Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably wins the Coleman Medal without his stints in the ruck this year. Hoping we can find someone else to play that chop out / part time ruck role next
year and let Joey be a constant threat in the forward line, he doesn't really add that much in the ruck in regards to hit out's and clearances.

He probably wins the Crichton Medal because of his stints in the ruck - Rather he win a Crichton medal then a Coleman medal.

He probably wins the Crichton Medal because of his stints in the ruck - Rather he win a Crichton medal then a Coleman medal.
I would prefer a Coleman as I made a sizeable bet with a mate 2 years ago that he wins one by 2020

Yeah but have you seen the Howe family toilet store in tassie?
maxresdefault.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a few concerns for Joe - just fleeting but they are there

I was watching him ultra close on Friday night - they played him to perfection.

Anytime he would go to make a run, or a run and jump for the ball they would check his body - he'd either lose all momentum or not even get to jump at it.

just hoping its a trend other defenders don't take up, because it can really curtail him as he isn't really body strong.

I realize the easy fix is to move him up the ground for spells, because he is just as good up toward a wing then wheeling back, easier to get lost in the mix that way.

I have a few concerns for Joe - just fleeting but they are there

I was watching him ultra close on Friday night - they played him to perfection.

Anytime he would go to make a run, or a run and jump for the ball they would check his body - he'd either lose all momentum or not even get to jump at it.

just hoping its a trend other defenders don't take up, because it can really curtail him as he isn't really body strong.

I realize the easy fix is to move him up the ground for spells, because he is just as good up toward a wing then wheeling back, easier to get lost in the mix that way.

Talia's one of the better stoppers in the competition; did he play on Daniher most of the night?

Yep - Talia was outstanding. A brilliant shut down player.

I thought Joe did ok, had enough shots but was a bit wayward; could have easily had another 2-3 goals just from the opportunities he had, and Talia held him well.

Nice to know what we still have plenty of improvement in our players after Friday night; no Merrett, Orazio or Gleeson, Daniher quiet, Stringer passable but no goals, Saad playing a shut down role, McKenna fairly quiet as well.

I thought Joe did ok, had enough shots but was a bit wayward; could have easily had another 2-3 goals just from the opportunities he had, and Talia held him well.

Nice to know what we still have plenty of improvement in our players after Friday night; no Merrett, Orazio or Gleeson, Daniher quiet, Stringer passable but no goals, Saad playing a shut down role, McKenna fairly quiet as well.

Agreed.

When you have a guy like Daniher, who's effectively capable of tearing games apart, a shutdown player like Talia becomes invaluable.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's perfect and will 'turn off the lights' so to speak but if all Joe can do is have limited impact which includes a few marks and 2 goals then that's a damn good game from Talia.

He's All Australian for a reason too :thumbsu:.

understand how good Talia is - im just saying that's the blueprint for stopping or curtailing Joe, just check his body as he is making his move.

You don't have to be quick, be able to jump high or have a long reach, just need to know where to be and when to body check.

Can others do it? who knows

understand how good Talia is - im just saying that's the blueprint for stopping or curtailing Joe, just check his body as he is making his move.

You don't have to be quick, be able to jump high or have a long reach, just need to know where to be and when to body check.

Rampe from Sydney very good at it too. Both times he played Joe last year he was brilliant. Also very quick (quicker than Talia I reckon).

Agreed. Having said that his diving mark in the last was impressive. Hartigan tried to check his body as Joe was starting for the ball.

Hartigan managed to unbalance him but Joe showed the body strength to right himself and take the mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back