership. He is nice to have but we were found out in the midfield by Geelong. Not our forwards. I'd much rather take Merrett than Daniher. But that's a story for next year. ;)
You wouldn't be posting in here if you didn't care. I agree with you fwiw. If Brisbane don't have to do anything then why should they? It'll get interesting if we try to extract greater value and I reckon we will. At the moment I can't tell what win/win looks like.

If it's band 1 you take it and run, though I doubt that will happen currently unless we can give Brisbane a bit more cap space to play with.

If it's band 2 then I think it depends on what we want to do with the pick.

If we're planning to trade it out anyway (as part of a deal for Caldwell or something) then it doesn't really make a lot of difference whether it's pick 16 or pick 19.

If we want to use that pick to keep us in the first round of the draft to satisfy the 2 in 4 rule, which would allow us to trade out other first round picks that we have or might acquire (for Dunkley?), then it needs to be an actual first rounder to satisfy the rules. 'End of first round' picks don't count.

We could always take the compo pick, then do a pick swap with Brisbane with that compo for one of their first rounders to satisfy the quota.

Is it possible Coleman gets worked into the deal?

Possible in a cosmological "nothing is mathematically impossible" sense, yes.

In our reality, absolutely not. We will be drafting his brother this year too, and he projects as even more talented. Both seen as key parts of our future.

I think Essendon will consider matching the Daniher offer. Even if it goes to trade and Brisbane refuse to deal. Joe ends up at the PSD and maybe with Sydney. Where he would love to play.

Sure pick 20 compo or so is better than nothing, but not much more.

I could see it being done to spite the lions. Also Sydney may pass on Daniher this time if they recruit elsewhere. In which case...... Who knows.

Do Brisbane walk away if we match? I wouldn't have thought they would put the work in to get the public commitment from Joe without considering a matched bid is absolutely on the cards. I wouldn't have thought Joes management would've nominated Brisbane without being confident a deal could be reached either.

If we match and the Lions walk away in this case I think the Swans would be able to convince Joe to come on board via the PSD. The Crows and North would not pick him given where they are at.

If we match and the Lions walk away in this case I think the Swans would be able to convince Joe to come on board via the PSD. The Crows and North would not pick him given where they are at.

And they get him. My point an end of first round on its own doesn't have huge value to us. Just get rid of the cap space and move on from the Daniher disaster.

Crows/North i couldnt see it but yes, the Swans would swoop in PSD no doubt, then theres us who want to keep him as well. I dont think Brisbane will be walking away though.

And they get him. My point an end of first round on its own doesn't have huge value to us. Just get rid of the cap space and move on from the Daniher disaster.

A pick in the twenties has no real value ?
Disagree. Not as great as we may have got last year but picks inside 40 have value. The more picks inside 40 you have the better the chance of finding something decent. Even if we only got 27 for Saad , going into a draft with 6 -19 - 27 before bidding and having two decent academy KP prospects is not a bad hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Essendon will consider matching the Daniher offer. Even if it goes to trade and Brisbane refuse to deal. Joe ends up at the PSD and maybe with Sydney. Where he would love to play.

I could see it being done to spite the lions. Also Sydney may pass on Daniher this time if they recruit elsewhere. In which case...... Who knows.
pick 20 is a shitload better than nothing, we have multiple big trades to get done and we need to use a first round selection. pissing away picks just to spite another team is about the stupidest thing we could do.

You got Jordan Ridley for about pick 20. I think it's a little better than getting nothing, just quietly.

Much like you will have the opportunity to chose to match or take the compensation.

Leuenberger was a high draft pick, with a year or two of top echelon performances and crueled by injuries. At the time when Essendon come calling for him he was a Restricted Free agent. (substitute Daniher for Leuenberger here)
Brisbane attempted to negotiate, manufacture a Win/Win outcome with Essendon (Dodoro) however Essendon was non responsive and non compliant.
Thus Brisbane had the option to match and try negotiating with Essendon for a better deal or accept what Brisbane believed was a very undervalued draft Free Agency pick for Leuew. Brisbane considered matching however ultimately decided it wasn’t worth going through the stress and aggravation of negotiating so just accepted the compensation and moved on to concentrate on other deals.

Tell me why Brisbane now should sit down with Essendon and work together on this? Unfortunately if you have a history of pissing off clubs and don’t have good relationships with other list managers when it’s your turn it tends to be paid back.
By all reports Brisbane has good relationships with most clubs excluding Essendon. However it is not beyond our club to start developing a beneficial relationship with Richardson.

Cool story

The only reason we would want to is to have flexibility with the contract. If not there's no incentive to trade.
Why are you quoting me ? I am the one saying we may have to take the band 2 compo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back