Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
529550_3845286149481_447816370_n.jpg

Welcome to the Essendon Football Club, Joe Daniher!

NOTE: I know there's already a Player Watch thread on JD, but we have to be somewhat ceremonious! Mods, feel free to merge the two after Thursday or whenever you all decide.

Height: 201cm
Weight: 90kg
D/O/B: 4/3/1994
Position: Full Forward
Drafted From: Calder Cannons, Pick 10, Father/son
Father: Anthony Daniher (118 games for EFC, 1987-1994)

Key Strengths:
  • Huge unit, still needs to add muscle, but height is an enormous advantage
  • Could have easily been a number one draft pick
  • Extremely quick for his size
  • Huge leap
  • Great set of hands, best marking player in the draft
  • Extremely clean at ground level
  • Well rounded, clean skills
  • Dat kicking technique
Weaknesses:
  • Are you kidding? It's Joe f*cking Daniher.
  • Inconsistent kicking? That'd be it.
  • Harpdarp face
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome, potentially, the most exciting recruit to the Essendon Football Club since Brendon Goddard. Wait, hang on.
The 201 centimeter goliath known as JD will be lurking the Essendon forward 50 for many years to come, and we can look forward to a player who will excite fans young and old. Joe is the best marking player in the 2012 draft, and would be, quite simply, a number one draft pick had it not been for his wonderful father Anthony and his 118 games in the 80s and 90s.
He has been dubbed "The best TAC cup player ever" by certain personalities; rated above the likes of Judd, Ablett, and Cotchin. The hype surrounding the kid has been enormous, but he has tackled it with a smile on his face and an Essendon polo hanging off his slightly skinny frame. His skills are extreme, as is his speed for his size- He is an intimidating prospect for any defender. With a full pre-season under his belt under Dean Robinson, we can expect him to improve both physically and aerobically, and, as James Hird said himself, we can also expect Joe to play 10 to 15 games in 2013.
If Joe can improve his at times wayward kicking, he will be an absolute star for the Essendon Football Club. Some would say he is a Gumbleton replacement, but I see Gumby and JD being the future superstars of the Essendon forward line, with Hurley going back.
Welcome, Joe Daniher!

566505-joe-daniher.jpg

Charliebrow 16

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Federer, Birmingham FC
I'm excited to see him up on stage tonight alongside Hird, towering over everyone else and wearing an Essendon guernsey. We're very fortunate to have him, but I couldn't be happier.

Shane Hird

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan The Cult of Robbo Essendon Player Sponsor 2016
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ
The Daniher clan. The greatest footy family in the history of this game.

We are blessed.

They should erect a bronze statue of Jim Daniher at the new ground.

And study his DNA to why he has spawned so many good footy players.

I had forgotten that Anthony never played in a premiership side. He left the Swannies too late for 1984-85, played in 1990 and was injured in 1993.

Not quite as unlucky as Neale, clearly, but still.

So here's to hoping Joe spearheads a flag and brings his particular arm of the Daniher family that elusive flag!

#putslidbackon #waitingforroundone

Shane Hird

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan The Cult of Robbo Essendon Player Sponsor 2016
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ
Dare I say it but he looks a bit Coleman-ish you know..the hair and all.

It's like they got the number 1 pick out of the way early and we have the day to enjoy our good fortune...might buy some cans of 'JD' to celebrate tonight:thumbsu:

The AFL decided to drop accouncing the top 10 draft picks in reverse order this year, but the number 1 player is still going to be the 10th player called out. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back