Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Smart money is on him asking for a trade again at the end of the season but... 12 months is a long time in footy, playing well and winning alongside Jakey, Tippa and plenty of his best mates can change his mind fairly easily.

He's my favorite player I make no apologies for that, I believe he's our 1 true shining light in terms of challenging for a premiership in the short term.

If he leaves next year we will probably receive less compensation sure, but we would have had 12 months to plan and prepare for that, I don't think 1 additional pick in the 10-15 range is the difference between success or failure.

Hope the fans get around him early so he can get his head straight and make everything easier.

the PILL

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2007
VICTORIA
AFL Club
Essendon
Hope the fans get around him early so he can get his head straight and make everything easier.

I just don't see this statement as really having any bearing on the matter influence wise since he is/has pretty much been universally loved by them all along. If anything it has been (fan love) one of the catalysts to the perceived pressure on him.

His problem is with the club and it's just mind blowing that somewhere in our clubs culture makeup that a star of Joes caliber wants out so badly.

This interview is virtually a carbon copy of the 360 propaganda interview, heavily scripted on the vanilla responses as too weakishly try and quell speculation in the up coming year but we all know he's going to have the magnifying glass on him the entire year.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I just don't see this statement as really having any bearing on the matter influence wise since he is/has pretty much been universally loved by them all along. If anything it has been (fan love) one of the catalysts to the perceived pressure on him.

His problem is with the club and it's just mind blowing that somewhere in our clubs culture makeup that a star of Joes caliber wants out so badly.

This interview is virtually a carbon copy of the 360 propaganda interview, heavily scripted on the vanilla responses as too weakishly try and quell speculation in the up coming year but we all know he's going to have the magnifying glass on it the entire year.

I was basically saying "don't boo him"

He's had a shocking couple of years, he had the game taken away from him and it got to his head, I don't think it reflects that poorly on the club in my opinion.

As for the interview, not sure what else anyone could really want, media will speculate all year and the club and Joe will just need to deal with it, comes back to my initial point us fans can make it easier on the club and Joe by letting the trade request go and just focus on 2020.

I love the guy, and respect him. If in 12 months time he still wants to leave then so be it. If he feels even now that he wishes he got to Sydney for 2020, so be it. It's gonna hurt bad when (if? can we say if? no? ok :( ) he pulls on a Sydney jumper, but I'm not going to spend the next 12 months being salty about it. Just have to face the reality and get on with it - que sera sera.

thaibomber

Team Captain
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Call me a pessimist but my read is he will play a few games, nurse himself through the season ... and will be as gone as a wild goose in winter at the end of the season.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Was a little encouraging in that his decision to leave wasn’t because of Melbourne fishbowl, just a fresh start due to frustration.
Thats what i read into it also. Anyone who'd had his 2 years would be crazy not to want a fresh start somewhere else (especially when good cash is on offer). Its now our job as much as his to get him playing 20 games next year. If that happens it completely changes everything.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Smart money is on him asking for a trade again at the end of the season but... 12 months is a long time in footy, playing well and winning alongside Jakey, Tippa and plenty of his best mates can change his mind fairly easily.

He's my favorite player I make no apologies for that, I believe he's our 1 true shining light in terms of challenging for a premiership in the short term.

If he leaves next year we will probably receive less compensation sure, but we would have had 12 months to plan and prepare for that, I don't think 1 additional pick in the 10-15 range is the difference between success or failure.

This is why the majority are happy to keep Joe and see what happens. The compo recieved next year wont be much different, maybe slightly less at worst. Round in circles but obviously we'll match and force a trade dangerfield/kelly style, if he still wants to leave.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Thats what i read into it also. Anyone who'd had his 2 years would be crazy not to want a fresh start somewhere else (especially when good cash is on offer). Its now our job as much as his to get him playing 20 games next year. If that happens it completely changes everything.
Why would you want to go somewhere else whilst injured ? Personally i'd want to recover in an environment I was comfortable and settled, with all my mates at the club with management and support staff I was familiar with and respected - if that was actually the situation.

It's no stretch to think Joe is less than happy with a few factors at the club to want to leave whilst still injured, and If this is the case.he wouldn't be announcing those reasons at today's presser that's for sure.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Why would you want to go somewhere else whilst injured ? Personally i'd want to recover in an environment I was comfortable and settled, with all my mates at the club with management and support staff I was familiar with and respected - if that was actually the situation.

It's no stretch to think Joe is less than happy with a few factors at the club to want to leave whilst still injured, and If this is the case.he wouldn't be announcing those reasons at today's presser that's for sure.
One reason you'd want to leave whilst injured is guaranteed money by another club. The other is that you'd spent 2 years in 1 environment and nothing improved so you thought maybe a change would do you good. Franklin, menzal and Cunningham all had the same surgery and surgeon that JOEY!!! had, so maybe he also thought sydney would be a better option to get him right. Im still of the belief that if Joe plays 20 games and we play finals he stays. If we dont and he asks to leave i still think we will be well compensated. Well worth the risk of (at worst) slightly less than 9 and a future 1st.

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Assuming he gets his body right, I hope the mindset is similar to that of T Kelly’s & he produces the goods, even if he still harbours a desire to leave.

Who knows what our fwd line can produce with Raz, Joe, Jake, Tippa all on song for a full season?

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Assuming he gets his body right, I hope the mindset is similar to that of T Kelly’s & he produces the goods, even if he still harbours a desire to leave.

Who knows what our fwd line can produce with Raz, Joe, Jake, Tippa all on song for a full season?
No one knows, thats whats exciting. Imagine those 4 fully fit in a final. With Devon Smith fit as well. And a fit Hurley and Hooker. Its not guaranteed but its not out of the question either.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Re: compo, should his body fail again - does this affect what the mystical AFL compo formula says we would get?

Assuming Sydney would still have a dip at trying to get him right, whats the compo based on, would it be what contract offer Sydney are willing to make?

If he dosent play a game next year due to inj, stocks have fallen pretty low, Syd offer 3 years at 500- would he be like a 2nd rd compo? (or we might even match that)

i dunno, all this talk of people saying we get another year out of him and the compo wont be much worse - is tempting fate.

Back