Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inco
Could just be the end of a hard training session or lack of conditioning if he hasn’t been allowed to train properly... perhaps too many weights. But he looks quite slow and heavy to me, not like his old self.
Yes, didn’t look great - I had the same impression as you... but I’m telling myself it’s inadequate evidence.

Could just be the end of a hard training session or lack of conditioning if he hasn’t been allowed to train properly... perhaps too many weights. But he looks quite slow and heavy to me, not like his old self.

It was a 3/4 pace drill and some of the first change of direction running he has done. Given he has OP he has not been doing much in the weight room. One of the worst things you can do . Remember he has just been doing long slow/medium pace running so far. No change of direction and no kicking. He is not going to be charging out of the blocks in his first step up.:)

I'm taking every report with a grain of salt.

Has anyone seen him galloping like a gazelle? I'm yet to see any footage of him striding out, even that footage only had short steps.

I'm happy they're being ultra conservative with him, but concerned that he's still a very long way off.

I'll curb my enthusiasm until I see vision of him marking at the highest point

bOSFWlH.jpg

My mate is at it again - he's even made a list of current key forwards and their average goals per game. Daniher currently sits 12th which shocked me a little;-

1. Franklin ave goals per game: 3.2, games: 290
2. Josh Kennedy ave goals per game: 2.5, games: 221
3. Jeremy Cameron ave goals per game: 2.5, games: 130
4. Jack Riewoldt ave goals per game: 2.4, games: 249
5. Tex Walker ave goals per game: 2.3, games: 167

6. Ben Brown ave goals per game: 2.2, games: 99
7. Tom Hawkins ave goals per game: 2.1, games: 232
8. Jesse Hogan ave goals per game: 2.1, games: 71
9. Josh Jenkins ave goals per game: 2, games: 136
10. Jack Darling ave goals per game: 1.9, games: 172

11. Tom Lynch ave goals per game: 1.9, games: 131
12. Daniher ave goals per game: 1.8, games: 100

He says that doesn't even include players like Betts, Gunston, Menzel & Bruest all who have higher goal averages than Joe.
The stats really dont lie, and throw in Joe's OP issues maybe I - and probably a lot of other Essendon supporters really have and really do over rate and over hype Joe Daniher :(
Other than tom lynch, all of those players have played in multiple prelim finals.
Name one team Joe has played with in essendon colours that have come close to that quality. Delivery and quality are a factor in his numbers.

That is aside from the fact he is only 24 and had OP for half of last year. The guy was AA 15 months ago for goodness sake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other than tom lynch, all of those players have played in multiple prelim finals.
Name one team Joe has played with in essendon colours that have come close to that quality. Delivery and quality are a factor in his numbers.

That is aside from the fact he is only 24 and had OP for half of last year. The guy was AA 15 months ago for goodness sake.

He might not get back to that now I hope I'm wrong.

No they didn't. They would have treated him a lot earlier if Joe had of told them the full extent of the injury. OP comes in many forms. Heppell played all of last season with it as did Buddy Franklin and a number of other players at various clubs. Joe thought he was doing the right thing in pushing on and not admitting how bad it was . The lesson is somethings being a man and pushing through an injury is not the right way to go.
Hard for the club to be treating mild groin soreness when it was in fact a pretty serious case of OP.
He is no good thing to be ready by round 1 either. It is very 50/50 at the moment, not because he is currently badly effected but more because they are taking it very slowly and have not pushed the workload yet.

but isn't it a case of not actually knowing if its fixed until you increase the workload?

its like not checking the balance at the ATM because you don't want to know you have no money...

Just increase the load and find out

but isn't it a case of not actually knowing if its fixed until you increase the workload?

its like not checking the balance at the ATM because you don't want to know you have no money...

Just increase the load and find out

Because slowly building the workload instead of just going balls out after no build up is a great idea.

I also like to avoid doing any form of warm up prior to flat out sprints.

Because slowly building the workload instead of just going balls out after no build up is a great idea.

I also like to avoid doing any form of warm up prior to flat out sprints.

you say that like its a joke but that was my motto :), why waste energy warming up when you can save it all for the game.. still 40 years without a muscle pull! You do your run throughs and stretches, ill be in the can doing my nervous poo before the game, see you at the first bounce.

You don't see the king of the jungle a lion stretch before it takes down a gazelle, that's why I don't stretch before working out.
Also not one muscle injury.

Did the lion at least do pilates, plyometics or interval training? hmmm they have no OP but I guess they haven't reached the diagnosis stage yet in the okvango deltas and asscociated leagues, still very primative

you say that like its a joke but that was my motto :), why waste energy warming up when you can save it all for the game.. still 40 years without a muscle pull! You do your run throughs and stretches, ill be in the can doing my nervous poo before the game, see you at the first bounce.
at least you're stretching something pre-game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back