Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane does not expect Essendon to match its offer for restricted free agent Joe Daniher.

The Lions will likely lodge their offer for the tall forward when the Free Agency window opens on Friday, and football manager David Noble told Trade Radio just where the two clubs sat.

"We haven't had that indication (that the Bombers will match)," Noble said.

"We will lodge the paperwork and from there it's something they Bombers will decide."

If Essendon matches Brisbane's offer it would force a trade between the clubs, something Noble conceded the Lions had not spent much time contemplating.

It's sort of odd they haven't contemplated it. Are they expecting us to be happy with Band 2 or are they expecting to trigger Band 1?

It's sort of odd they haven't contemplated it. Are they expecting us to be happy with Band 2 or are they expecting to trigger Band 1?

Could also be they are flat out lying haha.

That'd be my safest bet.

I don't know how much they need to pay to trigger band 1, but you'd think it'd be in their best interest to pay him just enough to trigger that so the whole thing can be over quickly. Unless they're not able to.

I don't know how much they need to pay to trigger band 1, but you'd think it'd be in their best interest to pay him just enough to trigger that so the whole thing can be over quickly. Unless they're not able to.
The top edge of band 2 is historically about 700k guaranteed income (base salary + ASAs), but it moves a bit each year depending on what the top 15 or so salaries are in the over 25 bracket league wide. This year with the season shutdown and players being stood down it's possible that the brackets are also a little bit lower, and with the CBA and salary cap being changed as well.

How much of the “hard to deal with” tag should be placed on Dodoro?
All of it although in recent years his hardball has been more in our best interests and less about trying to get involved in other clubs deals with crazy requests.
Like people say he gets deals done as well but things certainly could go a lot smoother if he would negotiate a bit earlier rather than just taking the CFMEU approach.

Suggest he wants out of Melbourne more than anything to me, given he doesn't appear to have looked at any other VIC based clubs even though he'd be offered more money at a number of them.

Must really hate Melbourne to what give up almost half a million say to stay.

He is a long time retired at 32 from AFL footy to go an enjoy anonymity.

Must really hate Melbourne to what give up almost half a million say to stay.

He is a long time retired at 32 from AFL footy to go an enjoy anonymity.

He’s done pretty well on the compensation front to this point in his career, I’m not sure he’ll be too hard up without the extra.

Plus Brisbane might have offered strong incentives that mean if he stays on the park his earnings are much higher.

Witherden isn’t a “salary dump”. That is Essendon getting a good player that other clubs would also show interest in. Not saying Witho can’t be involved in the deal but it wouldn’t be through the lens of you “taking a liability off our balance sheet”.

Marcus Adams would be a “salary dump”.

Witherden isn’t a “salary dump”. That is Essendon getting a good player.

Yes Witherden is a good player, but not best 22 at Lions. Would be best 22 at Bombers

They’re talking s**t. It’s footy, everybody just talks s**t constantly.

They’re not gonna open a trade can of worms publicly now. It’s a cross-that-bridge-when-we-come-to-it.

They’re talking sh*t. It’s footy, everybody just talks sh*t constantly.

They’re not gonna open a trade can of worms publicly now. It’s a cross-that-bridge-when-we-come-to-it.
There is actually a nice little link to Josh Eyre buried on that page

Witherden isn’t a “salary dump”. That is Essendon getting a good player that other clubs would also show interest in. Not saying Witho can’t be involved in the deal but it wouldn’t be through the lens of you “taking a liability off our balance sheet”.

Can’t even get a game at the Lions and is on decent coin by all reports. Reeks of “salary dump” if you ask me...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The onus isn't really on them to help us though is it...? As much as we would like them to help.
You’re right but if there’s another deal they want a piece of involving Essendon, helping us with Daniher could be in their club’s best interest. Anyway, all speculative until at least Friday.

You’re right but if there’s another deal they want a piece of involving Essendon, helping us with Daniher could be in their club’s best interest. Anyway, all speculative until at least Friday.
Also, a fit and firing Daniher could win them a flag. Big risk/reward but they really want him badly.

How would Adams be a "salary dump"? He's uncontracted and he's not owed a salary by the Lions. Just delist him.

How would Adams be a "salary dump"? He's uncontracted and he's not owed a salary by the Lions. Just delist him.

There is an incorrect article around that misled people into thinking he is out of contract. In reality, 2 years left on a 4 year deal.

Adams has another two years. He is contracted.

There is an incorrect article around that misled people into thinking he is out of contract. In reality, 2 years left on a 4 year deal.

Ah okay, I was going off this - https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-brisbane-lions--marcus-adams

Yikes. Does he get a look in if fit?

I would've been weary of a player who had only been in the AFL system for 3 years, saying "things were getting stale".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back